DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUN 2020

In today's BTE, they literally shouted back and forth, "no, you're the worst wrestler in AEW!" at each other. I really enjoy the company having clear levels and avoiding 50/50 booking. I think the wrestlers could sometimes do a better job of fitting that into their matches though. Nobody did that better than '90s All Japan. 

13 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

In today's BTE, they literally shouted back and forth, "no, you're the worst wrestler in AEW!" at each other. I really enjoy the company having clear levels and avoiding 50/50 booking. I think the wrestlers could sometimes do a better job of fitting that into their matches though. Nobody did that better than '90s All Japan. 

I wouldn't exactly call that era of AJPW 50/50 booking. You rarely saw Misawa lose... Kawada spent that entire run as being the guy "not good enough", and Akiyama wasted his youth being the whipping boy.

I think the only real 50/50 booking they did was with Kobashi. You never really knew if he was going to win or lose when he would go up against another top shelf talent.

I think you misread me or I wasn't clear. AJPW had the best clear striations in their roster compared to any other promotion in history (anyone we have footage of and is worth watching). Even within the matches, it was clear where everybody stood on the pecking order, especially in tags. Sometimes AEW is guilty of not doing that or enough of that, working 50/50 within the match or giving the guy who's going to lose the 60 to the winner's 40. I think it was Dean who posted a Hansen vs. Kikuchi match from '92 a couple months back and that is such a great example of what a star vs. lower card wrestler match should look like. Stan ate him up for the first 4 minutes of a 6 minute match. Just beat the piss out of him. Nobody sells an ass beating better than Kikuchi and I don't think there's anybody better at distributing one than Hansen, so it's kinda unfair to pull this example out as they are two prime archetypes. Eventually, Kikuchi avoided one Hansen move and threw everything he could muster at Hansen while still selling before he succumbed in the end. Everybody knew the outcome but it was still riveting. Hansen's dominance was barely questioned, so he still looks like the king of the mountain. Meanwhile Kikuchi gained a lot from taking Hansen's offense valiantly and getting his while he could. 

Edited by Oyaji

13 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Drinkin' beer and watchin' DARK. Why are Joey Janela and Vickie Guerrero not an item 

So...for a brief moment, I forgot what folder I was in and I thought you were talking about DARK on Netflix. I started wondering who on that series you could see as Janela or Vickie.

It was all very confusing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Luther, Serpenticio, and Max Caster was like the best WAR Six-Man team I've seen in a while. I'm glad I finally figured out who that guy in the shiny jacket we've been seeing in the audience is (Max), but what's his gimmick exactly? He came in with a mic and was singing and had musical notes on his pants, so musician? I also dug the (possible) angle that only Serpenticio can control Luther.

I double posted SEE BELOW

Edited by Tromatagon

8 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Luther, Serpenticio, and Max Caster was like the best WAR Six-Man team I've seen in a while. I'm glad I finally figured out who that guy in the shiny jacket we've been seeing in the audience is (Max), but what's his gimmick exactly? He came in with a mic and was singing and had musical notes on his pants, so musician? I also dug the (possible) angle that only Serpenticio can control Luther.

He's a shoot musician

He also does the NOD rap on the Major Wrestling Fig Podcast

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

He's a shoot musician

He also does the NOD rap on the Major Wrestling Fig Podcast

Major WF Pod has some good bump music and the NOD rap is pretty good as well.

Per Tony Khan - Jon Moxley had contact with someone who had contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19

AEW doctor's told Moxley to stay away until he got tested so he is off tonight's show

Brian Cage will still wrestle... someone

EDIT - QT Marshall too

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Per Tony Khan - Jon Moxley had contact with someone who had contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19

AEW doctor's told Moxley to stay away until he got tested so he is off tonight's show

Brian Cage will still wrestle... someone

Re: Moxley 

Apparently, that's also why QT isn't on the show. He was told to stay in GA and get tested.

38 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Good on them for being cautious but that’s probably a bit much with Mox. Technically if you’ve left your house you’ve likely encountered someone who encountered someone by this point.

That's everyday for me.

• Like 1

In fairness from what I've seen I really don't know that they need any more build before the big show for that match anyway so there's no real need to take chances. It's Moxley getting his ass beat by Cage, then trying to rally. We get it, we're either in or we're not.

It is already in the general thread but I am putting it here for the context of why some of the AEW guys are getting the secondary contact warnings

• Like 1

From the story on F4WOnline:

AEW had already pulled Jon Moxley and QT Marshall from the show tonight because each had been in contact over the past week with someone who later tested positive for COVID. Moxley actually made the decision himself knowing it was not worth the risk to the locker room.

• Like 2

Long version of the Joey & Sonny video that was just on Dynamite:

Much better than the short version.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Despite Joey not covering himself in glory, to say the fucking least the last couple of days, that was a tremendous Lucha Underground debut video. He threw a burrito at a man's face and hit grown men with Lunchables.

edit: I can't stop watching Brodie Lee throw those papers at Wait & See Uno. The sound they make, the sound Uno makes, the way he sells it, Jonboy and Reynolds trying to not break character, Lee's delivery. Oscar calibre stuff.

Edited by Oyaji

On 6/24/2020 at 1:55 AM, Death From Above said:

Honestly most of their underneath people I've seen seem fairly well picked. I hope a few of them stick around long enough to develop into something.

I wonder if AEW could start a version of the Young Lion program with their jobbers.  Have them get slaughtered for a year or two as job guys, take the ones with promise, send them away for a year or two to learn somewhere else, then bring them back with a new gimmick/restart their record (maybe say it's because they were "re-signed" so their record starts over)

• Like 1

Not a shot against you, but I think people should probably stop trying to project the things they like about New Japan onto an American company that is not in any way similar at all.

• Like 1

Well, New Japan by far has the best in-ring product. It's not flawless but it's the best we have. I can understand why people would look to them for influence. I don't think the young lion system would work all that well in AEW but I can see the odd enhancement wrestler graduating from that status. They've done a great job of avoiding the trappings of modern western wrestling booking in protecting a lot of the important players and not giving young players wins they haven't earned yet but the psychology of their matches would greatly be enhanced if they moved away from the 50/50 match layouts used most of the time. A lot of their best matches have avoided that or it made sense because there were evenly matched competitors. When that isn't the case, the bigger name should be pretty dominant and the underdog should really have to work for their spots.