DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUN 2020

Guevara didn't beat up his wife. He made an off-color remark a few years ago. For which he apologised. Taxing him, sending him to sensitivity training and taking him off TV for a couple of weeks - sure. But this indefinite suspension feels like way too much for me. 

I believe in progress, I've read plenty of stuff...but trash opinion or not this is where I am with this. I'm not going to watch AEW until he's back.

The indefinite suspension is their way of taking him off TV for a few weeks.  Relax.  Sammy will be back, he's not Jimmy Havoc, who is only still employed right now because he checked himself into rehab before AEW could fire him.   It's also better for Sammy's career if people think he was overpunished.  The small vocal minority on Twitter will want him fired forever, but those shrill voices are rarely your customers.

I'll be surprised if we ever see Jimmy again, but Sammy will probably be back by August.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Casey said:

But a month or two would basically be... August?

Right, but in one post he's like 'don't worry he'll be gone a while and when he'll be back it'll probably be on Dark' and in the next he's like 'relax, he'll be back pretty soon'. So yes, it's a bit gaslighty and I think it's bad faith argumentation - like telling someone to 'relax' ever works lol.

To clarify, I will not watch AEW until Sammy returns to main programming. 

2 hours ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

You're kind of talking out of both sides of your mouth. A bit gaslighty tbh. 

To me, real soon was Fyter Fest which someone was saying, which was a couple of weeks.  It's going to be more than that, but I don't think he's going to be out for a super long time.  Super long time for me meant 2021.

If that comes off as gaslighty to folks, not my intent

I do think he's going to have to earn his way back on Dynamite- they'll make sure to not make his return seem like a celebration in any way/

Edited by alstein

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I like the idea that if someone doesnt respond to a tweet in an hour, they must be hiding. 

Not everyone lives on social media. 

This is insane.  Related, a few weeks ago, Lyn Manuel Miranda tweeted to profusely apologize for not tweet-commenting on George Floyd fast enough.  Is this our world today?  Someone famous yet completely unrelated to a given controversy needs to apologize for not commenting quickly?  Social media needs to be nuked from orbit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

To be honest the next several times I think about Sasha, the first thought in my head will probably be about how she didn't deserve to have a public rape threat made against her idk

Good job that never happened then.

That's just defamation plain and simple. You're being ridiculous.

Edited by RunningFromAmerica

Okay - you can all get a break in here since Jae asked that everyone take a break in two separate threads yet it continued here

And with far worse behavior

Thread will re-open at Noon

Meanwhile - regarding BTE - this is from Meltzer

There is no Being the Elite this week. That is due to all the things that have come out. Kenny Omega tweeted about it briefly but it is over some realization that the business they were trying to change for the better is in some cases and places a lot worse than we all realized. I think there is a realization that some of the comedy skits from the past that were fine then look bad now, particularly with Joey Ryan.

• Like 2

About that:

"Hey, you wanna do alcohol?"

There is some good stuff but holy shit everything is uncomfortable now. That look Omega gives at the end of his bit with Colt is so good. Not G1 press conference good but good. Brodie throwing those papers in the face of Wait and See Uno had pretty much everybody trying not to break character. 

Can't wait for that MJF vs. Luther bra and panties match. Marco and Giant Gonzalez is a helluva main event too.

• Like 2

Some fans have nicknamed the Joey and Sonny Tag Team Bad Romance. And Sonny really likes that name.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Casey said:

I don’t blame him - two of his good friends are predators it would seem. Probably needs to step away from Twitter for awhile. 

I don’t watch it unless there’s a good guest, but a YouTube video of The Fighter & The Kid ‘s response to the Chris D’Elia allegations was really powerful. Callen was clearly down and contemplative and Schaub was in tears, angry, and unable to speak. I think there are a lot of wrestlers right now that are hurt and betrayed. If I was in Page’s shoes I’d need to step away for a minute.

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

About that:

"Hey, you wanna do alcohol?"

There is some good stuff but holy shit everything is uncomfortable now. That look Omega gives at the end of his bit with Colt is so good. Not G1 press conference good but good. Brodie throwing those papers in the face of Wait and See Uno had pretty much everybody trying not to break character. 

Can't wait for that MJF vs. Luther bra and panties match. Marco and Giant Gonzalez is a helluva main event too.

“So we’re like three Macaulay Culkins? And he’s the wet bandit?”

”Yeah both of them.”

is truly great and hilarious. I hope orange gets a cameo on fast and furious one day. 

• Like 1

Luther, Serpenticio, and Max Caster was like the best WAR Six-Man team I've seen in a while. I'm glad I finally figured out who that guy in the shiny jacket we've been seeing in the audience is (Max), but what's his gimmick exactly? He came in with a mic and was singing and had musical notes on his pants, so musician? I also dug the (possible) angle that only Serpenticio can control Luther.

I like the Janella/Sonny Kiss odd couple tag team. They have some weird shit but the 2 matches I've watched so far have been good. Kiss has at least 2 or 3 things I've never seen anyone do before and Janella's Eddie Gilbert cosplay vibe is fine.

I also liked the Avalon/Cassidy main event. Avalon is a really good bumper. I'm not sure how I feel about them putting up the win/loss records for everyone when it makes your underneath guys look like Gillberg. I still don't really understand Orange Cassidy's style but it works for him, anyway.

Tazz needs to stop saying that he's making "shoot" comments. Stop. Bad Tazz. No.