DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUN 2020

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

I was referring to the tweet above where the person called out people and then said "it's been an hour and no response yet." 

Derp. I didn't even see that tweet from above, only the Sasha Banks one. My bad.

I think suspending him was likely the right thing to do. I'm not sure it should've been an indefinite suspension, but whatever. He's been punished and they are dealing with it.

When UFC fired Miguel Torres for making rape jokes on Twitter, I thought that was excessive then. They brought him back a month later after he apologized and did a mea culpa. Though his UFC career was not much longer after that point anyway. But Rashad Evans and Forrest Griffin faced no punishments either when they made similar bad comments around the same time.

Edited by TheVileOne

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

And look at some of the responses. Social media is wrong. Sorry. 

Well if you can't trust a Twitter account called "FuckFlair" that spends the majority of his posts drooling about Sasha Banks and how it's going to be a "good night" for him when she wears something sexy, as well as the occasional tirade where he just stweet-shouts "Fuck Flair" over and over again, who can you believe?!

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, caley said:

Well if you can't trust a Twitter account called "FuckFlair" that spends the majority of his posts drooling about Sasha Banks and how it's going to be a "good night" for him when she wears something sexy, as well as the occasional tirade where he just stweet-shouts "Fuck Flair" over and over again, who can you believe?!

Twitter and social media are cesspools, and I wish wrestlers in general didn't have to deal with it. I truly believe nothing good has come from Twitter. It's ruining this generation and society in general.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

I like Sammy a ton but this is the right thing to do. I can see him being back in a month and as for the apology he does have his vlog where for all we know he's filming that apology now. I would like to think he's a different person but it's going to haunt him for quite awhile and rightfully so. But more importantly I hope Sasha is okay as I can't imagine what finding out something like that can do to somebody. 

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Twitter and social media are cesspools, and I wish wrestlers in general didn't have to deal with it. I truly believe nothing good has come from Twitter. It's ruining this generation and society in general.

Is Juice Robinson the only one of his generation of wrestlers not to be on social media to any extent? Smart, that Juice.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Is Juice Robinson the only one of his generation of wrestlers not to be on social media to any extent? Smart, that Juice.

I couldn't find him on anything, so yeah it's probably smart. I mean I like Juice a lot and I hope he's kept himself out of trouble all these years, but you never really know. 

Joe Doering isn’t on anything either, but Juice is probably the most prominent example. 

Anyway, Sasha didn’t owe him her time or a statement. Whatever the intent, it’s not comfortable to talk to someone who said what he did, and their last interaction was him joking that she looks like a man. I hope people realize how much of a life raft she gave him by offering both; not everyone is going to be that generous, and we shouldn’t make it the standard by which aggrieved parties are judged.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I couldn't find him on anything, so yeah it's probably smart. I mean I like Juice a lot and I hope he's kept himself out of trouble all these years, but you never really know. 

He got in a little trouble for saying he was going to be balls deep in a Japanese girl (actual quote) when celebrating a win in New Japan but then they gave him the tag belts so he's doing okay.

Sasha Banks is way nicer than she probably should have been.  Wrestling is grossing me out so much that it's getting depressing.  Not out of something I like being ruined but out of sympathy for the numerous victims.  These stories fucking suck and keep getting worse.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tromatagon said:

He got in a little trouble for saying he was going to be balls deep in a Japanese girl (actual quote) when celebrating a win in New Japan but then they gave him the tag belts so he's doing okay.

Probably not the best thing to say these days, but I hope making crass comments is the worst thing he's done. Ever since Benoit, I try to keep a lot of guys I like at a distance, but if Juice got into any trouble remotely like some of the allegations we've heard recently, it would wound me greatly. He's one of my favorite wrestlers right now.

13 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Hmm. So are they just delaying today's release or are they on hiatus?

The dark thought I had is that the Elite crew are getting their stories or legal statements straight or getting advise from legal counsel. I'm not saying that's the case, just a thought I had.

Look, Joey Ryan was a regular member of BTE not long ago. He might be facing legal charges soon. 

6 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

The dark thought I had is that the Elite crew are getting their stories or legal statements straight or getting advise from legal counsel. I'm not saying that's the case, just a thought I had.

I'm thinking they just don't think a show like theirs should be going on so it doesn't take away attention from people speaking out. That's me being naiive but that would make sense to me. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm thinking they just don't think a show like theirs should be going on so it doesn't take away attention from people speaking out. That's me being naiive but that would make sense to me. 

Could be that too. 

• Like 1

My naive thinking is that Sammy's suspension lasts about as short a timeframes as the 2nd night of Fyter Fest where he comes back from sensitivty training and is back to regularly scheduled booking plans? He dips out, what a week or two, and then he does a run in where everyone is surprised he's back so soon. Possibly something along those lines. If he's kept away until the Fall, that would legit surprise me. 

8 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

This. Also a possibility that there was a bit or two involving either Havoc or Sammy G. Might not be the best taste for backstage wrestling comedy with everything going on.

30 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

Sasha Banks is way nicer than she probably should have been.  Wrestling is grossing me out so much that it's getting depressing.  Not out of something I like being ruined but out of sympathy for the numerous victims.  These stories fucking suck and keep getting worse.

I hear you on being depressed about wrestling right now. Maybe it’s my privilege showing from ignorance, but I can’t imagine what these workers (and honestly women in almost every field) had to go through with these creeps. A chick friend once sent me a nude as a joke while I was seeing somebody else (before I met my wife) and it really fucked with me. I knew it was her way as a joke and people thought I was supposed to find it funny, but it really got me down. But I didn’t work with her, she didn’t have power over my position at work, or have the ability to over power me as a person. It’s that uncomfortable and depressing feeling x100. What these people (mostly women) had to face is really bringing tears to my eyes. Thinking of that wrestler that Kongo made reveal himself “as a rib” or the poor women that received aggressive nude texts, or the woman Osprey got blacklisted.

How insane is it to go and look at women’s DM’s that they get on dating apps. How quickly it turns to “good guy” violent trash. This is all absolutely maddening.

When the protests/rioting happened in my city of Minneapolis I felt I had to do something. I cleaned the streets in the mornings and moved rubble out of the sidewalks. What do I even do for this injustice? Is there something I can help with or is this just a yell at people until things change? Am I an idiot for even asking?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I was referring to the tweet above where the person called out people and then said "it's been an hour and no response yet." 

I try to avoid twitter like the fucking plague so I have no idea who that dude calling people out is. I'm guessing he has some piece of shit podcast that he's trying to drum up publicity for?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

My naive thinking is that Sammy's suspension lasts about as short a timeframes as the 2nd night of Fyter Fest where he comes back from sensitivty training and is back to regularly scheduled booking plans? He dips out, what a week or two, and then he does a run in where everyone is surprised he's back so soon. Possibly something along those lines. If he's kept away until the Fall, that would legit surprise me. 

What they're doing is fair.  The point of this needs to be rehabilitation and sending a message, not cancellation.  If you return him too soon the message is that this isn't that serious.  Return him too long and you risk folks seeing him as a martyr.

I don't think it will be that soon.   I suspect he's going to be gone a month or two, and they're going to quietly bring him back- probably on Dark for a while.   That's what I'd be doing, probably keep him off TV for a month, then for a few weeks just have him occasionally beat jobbers on Dark.   When he returns to Dynamite for another month or so just have him in matches and never mention that he was suspended or why.  Don't celebrate it.  This will avoid glorifying his behavior, and be best for his career long-term as well, as eventually most folks outside of the most radical corners of the internet will forget about this.   Handling his return, and avoiding glorifying it is going to be important.

Kenny Omega might understand the whole Infiltration saga and let Tony know that if you celebrate the return too much it will backfire on the message.  (Infiltration was  a Street fighter player who beat his wife and was utterly unrepentant.  Capcom suspended him from their games for a year.  He played another game instead, won it, and the commentators celebrated it.  That didn't go over well, and folks still want him banned for life today- and in that case, it isn't just the radical fringe, but on top of that he became an incel icon.)

Edited by alstein
  • Like 2