DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2020 WRESTLING GIFS

There's a certain looseness to things in 58 still. There's the idea that you can just do whatever to your opponent and it doesn't have to be rote or established. Look at how Corn just chucks him back into the ropes here:

p8DPny.gif

Grabbing this whole exchange: Interesting entrance to the gutbuster and then Peruano's next move. Look at how he undercuts the arm to lock in the hammerlock. Eventually he'd roll back with that into a hold.

XLGRAV.gif

Slugfest: as a side-note, it's kind of cool to see how in this footage the knee crusher isn't just a move that giants did. That's one of those things that was warped over the years. 

71xk7B.gif

• Like 5

On 6/7/2020 at 6:54 AM, Eivion said:

What i like from that one is Chigusa's reaction to both powerbombs.

Reminds me of the scene in Repo Man when Otto tells his old buddy who's shot "you're gonna be ok" *death gargle *  "maybe not"

Also Nagayo's crazy doctor bomb variation i think was called the super freak.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rev Ray said:

Also Nagayo's crazy doctor bomb variation i think was called the super freak.

She did that thing regularly enough that it has an actual name? Wow. At some point I probably should check out more of 90s Chigusa.

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

She did that thing regularly enough that it has an actual name? Wow. At some point I probably should check out more of 90s Chigusa.

I think she used it a bunch just given GAEA's roster had people the size of ozaki and nagashima.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

I always thought that should have been the finish of Steiners vs Road Warriors at Starrcade '89, with Rick catching Hawk doing the clothesline and turning it into a belly to belly and getting the pin.

After just seeing Future Shock and hearing Cornette talk about it, I believe the Road Warriors didn't want to job clean. Cornette's idea was basically to have someone accidentally rolled up on the back of Hawk's legs as he was doing a gorilla press slam. Animal would also be doing one, but he would drop the guy behind him which would cause that domino effect. Whichever brother Hawk was doing the move on would fall on top of Hawk and 1-2-3. However, Hawk turned that down in favor of the double pin/one guy gets his shoulders off the mat that everyone had been doing at the time in NWA.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

On 6/11/2020 at 3:15 PM, Raziel said:

One could argue that you could trace Izuka's decent into Iron Knuckled madness to this exact spot...

I remember wondering what happened to that guy some years ago, so I googled him and... yeah. Amazing