DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2020 WRESTLING GIFS

16 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Mongo’s crowning achievement...

There were some hit or miss Clash of the Champions shows, but that last one was an argument for keeping those shows.

How many events end with Kevin Nash feigning hitting a bird?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

They claim 3 hour Nitro’s killed it, but in all honesty those shows were booked like TV PPV’s, where matches were the focus. As an audience member I felt like I was being rewarded with a free pay-per-view. 

2 hours ago, Morganti said:

I remember hearing that what really killed the Clashes was the monthly PPVs.  Bisch talking on one of those panel shows that used to air on classics.

I feel like it was the change in philosophy and audience expectations.  The early Clashes felt like big events.  You didn't have frequent ppv's and weekly tv was mostly squash matches back then.  Clashes felt like special events on par with PPV' s and they were free.  As the 90's went on, both WCW and WWF started catering a lot more to TV audiences.  The quality of the weekly tv shows started improving as he companies started booking fewer squashes and more competitive matches, and the PPV's started being more frequent because... well, money.  Late Clashes didn't seem as special because we were getting good cards on Nitro and fewer Rick Steiner vs. Mike Jackson squashes.  Conversely, WCW started running PPV's every few weeks so they wanted to save some of the A-level matches for the PPV.  They kind of booked themselves into a corner where they wanted CotC to be more special that that week's Nitro, but not up to the level of a PPV.

They usually ended with fuck finishes but even then, those would lead to tag matches with whomever ran in and also the person(s) that made the save. Those babyface Horsemen w/Sting matches against the remnants of J-Tex (Buzz, Dragon Master, Muta) were really solid. But you'd also get a long drawn out Flair/Eaton match the odd time that would have a clean finish. 

Although, I must say, Arn isn't a very good babyface. While I think it's swell that the Horsemen didn't  become angels and white meat babyfaces overnight with their babyface run, Arn would rely on too many heel tactics that would kill the crowd too often in those early '90 matches. Flair is a dope babyface. He'd cut out a lot of the stooging and goofiness and replace it with fire. He'd do the diving axe handle off the top when he got flipped onto the apron, for example.

Then they ran Flair/Zenk face vs. face and that died on the vine. How could a crowd possibly cheer for Tom Zenk in that match and he's not going to work heel, so Flair tried to incorporate subtle heelwork and nobody was going to boo him and cheer the fucking Z-Man. It went seemingly forever too. May be one of the weakest Flair singles matches I've seen. But at least the last few minutes were good.

Edited by Oyaji

Drew is very athletic and someone I appreciated on Raw since they went to closed sets.  But forgive me for pointing out that the screencap before playing looks like it's censoring something that should not be.

• Haha 1

Gresham and Quackenbush? Not sure it's actually possible for that to be anything other than great.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Was Arn a face still when he cut the awesome TV Ttitle promo on Zenk? Or was after they turned? 

I have it on tape, but I think I couldnt find it on youtube last time i looked. 

I'm guessing a heel. Zenk didn't get pushed until 1990, and Arn didn't regain it back until right before his heel turn in January of '90 from Muta.

On 6/3/2020 at 8:36 PM, The Batboy said:

8b1f0f76d6d928021cf0edec9eebcc9235e8605e

I had to know more about that guy, so I looked him up and found this in a recap: "So Dr. Feelgood (Chief Physician from Pain, Iowa) uses “Bad Case of Loving You” by Robert Palmer for his entrance instead of, you know, FUCKING “DR. FEELGOOD”."

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

I had no idea that Misawa and Traylor had every worked each other and now I'm gonna go find all of the matches.  It's a shame they never had a singles match.

• Like 1