DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2020 WRESTLING GIFS

As we end 1957, we're jumping ahead to some of our good friends from the crazy trampoline match, which a slight sub for injury. This one's Mota dos Santos & Pierre Payen vs Francis Louis & Jean Claude Bordeaux from 1971. Much more grounded and narrative-driven than the trampoline match.

Still a lot of this:

p8Dg2Q.gif

And a surprising number of bumps to the floor off of dropkicks:

XLG65v.gif

I usually hate giving these away but here's the finish to the first fall. Pretty novel stuff:

r8G0Y2.gif

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Sullivan is basically "Yeah, I just double stomped this guy but no way am I going to let him jump off the ropes on me."

He botched every single thing he tried to do up until that point, there is no way I'd let him jump of the ropes on me either.

• Haha 2

Rolling right into the last few gifs of the dos Santos tag. There's a lot more to see and I suggest people check it out tomorrow, but I didn't want to give everything away:

This is a keeper right here:

K1oOAM.gif

Payen is a babyface usually, I think, but dos Santos' usual Portuguese partner was injured so he crossed the line and he did it very well:

5Qv81K.gif

After a hot tag, a revenge DK to the floor:

ROygwO.gif

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Matt D said:

After a hot tag, a revenge DK to the floor:

ROygwO.gif

If you squint your eyes it sorta looks like PWG, ca. 1971. The Old Bucks killing the business.

• Like 5

Have you seen the Trampoline match yet, Pete? This match was leaps and bounds better than that, because it was far more grounded and structured and had a big crowd brawling bit that was cool, but the trampoline match is something everyone should see at least a few minutes of because it's wild.

40 minutes ago, Pete said:

If you squint your eyes it sorta looks like PWG, ca. 1971. The Old Bucks killing the business.

Jeez, you're not kidding about the PWG parallel, even the same exact camera angle as the old Reseda hardcam and right down to the crowd in the front crowd jumping out of their chairs for the pop.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Have you seen the Trampoline match yet, Pete? This match was leaps and bounds better than that, because it was far more grounded and structured and had a big crowd brawling bit that was cool, but the trampoline match is something everyone should see at least a few minutes of because it's wild.

I've seen clips of it, yes. Pretty funny to hear how dead the crowd is for it live-to-tape.

There was a long stretch in like 1996/1997 where anytime some combination of the Steiners, Mongo/Benoit, and the Faces of Fear were in the ring together, motherfuckers were getting ragdolled and dropped on their head. It was incredible.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

There was a long stretch in like 1996/1997 where anytime some combination of the Steiners, Mongo/Benoit, and the Faces of Fear were in the ring together, motherfuckers were getting ragdolled and dropped on their head. It was incredible.

Let us not forget the Fire & Ice combination. They had about 4 classic slugfests with the Steiners. 

• Like 3