DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2020 WRESTLING PICTURES

2 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

Just recently saw this, GODDAMN can't believe I missed out on this one until just recently! Sent me down the rabbit hole for more singles Suzuki matches as I'm sadly not that familiar with lots of his work but I'm correcting that asap

Check out his 30th anniversary match against Okada. They wrestle outdoors in a ring in the middle of a rain shower. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm kinda shocked that their 2017 G1 Climax BEAUTY isn't online somewhere from what I can see (other than World of course). That's one of Suzuki's best matches, probably my favourite of his. The 2019 sequel is almost as good. Almost. And the anniversary match Matt mentioned above in the rain is a spectacle and they make it work, damn it. The Styles match from 2014 is another one that is up there. The October 2012 Tanahashi match is kinda the "switch turning on" moment for New Japan's revival if I'm to simplify things drastically.

He's an all time promo too. I kind of roll my eyes at Suzuki The Shooter but he's one of the all-time best wrestlers I think. I don't know if I could watch a career set of his because so many of his matches are kinda samey (especially build-up tag matches) and I do think that sometimes he kills his own submissions by laying in them for way too long but he's put on some absolute fucking clinics and he's one of the best characters bar none. That Tanahashi match from... 2018 I think, in which he put Tana on the shelf for a few months was really great but did fall into the trap I mentioned about extended sub attempts. 

• Like 2

EDIT: Never mind, someone else posted it. Here is a picture of Alexander Otsuka instead:

ProWresBlog: Battlarts 1/20/1998 - Yuki Ishikawa vs Alexander Otsuka

Edited by AxB
  • Like 2

I love how everybody dressed up in their best for the picture with Ted Turner except of course the fucking Nasty Boys, who look like they are on their way to a hockey game. But then, that's surely about as best as they had. 

We don't know what Mick had on though so he might be another exception ? I wonder if he had on the leather jacket with fringe! 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 2:16 AM, Hayabusa said:

Just recently saw this, GODDAMN can't believe I missed out on this one until just recently! Sent me down the rabbit hole for more singles Suzuki matches as I'm sadly not that familiar with lots of his work but I'm correcting that asap

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Minoru Suzuki from NJPW King of Pro-Wrestling 2012 is the must see match. It's notable for something that happens that makes it stand out even more. My 2012 Match of the Year, gave it ***** and that's the year with Tanahashi vs. Okada series starting at NJPW The New Beginning and Dominion plus John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar at WWE Extreme Rules, Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan at the same event and the Shield's TLC match with Team Hell No/Ryback at the TLC PPV.

Minoru Suzuki vs. AJ Styles from NJPW G1 Climax 2014.

Kazuchika Okada vs. Minoru Suzuki. NJPW G1 Climax 27.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1