Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Dolfan in NYC

JUNE 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, AxB said:

I've figured out what the thing is with Baron Corbin, that makes him look so clueless in the ring. It's his footwork. You know how there's a certain specific way you're supposed to step in the ring, that running the ropes is supposed to take a certain amount and length of paces? Corbin's is all over the place. He's taking fifteen baby steps where he should take five. He has to take three steps just to throw a simple boot to the gut of someone he's standing right in front of.

So what you're saying is, he should spend more time on Regal's Twitter and less on Mongo's?

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

How great would a Truth-led reboot of Blade be?

So awesome!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm making my way through WCW PPVs and Clashs up until whenever I get to the point that Hogan annoys me too much and watched Bash 90 and Clash 12 today. There were some great matches (including the famous Midnight vs Southern Boys) but two questions stuck in my mind afterwards:

Who did Zenk piss off to be the jobber for Vader and Hansen on consecutive shows?

Were The Freebirds going for the 'cross dressing prostitute in a 80s New York crime movie' look or was it an accident?

Edited by bazzil
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another twitter video thread you might like: The Masterful Adventures of Sid!

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cornette's interview with FTR on his podcast was fan-fucking-tastic. Anyone, whether they're in the business or not, interested in the artform or technical side of tag team wrestling ought to give it a listen. He also reads an email from someone who was a trainer at Harley Race's school at the time Omega was down there, and gives some details as to why Omega isn't a huge fan of Harley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sid account may be the jumping the shark moment. We all know Sid rules. There's no need. Like it'll be nice to be reminded of how much and how often but too much, too soon. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

The Sid account may be the jumping the shark moment. We all know Sid rules. There's no need. Like it'll be nice to be reminded of how much and how often but too much, too soon. 

Ehh, I agree. Let them have fun with it.

Break a leg, Sid guy.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bazzil said:

Who did Zenk piss off to be the jobber for Vader and Hansen on consecutive shows?

You’re slightly ahead of me as I’m at GAB but I wonder if he got that TV title run as thanks for enduring this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That match with Vader absolutely rules. Vader goes from "who is this guy" to "my God, it's the end of the world as we know it" on the broadcast in about 4 minutes.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still have so much Mongo and Regal to absorb, I don't think I can take a Sid account right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how old this WWE backstage with Renee Young, CM Punk, and Daniel Bryan is just great.  Talks about his comeback,  Matt Riddle, working with Punk in his career, and who he would love to work with (Big E YES PLEASE)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

That match with Vader absolutely rules. Vader goes from "who is this guy" to "my God, it's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine" on the broadcast in about 4 minutes.

fixed

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

God, I miss WCW. 

 

I miss some of it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I miss some of it.

Even the bad stuff is sort of fun. Not like, Vince Russo's bad stuff, but Robocop and the Black Scorpion and even Ric Flair having to kiss Dusty Rhodes's ass. 

You know what I think is undervalued about WCW is that those shows had wrestling matches that were there for the sake of having a good wrestling match, but unlike modern television, those matches weren't all the same with the same structures and the same high spots. 

You can watch a 1995 Nitro and get a good Cruiserweight match, a good Paul Orndorff semi-squash, and a fun John Tenta squash on the same show, for example. NWA Power is about the only thing that gets close to that type of variety for me, though MLW sometimes can fill that need. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, AxB said:

 

Is he being facetious? Because his Twitter account is filled with him retweeting gifs and vids of himself acting a fool lol

Edited by Infinit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

That match with Vader absolutely rules. Vader goes from "who is this guy" to "my God, it's the end of the world as we know it" on the broadcast in about 4 minutes.

The Vader debut is one of those things that is absolutely seared into my brain because he seemed like the most terrifying dude in the world when I was 9

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Mongo Twitter account is reminding me that Mongo wasn't actually very good at pro wrestling (which is not news to anyone who watched a lot of that period of WCW).  How he got paired with the Horsemen, I'll never understand.  I assume it was either his legit athlete cred or he got the boys into the kind of clubs in the 90's that Ric Flair used to be able to get into in the 80's (when being a pro wrestler could still get you into those kind of clubs).

Mongo frequently looks so uncoordinated that it's painful to watch.  There's a gif of him in the .gif thread where he goofs up two attemtps to irish whip him, nearly falls off the turnbuckle, and misses a double stomp but lands so awkwardly it looks like he might blow out both knees - and this is all in the space of about 45 seconds.

That said, Mongo definitely had charisma.  He wasn't great on the mic, but he had enough personality to get the crowd into it anyway.  And I do enjoy his wacky idea of selling.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the story is that Mongo may not have wrestled like a Horseman but he partied like one and that was good enough for Ric.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, Mongo as the meathead elite football player buddy of the Horsemen works for me on re-watch. 

The mistake they made was having him do as much wrestling as he did. With Arn hurt so much, Arn should have shifted to the JJ Dillon role and Mongo should have been used as an enforcer (heh) who interfered in matches, but who didn't do a lot of in-ring stuff on his own outside of multi-man tags and War Games and stuff where his deficiencies could be better hidden. 

Mongo wrestling Kevin Greene in a mediocre football-player-turned-wrestler match is fine; putting the U.S. title on Mongo and having him wrestle a lot of bad singles matches, not so much.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mongo looking a goof was the point, it wouldn't have made sense for him to look crisp. His while thing was enthusiastic ex football player and him being rough around the edges but still powerful enough to beat lower tier guys was better pro wrestling realism than 99% of today's stuff

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, leonard said:

Mongo looking a goof was the point, it wouldn't have made sense for him to look crisp. His while thing was enthusiastic ex football player and him being rough around the edges but still powerful enough to beat lower tier guys was better pro wrestling realism than 99% of today's stuff

Kevin Greene was like 1000% better at that though. I appreciate Mongo's gusto and he was very charismatic, no doubt. But yeah, there's an alternate timeline/universe where Kevin Greene signed with WCW and was in Mongo's role. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AxB said:

 

1) somebody is gonna drive this concept directly into the ground

2) we'll see if that happens before we get a good Sabu botch account

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

That Mongo Twitter account is reminding me that Mongo wasn't actually very good at pro wrestling (which is not news to anyone who watched a lot of that period of WCW).  How he got paired with the Horsemen, I'll never understand.  I assume it was either his legit athlete cred or he got the boys into the kind of clubs in the 90's that Ric Flair used to be able to get into in the 80's (when being a pro wrestler could still get you into those kind of clubs).

Mongo frequently looks so uncoordinated that it's painful to watch.  There's a gif of him in the .gif thread where he goofs up two attemtps to irish whip him, nearly falls off the turnbuckle, and misses a double stomp but lands so awkwardly it looks like he might blow out both knees - and this is all in the space of about 45 seconds.

That said, Mongo definitely had charisma.  He wasn't great on the mic, but he had enough personality to get the crowd into it anyway.  And I do enjoy his wacky idea of selling.

As JC said this week, Mongo had "happy feet" even when he was standing there holding a headlock. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...