DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I mentioned this in the RAW thread but I will mention it here too

Per Meltzer - Charlotte is having surgery and is out until at least Summerslam (thus why last night's angle happened)

Sorry for the offensive post. Rippa mentioned Meltzer saying it’s not for shoulder surgery so I just typed what I thought without thinking if it would offend anyone. I’ll do better going forward.

Edited by MavsFan77

2 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

...un, so Alexander Otsuka was fucking awesome.

I've heard his name a few times over the years but never saw any of his stuff.  Any matches in particular that are worth checking out?

I used to love watching Alexander Otsuka in BattlArts but I feel like he went weird during his MMA jaunt and he never really got a proper shot. Is that accurate or does he some recent stuff that's worth getting into?

I will leave it suggestions to somebody else because I don't have a very good memory for matches. I know he was a big hit around here when he was active in Battlearts, then went MMA and eventually to Michinoku Pro where he had a truly baffling gimmick involving wrestling in a white thong. 

He was fun as fuck to use in Fire Pro.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

What is she getting bigger implants yet again? That seems like about the only thing she’d take time off for.

You add a lot of value to the discussion. Tell me, did your parents have any kids that didn't have to go to school on a short, yellow bus?

He also had a really great singles match with Ikeda that I can't remember the date of.  But, hell, all of their matches are probably worth watching.

I said it elsewhere but it's a damn shame we lost prime Otsuka years to MMA.

4 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

He also had a really great singles match with Ikeda that I can't remember the date of.  But, hell, all of their matches are probably worth watching.

I said it elsewhere but it's a damn shame we lost prime Otsuka years to MMA.

I don't think I've seen any Otsuka match that wasn't at least worth watching, many well-worth re-watching. You are absolutely right in that it is sad that we lost so much prime Otsuka to MMA. (Not that he wasn't cool to watch in MMA, but I would have preferred he stayed in wrestling, as he was certainly studly at it.)

The thing that mystifies me is, of all the Pro-Wrestlers who went to Pride and beat MMA fighters at MMA (which isn't many), his win was the most impressive. More decisive, and over a bigger name. But Tadao Yasuda gets to be IWGP Champion and Alexander Otsuka barely works New Japan at all. Even though he was ten times the worker Yasuda was.

12 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

It's done OSJ. We're moving forward.

Sorry, I was typing and getting coffee while you were posting. Which begs the question, do we know if Otsuka was a big coffee drinker or not? Signs point to "yes".

Just now, AxB said:

The thing that mystifies me is, of all the Pro-Wrestlers who went to Pride and beat MMA fighters at MMA (which isn't many), his win was the most impressive. More decisive, and over a bigger name. But Tadao Yasuda gets to be IWGP Champion and Alexander Otsuka barely works New Japan at all. Even though he was ten times the worker Yasuda was.

I hate to say this, but I think that the answer to your question begins with "rac" and ends with "ism". Japan isn't exactly as woke as people may like to think. 

Eh, what? Otsuka is 100% Japanese from what I know. He adopted Alexander out of respect for Karelin. 

And who thinks Japan is a bastion of progress in terms of race? 

Am I misreading your post? 

• Like 3

Because it was discussed on the latest Bischoff pod, I went back and rewatched Bash 96 and there's an argument that this might be one of the 10 best PPV's ever and one of the best ever in WCW. The variety of matches, Peak Dusty commentary, but most notably the storytelling throughout. The Horsemen angle that runs throughout the show is amazing, and even little stuff like Luger checking on Bischoff on his way to the ring.

Sting's promo has no place in 2020, and the main event didn't set the world on fire (though Giant was credible as hell), but man what a fucking show. This show, through the Disney parking lot tapings, through BATB, until Hog Wild is probably peak WCW.

5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Eh, what? Otsuka is 100% Japanese from what I know. He adopted Alexander out of respect for Karelin. 

And who thinks Japan is a bastion of progress in terms of race? 

Am I misreading your post? 

I thought he was half-Japanese and half something else, my memory may be failing. I don't think anyone considers Japan very progressive, I always thought that Otsuka's lack of a truly major push stemmed from him not being full Japanese, but it's been years and I may be conflating him with someone else. 

2 minutes ago, Ace said:

What did DIET BUTCHER mean anyways? That's what I'll always remember about Otsuka.

That is a phrase that I've been happy to remain ignorant of regarding its meaning. There are just no pleasant images that come to mind, none. 

1 minute ago, Ace said:

What did DIET BUTCHER mean anyways? That's what I'll always remember about Otsuka.

I think it was because he looked kinda like skinny Abdullah.

4 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I thought he was half-Japanese and half something else, my memory may be failing. I don't think anyone considers Japan very progressive, I always thought that Otsuka's lack of a truly major push stemmed from him not being full Japanese, but it's been years and I may be conflating him with someone else. 

You might be thinking of Taiyo Kea. He kind of sucked in the ring, though. 

1 minute ago, christopher.annino said:

You might be thinking of Taiyo Kea. He kind of sucked in the ring, though. 

That's it! Thank you!

• Like 1