DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

3 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Alleged wife beater.

Ah.  Thanks for filling me in.

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Even then, Bruce has been fired twice (1991, 2008). He is about due to get fired again.

Hope so!  Can't stand the guy.

30 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:
  Hide contents

Piss is definitely a Vince thing. 

Just when I thought the Vince/Trump comparisons were exhausted.

Edited by Technico Support

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Boy, wait until you see/hear about what they've got planned for Sheamus and Jeff Hardy tonight on Smackdown.

Reveal hidden contents

Supposedly Sheamus demands Jeff be drug tested. He pees in a cup, and throws it in Sheamus' face.

Spoiler

Hopefully this isn't an "it's got to be real dog food" situation. 

• Haha 1

Just to clarify - here is the actually blurb about EVOLVE from the WON

There has been a lot of talk in recent weeks regarding the future of Evolve and WWE. It’s not a secret Evolve had major financial issues and the canceling of WrestleMania week was catastrophic to them. They’ve been quiet, having not said anything. There were reports of them selling their tape library and pretty much everything to WWE but when asked, neither Evolve nor WWE would confirm or deny the story

Some folks are saying that it isn't just EVOLVE but that the WWE acquired all of WWN (of course that really is nit picking at the moment)

Also - folks are saying you could see it happening in the last few weeks as EVOLVE footage would show up on WWE TV and it no longer had the "courtesy of WWN" note on it

I could tell when I went to their Anniversay show at ECW (not 2300 to me) Arena once the WWE intro started it I knew that was it for them.  It was either they'd be a shell of their former selves or they would be bought out.  It sadly didn't take long before both of those things happened.  And some would say they lost something special long before that but I did enjoy the few Queens shows as well as that Philly one.  It sucks though because Trevin's an old friend of mine who always looked out for us when we went.  The guy put his heart and soul into it even when it seemed like he'd have issues with how Sal ran things.  I wouldn't dare ask him about this but at least hope him and the rest of the crew come out of it okay.

17 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Vince buying a whole company during their own economic downturn would be... something. 

EDIT: You know what, what am I saying? It's totally in character with how he spends money.

Dude, Vince is the same guy who in this economic downturn filed bankruptcy on the XFL and claimed himself, the owner of the company, as one of it's debtors, while also screwing Oliver Luck and many others out of money.

• Like 1

And again, this all is proof of how fucking dumb Wall Street is for always panicking about Vince not owning WWE or being part of it. Vince needs to no longer be owner of the company and should be forced out if that was even possible. He's killing the company. The guy fucked around with XFL, went out of his way to try to sign everybody to big money deals just so they couldn't work elsewhere, fired corporate execs when they disagreed with that tactic, had no replacement for those execs lined up, pissed away PPV money with the WWE Network, would then say they would sign a PPV deal ahead of WM when that really didn't happen, promoted the hiring of two past their prime bookers as a PR stunt, now both of those guys are fired, the guy changes booking plans on a whim repeatedly which makes the TV barely watchable, PPVs were de-emphasized making watching them on the Network less special, NXT moved to USA to go up against AEW further lessening the value of the Network, and on and on and on. I could do this all fucking day. This isn't a stable head of the company. He needs to go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I'm not going to defend Vince here, but there doesn't feel like a right answer right now, just a series of wrong ones. That he was talked into believing that they needed to build long-term for the better part of a year, even if he couldn't quite go along with the execution of it is pretty crazy in the first place. 

It's no wonder Evolve went down. They business model was based around paying people in shirts, and then suddenly they were forced to pay people with money instead. Completely messed them up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

45 minutes ago, AxB said:

It's no wonder Evolve went down. They business model was based around paying people in shirts, and then suddenly they were forced to pay people with money instead. Completely messed them up.

Everyone knows drugs are the most stable currency in pro wrestling.

The real loser in the shakeup is Apollo Crews.  Wednesday, he still had his first championship in the WWE.  Friday, he's throwing his phone into the ocean and changing his email address.

Speaking of how Vince books, did he operate in the late 1980's and early 90's like he does now?  I really don't know who booked shows in 1989 or so.  Vince and a group of sycophants?  I didn't start hearing about Creative and the writers until somewhere around the Attitude Era.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I'm not going to defend Vince here, but there doesn't feel like a right answer right now, just a series of wrong ones. That he was talked into believing that they needed to build long-term for the better part of a year, even if he couldn't quite go along with the execution of it is pretty crazy in the first place. 

Considering Vince has the attention span of a hummingbird and the patience of a toddler, I'm surprised Heyman could even get him to buy in to the idea of long-term builds at all.  It's no surprise things went the way they did.

25 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

Everyone knows drugs are the most stable currency in pro wrestling.

The real loser in the shakeup is Apollo Crews.  Wednesday, he still had his first championship in the WWE.  Friday, he's throwing his phone into the ocean and changing his email address.

Speaking of how Vince books, did he operate in the late 1980's and early 90's like he does now?  I really don't know who booked shows in 1989 or so.  Vince and a group of sycophants?  I didn't start hearing about Creative and the writers until somewhere around the Attitude Era.

It was a different business then, more driven by house shows and PPVs advertised by TV shows taped long in advance.  Now it' all about live TV/streaming PPVs and TV rights deals.  The former requires patience, long-term booking, and building stars that actually draw.  The latter, not so much.  Vince couldn't change things on a whim back them even if he wanted to.  Now he can, and does.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Wasn't 80's WWF always some combo of Vince, Pat, Gorilla, and Scott?

I think so, but it was always booked in the traditional way of giving direction and letting the wrestlers go perform and get over the stories. It slowly morphed into the sterile, plastic robot show it is now.