DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

2 hours ago, AxB said:

So I'm watching this Nick Gage Q & A on IWTV, and they asked him who in the business he respects the least. He took a while and then said DJ Hyde and Hulk Hogan.

Nick Gage: Good judge of character.

We all know Hulk is a pretty shitty guy but compared to DJ he's pretty much Ghandi. I remember a few years back when he did an angle where if a woman wrestler lost she had to perform a sex act on him in the middle of the ring. Thought it was just a shitty bad taste indy sleaze shock angle but after all the stuff that's come out about CZW it was sick and fucked up times infinity.

I'm not necessarily religious but whenever I think about Kanyon, I always hope he's at peace wherever he is. I listened to a shoot with I think Raven and James Vandenberg once where they got into some of his issues and it honestly broke my heart not even as a fan but just as a guy

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm not necessarily religious but whenever I think about Kanyon, I always hope he's at peace wherever he is. I listened to a shoot with I think Raven and James Vandenberg once where they got into some of his issues and it honestly broke my heart not even as a fan but just as a guy

The shoot Kanyon did a few years before he passed is worth checking out. He's got some interesting stories from having been around so many places and also speaks pretty frankly about his struggles with mental health issues.

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2020 at 11:17 AM, supremebve said:

I really wish I remembered who posted the thread, because it was hilarious.  It wasn't even the 40+ year olds who looked ancient, it was the 23 year olds who looked like they needed orthopedic shoes.

And somehow in 20 years, R-Truth will still look exactly the same. 

"Mr. Killings, are you actually a vampire?"

"Is fatback grissy?" *bares fangs*

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

How has Juicey Boy been doing? I stopped watching New Japan basically since they got dropped in the States.

He's been pretty good. He's not on the level of the higher end workers on the roster, but he can definitely keep up with them in the ring.

Dresses like an idiot, though.

12 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

He's been pretty good. He's not on the level of the higher end workers on the roster, but he can definitely keep up with them in the ring.

He landed Toni Storm, I'm not gonna question the dude anymore.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

I am biased but I think he brings a lot of things NJPW is generally missing. His selling is top notch and while I think Ishii is the best in the world in that regard, they are completely different in how they sell. Juice is of the Ricky Morton ilk, Ishii is the tough guy sort who doesn't exhibit pain until his opponent can't see it if he can help it. Juice is incredibly sympathetic. He's one of the best promos on the planet. He's still putting other things together and continues to get better but he's had fantastic matches with the top end guys, particularly Tanahashi, but also with guys who weren't quite at that level like the Jay White match in San Fran. 

Not a fan of his most recent wardrobe but didn't hate his prior get-ups, including the tricorne hat. He should be committed to getting to the top in New Japan but I would love it if he were to come to AEW and be a major player there. I think he's got star potential.

• Like 1

Juice is awesome. He’s just undercut by the fact that his best skill is coming up just short, and then cutting a soul-baring promo about it. That’s incredibly valuable, but might put his ceiling lower than it otherwise could be in New Japan.

• Like 3

Yeah, I think he should give NJPW another 2-3 years and see how it goes. If he's still not slotted in the main event, it probably won't ever happen and it would be wise to move on to other pastures. 

So on the telly, on Friday Nights in the UK, you've got WWE Smackdown Live on Channel 527 from 0100-0300. But also Impact Wrestling Impact on Channel 151 from 10105-0300, and AEW Dynamite on channels 118 and 178 (HD) from midnight to 0205, plus on the hour delay version of ITV4 from 0100 to 0305.  So, three Wrestling shows head to head to head. And due to the fact that you need to pay extra for Sports channels but the other two are Freeview, most likely Smackdown is the least viewed one.

I've figured out what the thing is with Baron Corbin, that makes him look so clueless in the ring. It's his footwork. You know how there's a certain specific way you're supposed to step in the ring, that running the ropes is supposed to take a certain amount and length of paces? Corbin's is all over the place. He's taking fifteen baby steps where he should take five. He has to take three steps just to throw a simple boot to the gut of someone he's standing right in front of.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AxB said:

I've figured out what the thing is with Baron Corbin, that makes him look so clueless in the ring. It's his footwork. You know how there's a certain specific way you're supposed to step in the ring, that running the ropes is supposed to take a certain amount and length of paces? Corbin's is all over the place. He's taking fifteen baby steps where he should take five. He has to take three steps just to throw a simple boot to the gut of someone he's standing right in front of.

So what you're saying is, he should spend more time on Regal's Twitter and less on Mongo's?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I'm making my way through WCW PPVs and Clashs up until whenever I get to the point that Hogan annoys me too much and watched Bash 90 and Clash 12 today. There were some great matches (including the famous Midnight vs Southern Boys) but two questions stuck in my mind afterwards:

Who did Zenk piss off to be the jobber for Vader and Hansen on consecutive shows?

Were The Freebirds going for the 'cross dressing prostitute in a 80s New York crime movie' look or was it an accident?

Edited by bazzil
  • Haha 1