DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

From PWI and many Bothans died having to go through that spyware ridden site to c&p this

By Mike Johnson on 2020-06-24 15:41:00
Latest Update: 6:05 PM EST

World Wrestling Entertainment is facing a series of positive test results for COVID-19, PWInsider.com can confirm. 

On Monday, WWE began emailing talents and staff, advising them that there had been a new COVID-19 positive test result, advising them to again get tested for COVID-19.  We are told that not all talents were contacted at the same time.  We have since heard that there have been multiple positives coming out of the new round of tests. 

One source believed the positives to be in the "two dozen range" but PWInsider.com has not yet been able to vet that is accurate beyond confirming that there are multiple positives.  The positives are said to be across the board - talents, production and staff.

What this means for Friday's scheduled Smackdown taping remains to be seen.    The promotion informed talents that anyone working the taping take a nose swab before the tapings.  Talents have been asked to isolate following their latest COVID-19 tests prior to tomorrow's taping and have also been requested to let the company know if they are planning to travel outside of their local areas beyond for WWE work. 

We are told Friday's Smackdown episode would likely need to be re-written in the wake of the positives.

It should also be noted that WWE had "friends and family" at their last two TV tapings, the second of which was pushed back a day after a positive COVID-19 test came back for a WWE NXT developmental talent who was last at the PC on 6/9.    PWInsider.com is told that if Friday's taping moves forward, there will not be "friends and family" invited. 

PWInsider.com reported on 6/16, in the wake of the first COVID-19 positive: "Adding to the worry was the extremely unfortunate timing of the inclusion of fans (or, as WWE described them in their statement earlier today, "friends and family") at yesterday's TV taping.  While those friends and family attending yesterday had their temperatures checked and signed waivers, there was a concern voiced by some today that unlike WWE staff and wrestlers who come into the building, WWE's medical personnel have no true way to know or trace who those "friends and family" attending the show had been around in the time leading up to yesterday's taping and if they came back again for another taping, what they had been exposed to in between attending tapings."

At the time, numerous WWE talents expressed concern to PWInsider.com over the lack of communication from the company, feeling there should have been more care expressed towards those traveling and working for WWE in the pandemic.  Today, many of the same talents as well as others expressed the same concerns, especially in the wake of the realization that they could have or did bring the COVID-19 virus home with them to their family members.

Florida, where WWE's Performance Center is located, has become the latest massive hotspot for spread of the disease.   The Florida Department of Health reported an  3,286 new cases of coronavirus today, bringing the State's total to 103,503 confirmed cases.  Within the past two weeks, 132 Orlando Airport employees have tested positive as well.  WWE employees and wrestlers would be flying in and out of their airport for WWE TV tapings if they were not Florida-based.

PWInsider.com has reached out to WWE for comment but they have not yet responded.   

Ryan Satin of Pro Wrestling Sheet was the first to report the positives.  PWInsider.com has confirmed that story independently with multiple sources.  

• Thanks 2

I'm a little baffled at the "they need to shut down" takes. I don't know what people expect the next couple of years to look like but people testing positive for this and workplaces adapting is just gonna be the new normal. The NBA is expecting tons of positive tests and what ESPN reported basically said playoff teams were shrugging it off as "get it out of the way now."

Moreover - the WWE has been running for months and not testing. If you don't think there's been guys competing who have been asymptomatic, you're being naive. 

And the stuff with the "travel ban." With the exception of WWE execs, which gotta figure something out, both shows kept running with travel restricted from some of the largest states in the country so not sure why the reverse would be difficult otherwise. 

Fact is, statistically everyone of these people is tested positive are gonna be fine and probably everyone won't have more than a mild code. What this SHOULD do is eliminate  the use of everyone over a certain age for the foreseeable future. 

For the record, I live in Florida. I'm in Northwest Florida so not as hard hit but everyone is definitely aware of the uptick in cases since the state loosened restrictions on businesses and public spaces. This WAS always gonna be the tradeoff and it's going to be mirrored in every state as restrictions loosens. 

So, I think everyone needs to take a breath on the "sky is falling." WWE should be buried ten feet under the Earth for the negligence of not testing until last week but moving forward no reason to not keep running.  

• Like 2

And on top of WWE not testing, a lot of talent aren't social distancing at all. Several wrestlers went to Vegas to celebrate Billie Kay's birthday recently. No masks, around others not part of their entourage, the whole nine. So yeah, Vince is messing up. But the wrestlers are no better.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hagan said:

So, I think everyone needs to take a breath on the "sky is falling." WWE should be buried ten feet under the Earth for the negligence of not testing until last week but moving forward no reason to not keep running.  

Okay - even I agreed with everything in your post (which I don't), regarding this last line. You are making an assumption that suddenly the WWE is going to "do the right thing" regarding health and safety precautions which they should not get the benefit of the doubt for

That alone is a reason to not keep running

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Moreover - the WWE has been running for months and not testing. If you don't think there's been guys competing who have been asymptomatic, you're being naive. 

I think you should tell them that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Okay - even I agreed with everything in your post (which I don't), regarding this last line. You are making an assumption that suddenly the WWE is going to "do the right thing" regarding health and safety precautions which they should not get the benefit of the doubt for

That alone is a reason to not keep running

That's fair. They certainly don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. 

• Like 1

I agree with some of what Hagan said. I certainly don't think the sky is falling or they need to shut down. Trying to avoid turning this into AEW vs WWE, but AEW has handled this entire period so much better than WWE has. There really isn't any excuse for WWE to have not been testing EVERYONE for months now. It's either pure ignorance or Vince not taking any of this seriously. Or both.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I agree with some of what Hagan said. I certainly don't think the sky is falling or they need to shut down. Trying to avoid turning this into AEW vs WWE, but AEW has handled this entire period so much better than WWE has. There really isn't any excuse for WWE to have not been testing EVERYONE for months now. It's either pure ignorance or Vince not taking any of this seriously. Or both.

Even beyond just a AEW vs. WWE thing, it still should also be said that even if things are bad right now, considering how things throughout Florida are really, really bad, the fact AEW and WWE are just getting hit now bypasses "they handled this poorly", and bypassed "even the law of averages should say they should have been hit by now", and goes to "...tell the truth, it's kind of impressive AEW and WWE lasted this long without seriously getting hit." Even with Florida exploding, WWE and AEW got hit about a week or two after NHL and MLB got hit.

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

has AEW had anyone, staff or wrestler, test positive yet though?

No, but we'll see what QT's results turn out to be. I imagine Moxley and Renee will get tested too just as a precautionary measure.

Regardless of the odds, there's still a chance someone that seems healthy could end up dying. It is happening. If that does happen, watch the fuck out.

5 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Regardless of the odds, there's still a chance someone that seems healthy could end up dying. It is happening. If that does happen, watch the fuck out.

And that's what it would take to shut down WWE tapings for awhile (and not just for a day). Otherwise, they're going to find a way to get new content on the air.

37 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Eventually other states are going to realize they have to at least partially re-open for business and I bet they bolt from doing shows in Florida pretty fast.

Some states have never been on lockdown at all. I don't believe any state is still under a phase one lockdown. I would imagine AEW and WWE could run in a lot of states but it's cheaper/more convenient for them to run in their home arenas in Florida.

57 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Even beyond just a AEW vs. WWE thing, it still should also be said that even if things are bad right now, considering how things throughout Florida are really, really bad, the fact AEW and WWE are just getting hit now bypasses "they handled this poorly", and bypassed "even the law of averages should say they should have been hit by now", and goes to "...tell the truth, it's kind of impressive AEW and WWE lasted this long without seriously getting hit." Even with Florida exploding, WWE and AEW got hit about a week or two after NHL and MLB got hit.

Because of how easy it is to be infected and asymptomatic, I don't know if "lasted this long without getting hit" is true so much as "lasted this long without a bunch of tests coming up positive."

It's almost certain that people were walking around with symptoms and passing it to one another in this company with how lax they've been about the whole thing. Don't know about AEW, but I'm sure the same is true for them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Some states have never been on lockdown at all. I don't believe any state is still under a phase one lockdown. I would imagine AEW and WWE could run in a lot of states but it's cheaper/more convenient for them to run in their home arenas in Florida.

Speaking of that, sort of OT: A bunch of states just put Arkansas on the travel from quarantine list a day ago. Our governor, Asa Hutchinson, had a response that basically was the equivalent of, "What the fuck?"

We were never on lockdown, but all the non-essential businesses were basically shut down for two months. Everything has been reopened for a month and some change, and the cases are now higher than before those businesses shut down. I can't imagine how disastrous it would be for a company that has handled this extremely poorly to move from a state that has handled this extremely poor to a state where saying it has handled COVID-19 extremely poorly would be an understatement. So yeah, stay in Florida.