DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I had to watch some Ric Blade compilations on YouTube. He is what you get when you add a lot of Hardy Boys circa '00 with Fire Pro move craft that has ladders and tables capabilities. A human video game wrestler. And I love it!

Oh, I love some bullshit spotfest wrestling.  The S.A.T. are one of my favorite tag tams!  But there are only so many times I can watch Blade wander around between spots, or fuck up and try to repeat a spot before I have to tap out.

Now show me a Ric Blade highlight reel that's just crazy spots and I'm in for that.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Hard to argue keeping Backstage going when it requires a dozen+ people and drew the ratings it was drawing, when recent evidence shows you can just show classic content in that slot. Hate to see people lose their jobs, but that show felt DOA from an economic standpoint from the start.

I hesitate to say this given how beaten to death of a topic its been over the last 8 years or however long it's been, but I think it's worth asking whether or not it affects Punk's negotiating power in the future should he ever get the itch, either in WWE or elsewhere

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

Did Sawada actually invent the move or did he just name it?  At least one of the Russians in NJPW used it in the 80s and Mutoh/Muta used it on occasion in the 90s as well.

Do we still count Ligers as mythical despite technically existing?

We shouldn't since they exist and are as cool as fuck, respiratory problems and all...

• Like 1

How come nobody gave love for the classics - monkey flip and bulldog?

Whenever I bust out a game with create-a-wrestler, I always wind up trying to give one wrestler nothing but animal-named moves. They usually wind up with a horrifically inconsistent moveset as a result, but it's easier to pull of than the "only uses moves named after geographic locations" gimmick.

Edited by kafkonia

4 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Does King Kong Knee Drop count?

An aside, but I feel like we need to come up with a more menacing term than "splash'"

Like "Phoenix Gut Explosion"

or

"450 Sternum Detonator"

I think if you merge the terms to "Phoenix Gut Detonator" you've really got something.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Oh, I love some bullshit spotfest wrestling.  The S.A.T. are one of my favorite tag tams!  But there are only so many times I can watch Blade wander around between spots, or fuck up and try to repeat a spot before I have to tap out.

Now show me a Ric Blade highlight reel that's just crazy spots and I'm in for that.

Somewhere Blitzkrieg and Jody Fleisch weep.

26 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I hesitate to say this given how beaten to death of a topic its been over the last 8 years or however long it's been, but I think it's worth asking whether or not it affects Punk's negotiating power in the future should he ever get the itch, either in WWE or elsewhere

Well, I suppose that somewhere there's a huge demand for guys post-40 that haven't been near a ring in nearly a decade and are mostly known for their sour attitude and generally assholish demeanor.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

There sure is. The Saudis ponied up for HBK. 

Well played, sir! Well played!

5 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Fangraphs hates that trade for Raw. You don’t swap a #2 starter for two #4’s. You really need a prospect there on the SD side to sweeten the future value. I’d have balked at this deal unless it included a FV 45 like Mustafa Ali.

Can we just change Smackdown to a program where AJ and Mustafa Ali wrestle each other for an hour every week?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

Somewhere Blitzkrieg and Jody Fleisch weep.

Not really related to anything,  but I figured out over the weekend that I had been confusing Jody Fleisch and Jonny Storm for 20 years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

The Saudis asked for Yokozuna. They won't catch up to Punk's run for another ten years.

It's actually surprising that they didn't ask for Bruno and Superst*r Billy Graham.

1 minute ago, Zimbra said:

Not really related to anything,  but I figured out over the weekend that I had been confusing Jody Fleisch and Jonny Storm for 20 years.

Here's an easy way to remember the difference: One belongs to the Fantastic Four and sets himself on fire, the other walks on walls.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, D.Z said:

Dragons exist.

Hide contents

komodo_dragon-1050x700.jpg

Phooey, they are just big monitors, (not that I'd like to get anywhere near one). I had to take care of the science dept. pet monitor over Christmas break in High School. Damn thing was only about two feet long (including tail) then, the next year they had to give it to the zoo. 

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Jodie Fliesch is the one who'll still be able to get (honourable) work once Britwres restarts.

Also, he's the one with the body. 

9 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Fangraphs hates that trade for Raw. You don’t swap a #2 starter for two #4’s. You really need a prospect there on the SD side to sweeten the future value. I’d have balked at this deal unless it included a FV 45 like Mustafa Ali.

couldn't agree more.  This is like giving up Boardwalk  to get Baltic and Mediterrainian

3 hours ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

I just found out Sasha's real name is Mercedes Varnado. It's no Michael Hickenbottom, but that is definitely going in the "Should have used their shoot name as wrestling name" category. 

The winner in that category is Richard Blood.

Dick Blood if you're nasty.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I mentioned this in the RAW thread but I will mention it here too

Per Meltzer - Charlotte is having surgery and is out until at least Summerslam (thus why last night's angle happened)