DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

1 minute ago, Tromatagon said:

The move was invented by Poison Sawada JULIE, who is not a woman.

His moves were named after weird mysteries with occult connotations, since he's a snake cult leader.

His other finisher is the Moai of Easter

Oh, I didn't realize he had innovated it, I thought it preceded him, at least the version where the victim is seated.

I stand corrected.

29 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

@OctopusCinema Legit have not thought about Roadkill since he and Doring were released from WWF developmental 10000 years ago. I was sort of surprised they didn't make the initial WWECW cut when they were signing guys like Balls, Credible, etc. Though on the other hand, I guess without a tag title it wouldn't have made a ton of sense 

I feel like they tried to repackage him. I can’t find video of it so I might be wrong. My guess is the writers had an issue with the Amish gimmick. 

It’s a damn shame that Roadkill wasn’t given another shot post ECW.  That guy was excellent and terribly underrated.  And always found a way to get a nice pop wherever he was on the card.  How did he not get work with ROH or TNA?  I’m assuming he retired to pursue another career?  

Roadkill got sent to OVW for repackaging but still was Amish a lot of the time, then became a trunks guy with mutton chops and hair named Braddock and Antoni Polaski.

Edited by Tromatagon

7 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

Roadkill got sent to OVW for repackaging but still was Amish a lot of the time, then became a trunks guy with mutton chops and hair named Braddock and Antoni Polaski.

He was pretty awesome as Polaski.  Just a fat ass-kicker character.  Too bad it didn't go anywhere.

YMMV since it's a mythical animal but...

Phoenix splash

Dragon screw leg whip

Dragon sleeper

And as far as non mythic animals for the diehard zoological fandom

Liger bomb

Edited by Hayabusa
Gratitude for the many zoologists.
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Log said:

He was pretty awesome as Polaski.  Just a fat ass-kicker character.  Too bad it didn't go anywhere.

I seem to remember reading OVW reports and there was something about Vince wanting to make him a combo of Da Crusher/Dick The Bruiser. Roadkill in the original ECW was great though. I mean it was a dumb gimmick that the ECW fans should have shit on, but he got them to love him. If ECW survived into 2001 and beyond I wouldn't have been surprised if he got a Television title run at some point.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

The move was invented by Poison Sawada JULIE, who is not a woman.

His moves were named after weird mysteries with occult connotations, since he's a snake cult leader.

His other finisher is the Moai of Easter

41 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Oh, I didn't realize he had innovated it, I thought it preceded him, at least the version where the victim is seated.

I stand corrected.

Did Sawada actually invent the move or did he just name it?  At least one of the Russians in NJPW used it in the 80s and Mutoh/Muta used it on occasion in the 90s as well.

9 minutes ago, Hayabusa said:

Phoenix splash

Dragon screw leg whip

Dragon sleeper

Liger bomb?

Do we still count Ligers as mythical despite technically existing?

Does King Kong Knee Drop count?

16 minutes ago, Hayabusa said:

Phoenix splash

An aside, but I feel like we need to come up with a more menacing term than "splash'"

Like "Phoenix Gut Explosion"

or

"450 Sternum Detonator"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Roadkill and Danny Doring was a really fun team. Dying days ECW had a fun, quirky tag team division. I loved Simon and Swinger too.

Speaking of ECW, Impact may want to edit off any segments of the Swing man talking about ‘bizzanging the rizzats.’

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

That CM Punk return sure was a flop.

It makes sense that Inside PBC is gone because there is no new boxing content being produced until late July. Even then, it's only one event and not that big of a fight even to hardcore boxing fans.

5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Went down a nostalgia rabbit hole this weekend and watched some 2001 CZW and ICW.  I do not miss having to hear every single wrestler cut a shitty promo on the shitty house mic.

I had also forgotten Ric Blade's extremely comical hairline.

I had to watch some Ric Blade compilations on YouTube. He is what you get when you add a lot of Hardy Boys circa '00 with Fire Pro move craft that has ladders and tables capabilities. A human video game wrestler. And I love it!

My favourite move named after an animal is Calf Branding.

Although it may be named after a body part. Which would make no sense because it's a kneedrop, not a legdrop.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

It’s a damn shame that Roadkill wasn’t given another shot post ECW.  That guy was excellent and terribly underrated.  And always found a way to get a nice pop wherever he was on the card.  How did he not get work with ROH or TNA?  I’m assuming he retired to pursue another career?  

Roadkill & Doring had a brief 3 week run in TNA back in October 2003

2 hours ago, Hagan said:

Roadkill and Danny Doring was a really fun team. Dying days ECW had a fun, quirky tag team division. I loved Simon and Swinger too.

Speaking of ECW, Impact may want to edit off any segments of the Swing man talking about ‘bizzanging the rizzats.’

The truth. 

Tony Mamaluke is one of my all time favorite bump guys and he was murdering himself back then with the SICILIAN SHOOTER. I wanna say the PPVtag match against Doring/Roadkill was the one where he went throat first into a guardrail. People complain about dudes taking apron bumps.... it could be worse. Guys could be doing this still

But it was them, Matthews and York, Tajiri/Whipwreck, Simon Diamond/Swinger, and they were stealing the show.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I appreciate her intent but I don't think anyone actively making money for Vince has a leg to stand on when it comes to standing up against cultures of bullying, rape, exploitation, etc.  Not singling out Nikki Cross or this one tweet specifically.  It's just something that's struck me in the past few days whenever I see someone in WWE speak out on the recent controversy and related topics.

There are a lot of CEOs as depraved as Vince. A lot of politicians who might run the governments that some of us work for, too. We all have to work for shitbags. That doesn't mean that we don't have a leg to stand on when we disagree with them. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1