DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

5 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Last Ride was very well made and extremely good, but man, that was depressing as hell and I’m pretty sure that was the point. Taker clearly doesn’t know what he’s looking for but is going to keep going because he won’t know if or when he gets it. It’s basically The Wrestler, about 3-4 years before the death matches against Necro.

I thought it was going to be a series about what a badass Taker is, all the 'Spirit of the WWE' stuff etc etc. Instead I just watch every ep and audibly yell at my TV "Fucking RETIRE dude!!!" half a dozen times.

I honeslty think if the Reigns match had gone perfectly he would have walked away. Now he keeps coming back for the 25 minute, 4* minimum, main event finale and every botch has him coming back for a do over.

I dont think the Boneyard match is gonna scratch that itch. He is gonna want 25 mins in the ring with AJ/Bryan/Rollins, live at SummerSlam or Survivor Series or Mania...

If Undertaker was the super worker so many claim him to be, wouldn't he be smart enough to work around his limitations? Why is he out there embarrassing himself trying to do stuff he could do 15 years ago? Does he feel that's what the fans demand of him and they need their money's worth? I highly doubt that.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 3

Again are we really surprised that people who have lived and loved through Jerry Lawler and Ric Flair stories would have this opinion.   I mean correct me if I am wrong but phrases like "blow job babyfaces" came from this area.  

Edited by hammerva

2 hours ago, Omega said:

This sucks and is disappointing, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that there is part of me that thinks: let's not take away the experience of hundreds maybe thousands of real, actual sexual assault victims, because a 17 year old child said something very wrong on a podcast 5 years ago. Again: this sucks and is wrong, no one supports it, but after the last three days, does this even register? Like, someone had to go back and look for this, no one came out and said "Sammy ruined my life doing x y z." 

• Like 2

Not to take away from the grossness of Sammy’s comment in the video, but the dude who posted that has a seriously fucking gross pinned tweet about Bayley/Sasha.  What the fuck.  

Dude is clearly all about making sure female wrestlers are talked about with respect.

EDIT:  Oh, and transphobic tweets about Nyla Rose, too.  Just an all-around classy guy.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, The Natural said:

THIS.

I appreciate her intent but I don't think anyone actively making money for Vince has a leg to stand on when it comes to standing up against cultures of bullying, rape, exploitation, etc.  Not singling out Nikki Cross or this one tweet specifically.  It's just something that's struck me in the past few days whenever I see someone in WWE speak out on the recent controversy and related topics.

12 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

Necro coming out of retirement to face Undertaker in a deathmatch, think Boneyard match meets the cinematic shots and edited cuts of the Wrestler movie, gets all the buys in this house. It could go 5 minutes and as long as we get the chair sit down and slug it out sequence, some chairshots to the body, and Necro taking the chokeslam onto barbwire and/or thumbtacks, then I'm good. Give them both stunt doubles with wigs like Hot Shots part deux or Spaceballs, it's even better imo.

Would be an incredible car crash spectacle to see a broken down, near immobile old man with extreme right wing political views go up against [squints at notes] Necro Butcher

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I appreciate her intent but I don't think anyone actively making money for Vince has a leg to stand on when it comes to standing up against cultures of bullying, rape, exploitation, etc.  Not singling out Nikki Cross or this one tweet specifically.  It's just something that's struck me in the past few days whenever I see someone in WWE speak out on the recent controversy and related topics.

Pretty much every promotion is in the shitter right now.  At least WWE isn't RoH and Impact.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I did just lock two threads about the same subject for a reason and it wasn't so you'd move the conversation over here.

I get that, and I also get why you locked the other conversations, but what do you expect to be the topic of conversation on a wrestling board?  Seriously, this is all awful, but we're all here because we love wrestling.  It's unrealistic for anyone to think that we're not going to want to discuss what feels like a fundamental shift in the industry.

• Like 8

Went down a nostalgia rabbit hole this weekend and watched some 2001 CZW and ICW.  I do not miss having to hear every single wrestler cut a shitty promo on the shitty house mic.

I had also forgotten Ric Blade's extremely comical hairline.

• Haha 1