DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

9 hours ago, supremebve said:

I went to high school with a dude shorter than me who could dunk.  He was a sophmore who unseated a 3-year starting senior at middle linebacker on the football team, and quit after the first game (the linebacker he replace went on to be all-district).  He was like 5'5" and maybe 190 lbs. but could out lift, out run, and out jump damn near everyone on the team.  We had a guard who went to the NFL, and little fucker could outlift him.  The crazy thing is that he wasn't even the most unlikely athletic freak on the team, we had a defensive lineman who was like 5'8" 275 and was faster than all but 2 running backs on the team.  We were really good that year (I say "we" very loosely, because I contributed next to nothing to contribute to that success) and it's the craziest collection of insane athletes I've ever been around.

I played a charity basketball game against Glyn Milburn of the Denver Broncos right before he joined the Lions. He's listed as 5'8" but... yeah. Anyway, he could EASILY touch the top of the backboard. Like the flat part on top not the top part of the front. His vertical was absolutely insane to see. 

• Like 1

Watching the Raws after Mania 10 leading up to KOTR 94.

That 10 man tag getting cancelled caused a bit of continuation issues it seems - the Superstars episode where the Headshrinkers come out and start a face turn by challenging the Quebecers is already in the can, but they're still on the heel side in the 10 man tag moved to Raw, so there's a few weeks of trying to find continuation with them being heels who challenged other heels before becoming faces. The title change is a seriously underrated match - great face in peril segment, they really lay it in, and the crowd are super into it, and very much not in to anything else.

Lawler starts a feud with Piper by constantly burying him for being old on commentary. Lawler is 5 years older than Piper. He's also seriously fucking annoying. His promo with Nash is pretty funny where he flubs - calling Nash "Cool Daddy", which Nash glares a hole through him for, and then flubs his own line that Lawler tries to cover for.

The week earlier - he gets dropped off his throne being carried to the ring by jobbers. One of which is a young D-Lo Brown.

A weird segment where Tonya Harding hangs out with Doink and Dink.....pre-Nancy Kerrigan allegations.

Vince and Savage absolutely bury Perfect for no-showing (I think a MSG house show) match against Lex Luger. Savage does a great job of trying to talk up his until recently mortal enemy, Crush as his replacement.

There's a pretty good Bret-Kwang match in there. Bret makes his offence look fantastic.

They spend a lot of time building Yoko vs Earthquake considering Tenta is in WCW months later.

I think they were looking to build to a Chief Jay Strongbow vs IRS match at some point, and the crowd is just dead for him (and by proxy, Tatanka), and it goes nowhere. Possibly just leads into the Tatanka heel turn instead?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

I think they were looking to build to a Chief Jay Strongbow vs IRS match at some point, and the crowd is just dead for him (and by proxy, Tatanka), and it goes nowhere. Possibly just leads into the Tatanka heel turn instead?

Strongbow had to be about 64/65 at the time. Who thought that would be a good idea?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

Strongbow had to be about 64/65 at the time. Who thought that would be a good idea?

Funnily enough it's almost identical to what they were doing with Christian last week. 

"He's retired from in-ring competition, but he hasn't retired from being a man!"

• RIPPA locked this topic
  • RIPPA unpinned, pinned and unlocked this topic

Okay - to follow up on a few other things that had come up in this thread.

And these are all things from the new WON

RE KO not working the tapings. Apparently, his wife's grandfather passed away a few weeks ago from COVID so it is obviously a very sensitive subject for him and his family.

RE WWE folks Vince doesn't like (at least to push)

Make no mistake about it, both Raw and Smackdown are, and have always been, Vince McMahon’s shows. That won’t change now. If you follow the booking, Bruce Prichard presents shows and ideas knowing what McMahon likes. Heyman was attempting to build his own new crew, that would be loyal to him, and trying to keep the casualty count low when McMahon would routinely lose interest in the newer wrestlers. The most obvious casualty counts were Ricochet, Shayna Baszler, Cedric Alexander and Humberto Carrillo, who McMahon pretty much took off Raw of late. Heyman was able to protect Black better than most, and Apollo Crews, who was in catering for the most part on Smackdown did an injury angle which bided him some time. Austin Theory and Murphy were aligned with Seth Rollins, which gave them protection.

It will be obvious very quickly what talent McMahon didn’t want pushed over the next month. Aside from Baszler, who McMahon had taken off television weeks ago, the jury is still out on most.

As far as the key people, it was too early to tell who was and wasn’t being depushed. Black, Carrillo and Baszler weren’t on the show, but Baszler had been off for weeks and just being off one show doesn’t mean a lot, it’s the pattern. It’s too early to tell on the others, but the show was so filled with angles that everyone was figured into something. But there can be dangers of that long-term, such as too many angles leading to people not caring about any of the angles.

Note - those paragraphs weren't concurrent. I just pulled them out of the larger blurb about Heyman getting fired

I always knew Shayna would be a tough sell to Vince. She doesn't have "the look" he wants. Plus her being friends with Ronda doesn't help. You know he has to be bitter about her taking time off to raise a family. But putting Shayna on RAW was the wrong move. With Fox wanting "sports oriented", you'd think she would be a natural for Smackdown. 

Speaking of Taker, here's a pretty good interview from Loudwire with him talking about music. Never would have guessed Taker was a huge Elvis fan.

https://loudwire.com/undertaker-favorite-bands-most-metal-wrestler/

Do we know anything else about Shayna other than what RIPPA shared above? I think it's entirely possibly Vince isn't a big fan. But without more context that comes off as Dave reading trying to read the tea leaves based on who is and isn't on television, which may or may not be the best move at a moment when people are taking time off for all sorts of reasons. Has anything else been reported about why she's off TV or about Vince's opinion of her? 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

14 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Do we know anything else about Shayna other than what RIPPA shared above? I think it's entirely possibly Vince isn't a big fan. But without more context that comes off as Dave reading trying to read the tea leaves based on who is and isn't on television, which may or may not be the best move at a moment when people are taking time off for all sorts of reasons. Has anything else been reported about why she's off TV or about Vince's opinion of her? 

Perhaps you are forgetting the facts that

a. Vince is evil

b. Shayna is a good wrestler 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I think you'll know when she comes back dressed as the San Diego Chicken.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Cristobal said:

Ok I have not been super-active on this board lately but did I miss the big reveal?

Cuz I need to go search people I've got in slapfights on here with and if it's clean then I can pitch Chris Daniels as the one to take the TNT title off of Cody.

What happened was, my YouTube autoplayed a video claiming to have identified the original source for the Savage & Steph rumour. And that YouTuber (who pretends to be an investigative journalist, but actually is one of those guys whose channel is just him reading Reddit posts out loud) claimed it was started by someone 

Spoiler

Probably Ganc

posting under the name "G Gordon Liddy" on this here board, in 2006. But they also showed the thread, the first page of which is apparently one of the few discussion thread pages that the wayback machine actually saved. And as it turned out, the Sleaze Thread was started by someone posting under the name 'Coach Tony K'. And the possibility that this Tony K and that Tony K were in fact the same person was too delicious to deny. So even if it wasn't actually Tony Khan who started the Sleaze Thread, we've more or less retconned board history so it always was.

Except we didn't need to, because he actually did do it. Unless he didn't. In which case he still did ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

(forgot to post this Yesterday)

For the 99.9 % percent that don’t listen to our pod, Les Thatcher mentioned they are putting out a Best of the Pillman Show later this year, with matches from all 4 shows and also Les doing a new sit down interview w Brian Jr. 

he said Dr Tom still uses “that match” as a teaching tool in seminars. 

• Like 3

The best use of Joey Janela is as a promoter for montly or bi-monthly AEW Dark episodes that are Janela productions. Get him to do the hype videos, the promos, build up the shows as something special and bring in vets to work youngsters. Bobby Fulton vs. Janela in a barbed wire cage match is perfect!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

But putting Shayna on RAW was the wrong move. With Fox wanting "sports oriented", you'd think she would be a natural for Smackdown. 

I wonder if the "sports oriented" talk is actually true?  People you thought would be a natural for that sort of thing ended up on Raw.  Ronda left before the Fox show even started, Lesnar got traded to Raw almost immediately (Ronda and Brock were two of the people Fox supposedly wanted on SD), the Fiend - who has one of the goofier gimmicks going - went to SDL, etc.  Fox hasn't been much different from RAW in terms of sports entertainment, so I kinda assume the "pure sports build" talk was either overstated or Vince just can't help himself and screwed over the network a bit to show who was in charge.

Before Covid-19 hit, three was some talk from Meltzer that Fox execs weren't happy with the show and felt Vince had not delivered on some of the things he promised them (creatively, not in terms of ratings).

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Apparently FOX execs weren’t happy with the pee stuff.

And USA reportedly wasn't happy that Heyman was fired

So Vince is just having a banner time with his TV partners recently