DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Kevin Owens decided to stay home instead of attending the tapings today.

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/kevin-owens-not-wednesday-wwe-raw-taping-313561

Former WWE Universal Champion Kevin Owens was not at Wednesday's WWE Raw taping, opting to sit out due to a recent positive COVID-19 test by another wrestler.

The news was first reported by Fightful and later confirmed by Dave Meltzer.

The 36-year-old returned in mid-May after taking a break to heal up after his WrestleMania match against Seth Rollins in addition to wanting to spend more time with his family during the pandemic. 

The Fightful report said that WWE has no issue with Owens staying at home and did not pressure him into coming. It's unknown when he will return but per the original taping schedule, two editions of Raw are set to be filmed this Monday.

36 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

MJF is a treasure. We're lucky to have him.

it's been so long since someone actually tried to keep up kayfabe away from the arena nobody even recognizes when it's happening anymore.  YHWH Bless MJF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

WCW had Goldberg as their S-Tier level guy.  After that was DDP (who really should have been the one to beat Goldberg)... Steiner, and honestly, not much more beyond that.  

Sting, Hogan, Flair...

6 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Feels like we can't really like anybody these days without compartmentalizing their talents from how shitty they are. 

I think Dolly Parton might literally be the only celeb that it's safe to like these days.

• Haha 1

It's fine, everybody's a little bit shitty.

On another note, I want some chicken and cola. Coca-Cola or RC, I don't care which.

Just none of that Pepsi garbage. There's another reason CM Punk sucked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

It's fine, everybody's a little bit shitty.

On another note, I want some chicken and cola. Coca-Cola or RC, I don't care which.

Just none of that Pepsi garbage. There's another reason CM Punk sucked.

?My mom, rest her soul, was a lifelong Fiet Coke devotee, and she used to say "Pepsi is for pigs."?

1 hour ago, nate said:

?My mom, rest her soul, was a lifelong Fiet Coke devotee, and she used to say "Pepsi is for pigs."?

I'd watch an entire documentary on active participants in the Coke vs. Pepsi war.

10 hours ago, Oyaji said:

And, as John Oliver highlighted, she had a romanticized Civil War dinner theatre in which a confederate soldier served you your chicken and cola.

We're doomed.

At least she acknowledged it was wrong and removed the term Dixie from the name of the whole thing and I think a lot of the Civil War related stuff. My parents went there before the change a few years ago and gave me 3 free t-shirts that said Dixie Stampede on them. I refused to wear them and he wears them around instead.

14 hours ago, Edwin said:

MJF.

I think this is my first time seeing him out of character and it is a little jarring, because like people have said he has maintained kayfabe EXTREMELY well. I was legitimately starting to think he was an actual prick because nobody can be that good of an actor ?

As for people coming off as pricks with such ease, David Starr being a sleaze doesn't surprise me. Even though there are plenty of things but he has said about politics and workers rights that I am completely in agreement with, I have never really liked the dude or enjoyed hearing him talk. He definitely came off as the kind of dude that patted himself on the back for his beliefs. 

• Like 3

Steiner is a case of someone who didn't nail his character until he was half broken down. So I think people fantasize of what it would of looked like if he put all the pieces together five or six years before. 

I was trying to think of other examples of wrestlers who fell into this category. Mark Henry?

I want to see Mark Henry doing a bunch of suplexes to guys before he figures out his character. He'd german people into the front row.

4 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

Steiner is a case of someone who didn't nail his character until he was half broken down. So I think people fantasize of what it would of looked like if he put all the pieces together five or six years before. 

I was trying to think of other examples of wrestlers who fell into this category. Mark Henry?

Was there a really a period in the WWE when Henry wasn't half-broken down?  It seems like he spent a lot of time on the shelf even early in his career.

• Like 1

Considering how big he was and how well he could move for his size, it's not surprising he was injured a lot. That body size isn't meant to be that mobile. He used to be able to dunk a basketball afterall. I don't care if he's 6'3", at that weight, that's absurd.

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 2

On 6/10/2020 at 11:15 AM, Zimbra said:

Yeah, I would definitely pay a couple of bucks for the full library cataloged so I didn't have to dig through youtube and dailymotion to find stuff.

My dream but insanely niche streaming service would have SWS/WAR, PWFG/Battlarts/Futen, UWF, ULL, and 90s MPro and it would absolutely go out of business within a month.

OK, NOW WE'RE GETTING SOMEWHERE

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

Considering how big he was and how well he could move for his size, it's not surprising he was injured a lot. That body size isn't meant to be that mobile. He used to be able to dunk a basketball afterall. I don't care if he's 6'3", at that weight, that's absurd.

The NBA has really made people underestimate the athleticism it takes to dunk a basketball.  The average 6'3" dude cannot dunk a basketball, the average 370 pound man can't dunk on a nerf hoop.  Do you guys remember the football player Shaun Rogers?  He was a 6'4" 350+ lb. defensive tackle, who blocked 17 kicks in his career.  There was a rumor that he pulled of a 360 dunk in a charity hoops game...that's fucking insane.

• Like 1

As an average 6'3 man, dunking is hard.  If i stand flat I can touch an 8 foot ceiling.  I then need to jump at least 2 more feet in the air to touch a regulation hoop. To actually dunk I have to jump at least 2ft plus the size of hte ball I am trying to dunk to get it over the rim, and have that jump peak out even higher than that.

So yeah, dunking is hard, especially if you don't train for it.  Short dudes dunking means they have some ridiculously powerful legs.  Fat dudes dunking means they have some ludicrously powerful legs and might even go plaid with their hops. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, D.Z said:

Reportedly Vince has taken Interest in NXT. The change in direction booking wise for NXT is to be more sports entertainment.

I haven't watched it in quite a while but when I did watch NXT back in the day, I'd see all those great matches and think to myself, "this company is almost perfect.  If only it had more jokes about shitting and vomiting!"

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Tromatagon said:

IWTV got Battlarts.

Holy fucking shit you guys, if you haven't seen it DO SO IMMEDIATELY.  

Edit: Haaaaaaaaa beaten to it.

The original or just the Canadian version?

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

The NBA has really made people underestimate the athleticism it takes to dunk a basketball.  The average 6'3" dude cannot dunk a basketball, the average 370 pound man can't dunk on a nerf hoop.  Do you guys remember the football player Shaun Rogers?  He was a 6'4" 350+ lb. defensive tackle, who blocked 17 kicks in his career.  There was a rumor that he pulled of a 360 dunk in a charity hoops game...that's fucking insane.

I'm always reminded of this big fella.

11 minutes ago, Morganti said:

As an average 6'3 man, dunking is hard.  If i stand flat I can touch an 8 foot ceiling.  I then need to jump at least 2 more feet in the air to touch a regulation hoop. To actually dunk I have to jump at least 2ft plus the size of hte ball I am trying to dunk to get it over the rim, and have that jump peak out even higher than that.

So yeah, dunking is hard, especially if you don't train for it.  Short dudes dunking means they have some ridiculously powerful legs.  Fat dudes dunking means they have some ludicrously powerful legs and might even go plaid with their hops. 

Now imagine Spud Webb sized guys.