DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

30 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Didn't Scott have a big singles match with Muta around the time they were thinking of pushing him to the moon?  One of my earliest memories of WCW was Muta vs. Arn for the TV title

Scott was TV champ when they left for WWF. Crazy his tv title reign is never mentioned and i usually forget it even happened. 

45 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Didn't Scott have a big singles match with Muta around the time they were thinking of pushing him to the moon?  One of my earliest memories of WCW was Muta vs. Arn for the TV title

This was from when he just joined the promotion. I'm not sure if they had any other singles matches on TV

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Sid might actually have been a guy who would have been better off in a territory.

Respectfully I gotta disagree on that one. Sid main evented two Wrestlemainias. One with Hogan & one with Undertaker. Two runs as WWE Champion. Two runs as WCW Champion. Was always a major deal in WWE. Survivor Series 96 is a good example. And that run started with him being a replacement when Ultimate Warrior flaked. So they basically promoted him as a guy equal to Warrior. He had that hot but short ECW run. Every run he had in WCW he was tippy top of the card.

He did way better than you're giving him credit for. His push and accomplishments are probably up in the top 20% of all time. I get that he was never a mega star during a boom period, but not many were. If you compare him to similarly pushed guys like Nash (0 WM main events) or Kane (0 WM main events), you start to see that he did more than people remember.

• Like 4

Per Mike Johnson at PWI regarding WWE and COVID

For almost every person that we’ve spoken with today (with the exception of one talent who stated the pandemic was just a “big work”), there has been concern at some level about their health and for those with families, that concern was even greater, as there was worry about whether they could bring something back home that they could expose their families to as well.  As one person stated, this is exactly why Roman Reigns has stepped away.  Health has obviously been an unspoken concern since the pandemic started, but having been tested today, for many, it is now back at the forefront of their thoughts in a way it hadn’t been previously.”

Legit - I could think of at least a dozen guys who wouldn't surprise me thought it was a hoax

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He didn't say how many WWE wrestlers he spoke to, so it could be a super tiny sample size. But if we're doing a sweepstakes on what WWE wrestler thinks Covid is fake, my money is on AJ Styles.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

For an earlier question-

Would have loved Hayabusa in singles action against Raven, Sandman, Balls, Tajiri, Tazz, Bigelow, Candido and tagging with Jinsei against the Dudleys, any combination of the Triple Threat, Smothers/Guido, Dreamer/Sandman. Add Masato Tanaka to Hayabusa and Jinsei for some 6 man tags even, I'd love them against some of the ECW trios

The timelines may not work out for a few matches but just saying that as far as extended runs, for matches I'd love to have seen, these are some I would have at the top of my list 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, Bruce, bullshit artist* that he is, almost always tries to make his booking ideas not sound like shit and like he was the one to discover so much great talent. If you listen to Bruce, he was the one who discovered CM Punk, so of course he would have also wanted to push Scott Steiner to the moon long ago when WCW wanted to do the same exact thing.

Punk was the main one I was getting at too. Never mind the fact that Conrad correctly pointed out that Paul E had a hard on for the guy way before Bruce did. 

Hell anyone in the front office that had seen even a single ROH show should have been able to see mega $$$ while watching Punk, Bryan, Joe, Cesaro (before the WWE f’d him up), and AJ. 

Actually AJ is another one I’ve noticed Bruce tries to take credit for then he talks weird about his time with AJ in TNA. It’s like okay he was obviously on WWE’s radar once back in the day (when they wanted him for developmental), then I’m sure when he left New Japan that was more of a Triple H pushed hard to bring him in move as opposed to anything Prichard did. 

9 minutes ago, AxB said:

He didn't say how many WWE wrestlers he spoke to, so it could be a super tiny sample size. But if we're doing a sweepstakes on what WWE wrestler thinks Covid is fake, my money is on AJ Styles.

I'm legit excited for that eventual day after AJ's retired when I can add him to my list of wrestlers who have appeared on InfoWars. 

9 minutes ago, AxB said:

Based on the video posted yesterday Mojo is the only other one I can think of. I’d have said Miz, but considering he’s already got production screwed up, and taken off of TV due to showing up sick I can’t see it being him. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Per Mike Johnson at PWI regarding WWE and COVID

Legit - I could think of at least a dozen guys who wouldn't surprise me thought it was a hoax

AJ Styles, AJ Styles and oh, yeah. AJ Styles!

EDIT: Me and @AxB on the same wavelength.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

So either both companies had the same idea that failed for the same reason

Correct. I’d not heard Bruce talking about the 93 rumble (were they even in WWF then?) I just always remember hearing about the 94 KOTR in the early days of IWC.

I just recently watched the Flair/Steiner COTC match and it’s safe to say Scott would have bombed as champ. Plus Flair totally blew him up.

I liken 91 Scott Steiner to Ahmed Johnson: explosive and exciting to watch but reckless and lacking everywhere else 

2 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Unless there's revisionist history - it was Flair that wanted Scott to win the strap years earlier in NWA/WCW... but Scott didn't want to breakup the tag team. 

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

That sounds familiar enough, but it also sounds similar to WCW wanting to push Scott to the moon and have Flair put him over. So either both companies had the same idea that failed for the same reason, or someone from one of the company's, probably Bruce, doesn't have the best memory for that period and is conflating it with what went down in WCW.

Yeah, pretty sure Bruce is making that one up.  I'd always heard the story as Flair wanting to give the title up to Scott, but Scott not wanting to leave Rick with nothing to do.  I have never, in all these years, heard it the McMahon way.  Rule of thumb: if you ever hear a wrestling story whose only source is Prichard, it's definitely a lie.

54 minutes ago, AxB said:

With his big MOLON LABE tattoo, I'd throw Killer Karrion  Kross' hat into the ring as being of the right (pun intended?) type of political bent to believe COVID is a work as well.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Casey said:

To spin off what I mentioned, and the Steiners in ECW thing, who are some other people that had short runs in promotions that you would have loved to see it last longer?

Ricky Morton; Jake Roberts; PCO; Hector Guerrero; and Marty Janetty all had brief runs in ECW, so that's my answer.

29 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So rumors going around that SmackDown tapings have been canceled. Any truth to that? Could be bad corona results.

PWI says the tapings started basically around 1

However - not everyone is cleared yet as not all the test results are in yet

EDIT - and other folks have confirmed that the tapings were delayed due to waiting for results to come in. So they are starting with Main Event and then will do 205 Live. RAW will be the third thing done

5 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

I really wish we'd have got Big Poppa Pump in 1994 WWF. 

I've mentioned how Backlund seemed a "ehh no one else" choice. Steiner would have been phenomenal.

One of the dream scenarios is if you mix early '90s Scotty Steiner's athleticism and mobility with late '90s Big Poppa Pump's personality. Fuck off Hulk Hogan. WCW wins the war.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Casey said:

To spin off what I mentioned, and the Steiners in ECW thing, who are some other people that had short runs in promotions that you would have loved to see it last longer?

I’m at work, so I’m drawing a bit of a blank, but I’m sure I could come up with some if I really thought about it.

Obviously I love Bull Nakano, and she wasn’t featured all that much in either WWF or WCW. I know she had a lot of house show matches with Alundra Blayze in WWF, but as far as on-screen, it wasn’t but maybe a handful if I’m remembering right

Weird one: does TNA go anywhere if Savage works more than the one tag match in '03?