DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

24 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Until very recently I forgot the fucking Steiner Brothers were in ECW between coming back from New Japan and rejoining WCW. I have no idea how Heyman afforded them either.

He used Steiner Math

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

To spin off what I mentioned, and the Steiners in ECW thing, who are some other people that had short runs in promotions that you would have loved to see it last longer?

I’m at work, so I’m drawing a bit of a blank, but I’m sure I could come up with some if I really thought about it.

Obviously I love Bull Nakano, and she wasn’t featured all that much in either WWF or WCW. I know she had a lot of house show matches with Alundra Blayze in WWF, but as far as on-screen, it wasn’t but maybe a handful if I’m remembering right?

1 hour ago, BobbyWhioux said:

against 1996 HBK, I cheered everyone like 1985 Hulk Hogan

I was so mad when HBK beat Bret at Wrestlemania. HBK was not my dude. I was pro Bret all the way.... and still mad The Undertaker never got a fair shot at the WWF Championship after the 1994 Royal Rumble. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Until very recently I forgot the fucking Steiner Brothers were in ECW between coming back from New Japan and rejoining WCW. I have no idea how Heyman afforded them either.

How much money did Tod Gordon put into ECW while he was around it?

5 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I remember jumping up and popping so hard at how Bret beat Austin the same way he beat Piper at Wrestlemania.

Bret was a goddamn artist. 

One of the many things I love about Bret Hart, his match finishes. Sometimes they would work for Bret like the turnbuckle pinfall when trapped in the Sleeper to Roddy Piper at WrestleMania VIII and Steve Austin's Million Dollar Dream at Survivor Series 1996 while sometimes would be countered. Owen Hart reversing the Victory Roll by Bret Hart at WrestleMania X. Bret successfully used it on Bam Bam Bigelow at the 1993 King of the Ring Finals.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Considering how brief their stint was, I assume the answer was "he didn't"

8 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Gordon was doing the bills when the Steiners were there, so it's more likely they got paid at least.  The money shit didn't happen until Gordon left.  The Steiners were probably nothing more than a stop over between WWF and WCW since ECW didn't count on the "No Compete" at the time (well before they had PPV).  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

Didn't Heyman buy out Gordon a few months before the Steiners showed up?

Yes but I guess it all depends on when they made the deal with the Steiners

Heyman bought out Gordon in May 95

The Steiners first match was late July 95. Their New Japan tour ended early July 95. They then did the tag league in Oct 95. So clearly they did ECW to fill the gap.

Question was did they have it figured out before the first NJ tour ended

I caught some of Survivor Series '96 last night on Fox Sports. Actually, I tuned in just in time to see Bulldog eliminated and Owen go up solo against the Can-Ams, which apparently was their very first appearance in the WWF. That's pretty big, getting an opening win on a major PPV in a debut. Of course they both rushed Owen like monsters and suplexed the shit out of him with the last one having Owen land on his forehead ? It's a shame they flamed out in a year. You'd think Vince could have done more with them, but they were probably just ahead of their time. Thinking of them working during the Smackdown Six era is a nice 'what if'. 

Then before I crashed I made sure to watch the following Mankind/Taker match. Hadn't seen that one in years. Taker even busted out a cross armbreaker at one point, shades of MugaTaker. Man did Foley's moveset come off limited here, but as always he comes off as the crash test dummy trying to give himself a concussion anyway. In case you wondered who thought Terry Gordy would be just peachy as the Executioner, it's actually something nice that McMahon did for a change: 

On an episode of Something to Wrestle With, Bruce Prichard claimed that the Executioner gimmick was given to Gordy because McMahon had doubts that Gordy could still compete effectively and the use of a mask was intended to protect Gordy so that if that were the case, Gordy's legacy would not be tainted. Had Gordy been able to compete at a high level then there would have been the opportunity later for Gordy to unmask. It was mentioned that the hiring was mostly done as a favor for Michael Hayes.

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

I really wish we'd have got Big Poppa Pump in 1994 WWF. 

I've mentioned how Backlund seemed a "ehh no one else" choice. Steiner would have been phenomenal.

If the rumours are true, McMahon wanted to strap a rocket to Scott at KOTR 94 but he refused to keep the Steiners together 

2 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

If the rumours are true, McMahon wanted to strap a rocket to Scott at KOTR 94 but he refused to keep the Steiners together 

I thought the story went that Vince wanted Scott to win the '93 Rumble? I know it's Bruce, but I could've sworn thats what he said on his podcast.

13 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

I thought the story went that Vince wanted Scott to win the '93 Rumble? I know it's Bruce, but I could've sworn thats what he said on his podcast.

Unless there's revisionist history - it was Flair that wanted Scott to win the strap years earlier in NWA/WCW... but Scott didn't want to breakup the tag team. 

Edited by Wyld Samurai
  • Like 1

That sounds familiar enough, but it also sounds similar to WCW wanting to push Scott to the moon and have Flair put him over. So either both companies had the same idea that failed for the same reason, or someone from one of the company's, probably Bruce, doesn't have the best memory for that period and is conflating it with what went down in WCW.

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That sounds familiar enough, but it also sounds similar to WCW wanting to push Scott to the moon and have Flair put him over. So either both companies had the same idea that failed for the same reason, or someone from one of the company's, probably Bruce, doesn't have the best memory for that period and is conflating it with what went down in WCW.

I get the feeling a lot of it is a Bruce trying to make himself/Vince sound like they had this revolutionary idea nobody ever thought of before, and not realizing that people have heard Ric Flair tell that story before. 

So much of Bruce’s nonsense comes across that way. Like he’s always the one to have discovered a talent, or seen potential in them before anyone else did. 

Which if that were truly the case his booking would be much better than it is, and he wouldn’t have floated around companies as much as he has (including going to TNA).

22 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

I get the feeling a lot of it is a Bruce trying to make himself/Vince sound like they had this revolutionary idea nobody ever thought of before, and not realizing that people have heard Ric Flair tell that story before. 

So much of Bruce’s nonsense comes across that way. Like he’s always the one to have discovered a talent, or seen potential in them before anyone else did. 

Which if that were truly the case his booking would be much better than it is, and he wouldn’t have floated around companies as much as he has (including going to TNA).

Yeah, Bruce, bullshit artist* that he is, almost always tries to make his booking ideas not sound like shit and like he was the one to discover so much great talent. If you listen to Bruce, he was the one who discovered CM Punk, so of course he would have also wanted to push Scott Steiner to the moon long ago when WCW wanted to do the same exact thing.

• Thanks 1

I haven't used NJPW World in a while but signed up but am unable to figure out how to log-in on the Firestick app. I get the option for account sign-up but it won't let me sign in or do anything. What am I doing wrong?

Just now, Hagan said:

I haven't used NJPW World in a while but signed up but am unable to figure out how to log-in on the Firestick app. I get the option for account sign-up but it won't let me sign in or do anything. What am I doing wrong?

The Firestick App sucks. At least for me it did. Chromecast seems to work the best for me outside of just connecting my computer or laptop to your TV.

You're likely not doing anything wrong.