DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

God, the whole Jose Lothario thing was so stupid. Even then as a young die-hard HBK fan, I thought it made him look so lame. Especially during his entrance in this match. Jose just keeps walking around. If there ever was a time for Shawn to say, "Get the fuck out of my ring.", it was then.

Just now, Cobra Commander said:

the Ultimate Survivor Series match would have been more interesting in 1989 than 1990. Dusty/Brutus/Hogan/Warrior vs. Savage/Earthquake/Bravo/Perfect.

Man, that would've been awesome.

2 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

In hindsight, it's a strange call that they didn't have him go over here. DiBiase didn't need the rub. They knew they wanted to go all the way with Bret, they already had him do the so close but so far ending with Savage the year prior. 

I think they were testing things.  He was still seen as a tag guy (Harts were champs at the time.)  The crowd totally bought Bret though, and as a PWI Weekly dorkboy at the time, Bret was booked in more singles matches after this and almost never lost.  

Bret/Savage was two years prior.  But Bret had a GREAT match with DiBiase on a 1990 PTW too which made this even more exciting.  

1 minute ago, sydneybrown said:

I think they were testing things.  He was still seen as a tag guy (Harts were champs at the time.)  The crowd totally bought Bret though, and as a PWI Weekly dorkboy at the time, Bret was booked in more singles matches after this and almost never lost.  

Bret/Savage was two years prior.  But Bret had a GREAT match with DiBiase on a 1990 PTW too which made this even more exciting.  

You're talking about the SNME match - rather than the section they had at 89 Survivor Series where it's effectively the same sprint that Bret has with Dibiase the year after.

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

the Ultimate Survivor Series match would have been more interesting in 1989 than 1990. Dusty/Brutus/Hogan/Warrior vs. Savage/Earthquake/Bravo/Perfect.

Somewhere Earthquake and Dusty get counted out.  Warrior and Bravo get a double DQ.  Perfect was still undefeated so it probably comes down to Hogan/Beefcake vs. Savage/Perfect.  Zeus comes out, ruins everything and we get some weird beta-SS91 bullshit where everyone gets DQ'd except Mr Perfect.  Keeping his perfect record intact.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

You're talking about the SNME match - rather than the section they had at 89 Survivor Series where it's effectively the same sprint that Bret has with Dibiase the year after.

Sorry, you're right.  In fairness, that SNME was a GREAT match...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cobra Commander said:

love how a huge portion of the crowd is cheering Sid like he's 1985 Hulk Hogan while there's one female fan in the background shot of the pinfall who slinks down in despair after Sid wins the match.

She's the one who ended up having that Bret/Magee tape last year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

of course Sid hugging Vladimir after winning the title is just how you cap off a finish where Sid kills an old man and hits HBK with a camera to the rabid approval of a dystopian NYC crowd.

I think somebody with more knowledge would be able to point out all the celebrity fans of the 1990s in that crowd. I hope that kid dressed as 1996 Shawn Michaels grew up well adjusted.

I wonder if Sid's reputation is much different right now if he doesn't disappear from the scene from 1997 to 1999 during a wrestling boom. Or if he doesn't get injured 2 months before WCW ends.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Honestly, an equal problem of this in addition is that, even though the original lawsuit gave enough information that if you put 2 and 2 2 together made it 100% crystal clear who the whistleblower is, it can't also be used for the statement legally even if it'd help their claim against the allegations.

The lawsuit said flat-out that the whistleblower was "a wrestler who was one of the 20 people who was allowed to go back to the US", and "wrestled for WWE from 2012 until his release in April"- and comparing all the information given makes it 100% obvious TAFKA Scott Dawson was the person in question (even beyond the "he was on the SD afterwards, Dawson was the only release in April hired in 2012.) If that's so, they could have played the "the whistleblower works for AEW and is doing it to hurt a competitor" card- and whether or not it's true, it'd probably weaken the case more.

what lawsuit / whistleblower thing is this?

9 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I wonder if Sid's reputation is much different right now if he doesn't disappear from the scene from 1997 to 1999 during a wrestling boom. Or if he doesn't get injured 2 months before WCW ends.

No because WWF punished him for leaving by having to job in every match.  The few matches he did do he lost and when you see the matches he no-showed, you can tell who was taking the fall.  He disappeared because he wasn't going to be part of that boom.

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

Man, Survivor Series 96 was my peak fandom. Even as a 10 year old mark, I knew Bret/Austin was a fucking good match, I loved the story and the finish there, but at the same time, I do not recall a match I got more emotionally invested in and actively cheering/reacting to than Sid/Shawn. 

We wouldn't have COVID if people caught on to the Bodyglove elbow pads and fistbumping one another like that. Fact.

I remember jumping up and popping so hard at how Bret beat Austin the same way he beat Piper at Wrestlemania.

Bret was a goddamn artist. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Sid might actually have been a guy who would have been better off in a territory. Could move from place to place to stay fresh. Wouldn't be as conspicuous when he kept leaving to play rec league sports. 

Also Sid probably could have had a babyface run at a national level if not for the fact that he's Sid.

essentially everyone is better off in the old territory system - the giants of the ring especially. Big man acts get stale real quick, and once they drop a match they lose their luster. That's when they need to bounce to a new territory for awhile.

Sid was always great for a huge pop whenever he would randomly pop up. Then after a few months his act would get tired and he'd be back down the midcard. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

essentially everyone is better off in the old territory system

aside from whatever people that old school fans insist would have been run out of the business quickly by the gatekeepers.

Of course, Sid living next door to a territory probably would have always had an option to homestead while also doing short stints and special appearances in other areas.

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

love how a huge portion of the crowd is cheering Sid like he's 1985 Hulk Hogan while there's one female fan in the background shot of the pinfall who slinks down in despair after Sid wins the match.

against 1996 HBK, I cheered everyone like 1985 Hulk Hogan

• Like 3

I’m really sad that Sid in ECW didn’t last longer, but I guess if Heyman can barely afford people like Chris Chetti then he definitely couldn’t afford to pay Sid to no-show so he could play softball instead.

Sid and Scott Hall in ECW are my two biggest “would love to have seen a longer run in _____”. 

• Like 4