DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Can we just gift Florida back to Spain? Or better yet, the Seminoles, Creeks, Apalachees, and other fine folks who lived there before it became America's dick?

33 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Can we just gift Florida back to Spain? Or better yet, the Seminoles, Creeks, Apalachees, and other fine folks who lived there before it became America's dick?

That would be maybe the most American thing ever. Completely ruin their land, not to mention the world with rising sea levels, and then say, "you know what, we're going to give this back to you. Oh, what? That floating disc up in space? Oh, we call that Elysium. That's where we're going. It's really shitty. Trust us!"

I mean, it's not like we haven't done that before ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tromatagon said:

McDevitt released a statement calling allegations "phony"

Honestly, an equal problem of this in addition is that, even though the original lawsuit gave enough information that if you put 2 and 2 2 together made it 100% crystal clear who the whistleblower is, it can't also be used for the statement legally even if it'd help their claim against the allegations.

The lawsuit said flat-out that the whistleblower was "a wrestler who was one of the 20 people who was allowed to go back to the US", and "wrestled for WWE from 2012 until his release in April"- and comparing all the information given makes it 100% obvious TAFKA Scott Dawson was the person in question (even beyond the "he was on the SD afterwards, Dawson was the only release in April hired in 2012.) If that's so, they could have played the "the whistleblower works for AEW and is doing it to hurt a competitor" card- and whether or not it's true, it'd probably weaken the case more.

Edited by SorceressKnight

Survivor Series 96 note: that curly blond mustache on Stalker-era Barry Windham had a real "he jacks off while watching you" aesthetic to it.

Also, probably not a good sign for 96 Windham if he has to wear a shirt to the ring and it's a generic WWF logo shirt.

Between Stalker and the Executioner.. a great show for people who forgot some of these cups of coffee gimmicks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Man, Survivor Series 96 was my peak fandom. Even as a 10 year old mark, I knew Bret/Austin was a fucking good match, I loved the story and the finish there, but at the same time, I do not recall a match I got more emotionally invested in and actively cheering/reacting to than Sid/Shawn. 

We wouldn't have COVID if people caught on to the Bodyglove elbow pads and fistbumping one another like that. Fact.

• Like 2

I imagine everyone is being tongue-in-cheek, but Dexamethasone is an anti inflammatory—not anabolic—steroid. There’s rodent evidence it actually decreases testosterone levels.

Edited by Beech27

Has a PPV achieved more in terms of getting as many things over at once as Survivor Series 89 did?

- Opening match, you set up Bad News getting a massive pop for walking out on his team again. Boss Man comes off as a huge monster heel, holding his own in a 3 on 1 situation, before falling to Dusty Rhodes, before beating down him and Beefcake after the match. Beefcake getting two wins against Martel and Honky to build him up for the tag cage match with Zeus.

- Kings Court vs The 4x4s is almost a prototype for the Rhodes vs Dibiase teams match at Survivor Series a year later with Savage instead of Dibiase, Earthquake instead of Taker and Duggan instead of Dusty. Earthquake just fucks everyone up. Tag guy Bret hangs with the top heel in the company in Savage. Duggan again tries to overcome the odds of 3 on 1 and goes down without ever being pinned, and then....yeah the same finish before of him getting his heat back with the 2x4 after the match.

- Hogan's team vs Dibiase's team - weird one with the Powers of Pain getting 2 consecutive pinfalls on the champs. Demolition, only for Demolition to drop the straps to Andre/Haku a month later instead. Zeus looks unbeatable here before getting DQ'd. DiBiase gets a shitty looking pinfall on Jake, and then looks good in going down to Hulk cleanly.

- Rude's Brood vs Rowdy's Roddies - Perfect and Rude come back from 4-2 down to fuck everyone up here. Rude gets established as a big deal with his feud with Roddy. Perfect remains undefeated and gets 3 pins. Snuka continues to be portrayed as a major deal on his return here after a strong showing against Dibiase at Summerslam.

- Warrior gets the rub of closing the show for the first time. Runs through Andre. Haku gets a big run through the Rockers/Anvil. Arn gets a strong showing for a guy that's out the door too. 

All in all, maybe 16 guys look better off than before the show started. That's a pretty good outcome, and I can't think of a show that did better?

Now that was a classic match. Hadn't seen it in forever.  Starts out as a great technical mat wrestling contest and turns into a tremendous brawl prior to the submission/reversals.  

Couple things you notice:  Vince McMahon and JR are both great on commentary.  Calling the match and pointing out each man's strategy. They never veered into nonsense. 

Also,  JR puts over how both men have never submitted and then they trade submissions later on.  He also says this rivalry is far from over.  All this foreshadowing their later Submission Match classic at WM XIII. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Survivor Series 96 note: that curly blond mustache on Stalker-era Barry Windham had a real "he jacks off while watching you" aesthetic to it.

Also, probably not a good sign for 96 Windham if he has to wear a shirt to the ring and it's a generic WWF logo shirt.

Between Stalker and the Executioner.. a great show for people who forgot some of these cups of coffee gimmicks.

Alot of that run was blurry to me at times, even as a kid I'd see him show up on TV and I'd think to myself "He's still around"? His WCW run after this was way more memorable. That Stalker gimmick should've been a heel run if not they should've paired him against Austin when he came in. Especially considering their WCW past and JR was office

31 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

I imagine everyone is being tongue-in-cheek, but Dexamethasone is an anti inflammatory—not anabolic—steroid. There’s rodent evidence it actually decreases testosterone levels.

too late, Vince already ordered some old school East German stuff as a way to stop covid

23 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Also, wonder if they'll just quietly cut out the Snuka match even if they have a 4 hour slot for the show.

holy lord... they gave fake Razor pyro..  I guess they didn't want to job Vader in the Rocky match so they put him in this clusterfuck cool-down match instead.

5 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

holy lord... they gave fake Razor pyro..  I guess they didn't want to job Vader in the Rocky match so they put him in this clusterfuck cool-down match instead.

They could have had Rocky/Mero/Jake/Savio vs Goldust/Helmsley/Lawler/Vader in one match and then had the land of misfit toys match between Stalker/Flash Funk/700lb Yokozuna/70 year old Snuka vs Farrooq/Crush/Fake Diesel/Fake Razor.

I can see why they wouldn't have Rocky and Flash Funk debuting in the same match. Or bump the fakes into the Free for All match.

It's possible fake Razor Ramon is the worst gimmick to ever get pyro?

The funniest thing about fake Razor and Diesel is that Kevin Nash claims WCW didn't even know if it was a work or a shoot before those debuts, and The Outsiders both managed to run with that and end up getting paid several hundred thousand dollars more each on their contracts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

also Scott Hall gave Bogner some of his actual Razor gear IIRC. Jacobs as Diesel just didn't work. Bogner as Razor at least had a "ask a shitty artist to draw Razor Ramon" aspect to it. I think part of the whole thing was essentially about the lawsuit over Hall/Nash using their WWF mannerisms in WCW.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Has a PPV achieved more in terms of getting as many things over at once as Survivor Series 89 did?

- Opening match, you set up Bad News getting a massive pop for walking out on his team again. Boss Man comes off as a huge monster heel, holding his own in a 3 on 1 situation, before falling to Dusty Rhodes, before beating down him and Beefcake after the match. Beefcake getting two wins against Martel and Honky to build him up for the tag cage match with Zeus.

- Kings Court vs The 4x4s is almost a prototype for the Rhodes vs Dibiase teams match at Survivor Series a year later with Savage instead of Dibiase, Earthquake instead of Taker and Duggan instead of Dusty. Earthquake just fucks everyone up. Tag guy Bret hangs with the top heel in the company in Savage. Duggan again tries to overcome the odds of 3 on 1 and goes down without ever being pinned, and then....yeah the same finish before of him getting his heat back with the 2x4 after the match.

- Hogan's team vs Dibiase's team - weird one with the Powers of Pain getting 2 consecutive pinfalls on the champs. Demolition, only for Demolition to drop the straps to Andre/Haku a month later instead. Zeus looks unbeatable here before getting DQ'd. DiBiase gets a shitty looking pinfall on Jake, and then looks good in going down to Hulk cleanly.

- Rude's Brood vs Rowdy's Roddies - Perfect and Rude come back from 4-2 down to fuck everyone up here. Rude gets established as a big deal with his feud with Roddy. Perfect remains undefeated and gets 3 pins. Snuka continues to be portrayed as a major deal on his return here after a strong showing against Dibiase at Summerslam.

- Warrior gets the rub of closing the show for the first time. Runs through Andre. Haku gets a big run through the Rockers/Anvil. Arn gets a strong showing for a guy that's out the door too. 

All in all, maybe 16 guys look better off than before the show started. That's a pretty good outcome, and I can't think of a show that did better?

Survivor Series 89 was a WEIRD show...

Hogan and Jake Roberts were suddenly BFFs for no particular reason even though Hogan and Beefcake had been teaming for months prior (and reformed as soon as the show ended.) 

The Powers of Pain pin Demolition.  Which leads to nothing.  And the team splits up months later.

Piper and Snuka were on a team and WWF was notorious for pretending the past never happened but even with this they had to acknowledge their feud five years prior.

And Warrior ends the show main eventing against a guy who loses immediately because he can't go more than sixty seconds and a manager replacing someone else (Tully) who had been fired.

And it was the first 4 on 4 show, so there was already on odd vibe going.  5 on 5 was the standard.

I'd argue Bret Hart got more over losing at Survivor Series 90 than all of your examples combined though.  

• Like 2

Sid might actually have been a guy who would have been better off in a territory. Could move from place to place to stay fresh. Wouldn't be as conspicuous when he kept leaving to play rec league sports. 

Also Sid probably could have had a babyface run at a national level if not for the fact that he's Sid.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

I'd argue Bret Hart got more over losing at Survivor Series 90 than all of your examples combined though.  

In hindsight, it's a strange call that they didn't have him go over here. DiBiase didn't need the rub. They knew they wanted to go all the way with Bret, they already had him do the so close but so far ending with Savage the year prior.