DVDVR Message Board

SDL is M.A.D.D. About You - 5/29/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Guest Edwin

Does SmackDown have the best roster in the world at the moment? Bryan, Gulak, Sami, Cesaro, Nakamura, Styles, Sheamus, Jeff, Morrison, Metalik, Gable and now Riddle.

5 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Does SmackDown have the best roster in the world at the moment? Bryan, Gulak, Sami, Cesaro, Nakamura, Styles, Sheamus, Jeff, Morrison, Metalik, Gable and now Riddle.

Also keep in mind Ali is sitting around doing not much until they decide he is. But yeah, average talent is super high... even if WWE Nakamura pretty much sucks.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin
1 minute ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Also keep in mind Ali is sitting around doing not much until they decide he is. But yeah, average talent is super high... even if WWE Nakamura pretty much sucks.

Nakamura got lazy after the Sami TakeOver classic, but I will say he's sorta stepped up since joining Cesaro and Sami Zayn. His match with AJ last week was good.

Bryan vs. Sheamus was a banger tonight as well. Bryan's elbows from the semi crucifix were fantastic. Bryan's solid 2020 run continues and I am really looking forward to the match with Styles in the tournament final as it should be great.

They finally used Jey Uso! I'd like to see him get some more run as a singles act if Jimmy is going to be out for a while. 

Seeing the NXT semi-regulars in the crowd really lets you know they have an excess of talent and should probably get some of them called up to clear space. Hell have Jess and Marina been on TV in the last 9 months? And they're not even that great. The dress code is ridiculous though, just have them dress in their Tapout or WWE warmups and go full young lion.

Have Bryan and Hardy worked each other before? That might be a fun one to see eventually. 

Nikki Cross making Cole break will always be funny.

No one has discussed the spot-on Fast Times At Ridgemont High parody of with Otis and Mandy?!

I feel like I don’t even know you guys anymore...

i thought this was a great show.  All matches were solid to really good.  Tons of great character work. 

I thought the opening angle was great WWE drama with the serious tone mixed with WWE silliness (Jason Jordan picking up and carrying Elias’ guitar as if that was the most important thing he could think of to do and Jamie Noble being the pointman for dealing with the police). I thought they might have dragged the story out s little longer that Sheamus had framed Jeff but I guess they figured they better hotshot it before people say they’re mocking Jeff’s real life issues.  I hope this leads to some sort of cinematic match: like a prison brawl or something.  

Nikki Cross is so much fun on commentary.  

Sonya-Ms American Right (I can’t remember her name!!) was really fun albeit short. 

Ad mentioned, the Otis segment killed me.  When Mandy started to dream I thought “This is playing like Fast Times...Oh My God!”  Mandy’s “Oh Yeah!” made me laugh too.  

I really loved this show.  But I wish Shorty G would join up with DBry’s crew and go back to using a real name.  

God bless Mandy and Otis for going full ham with this. It was a great ying to the weirdness of the Jeff Hardy angle. They could have just did the old someone took him out backstage thing. But instead they opt for this. I can't help but think they did it just as a small shot on Matt Hardy. Vince is the type to treat someone like shit just because someone left him like that.  

Gable vs. Cesaro and by extention Nakamura could be an amazing feud. It's a shame Jason Jordan can't wrestle because American Alpha vs. those two would be amazing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ramo2653 said:

Have Bryan and Hardy worked each other before? That might be a fun one to see eventually. 

Yes on SDL in singles shortly after Bryan returned in 2018 when he started using the Heel Hook as a finish.

Edited by The Natural

The opening with Jeff was just weird. I prefer WWE stay away from serious shit where police make sense. Otherwise it boggles the mind how the fuck whoever framed Jeff isn't going to be arrested for attempted murder on Elias among other things.

The battle royal was decent and it was nice seeing Jey actually get used solo for once.

Sonya/Lacey was a fun little match and I hope there will be more between the two in the coming weeks. Maybe another fight pit? Or would that be too soon?

The Moment of Bliss segment was actually decent. Dug how it led to Sasha/Alexa which itself was a pretty nice match. Loved Bayley and Nikki on commentary. I jut love how Graves at one point simply gave up and laid his head on the table. Also loved Nikki Cross, defender of Michael Cole.

Was nice seeing Gable back on tv and actually winning a match.

Bryan/Sheamus was nice as expected.

Good show all overall.

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

Nakamura got lazy after the Sami TakeOver classic, but I will say he's sorta stepped up since joining Cesaro and Sami Zayn. His match with AJ last week was good.

Nakamura has been mostly on cruise control since jumping to the main roster, but he still puts out solid performances, especially against certain types who I assume he likes. I just wouldn't expect him to go all out unless he is booked for something big.

• Like 3

Otis/Mandy was an A+ segment. Fantastically written and well-acted by both.

Jessamyn Duke doing the "Yes!" chants was just.. weird.

On the other hand, there was a shot of Kacy in the crowd booing someone with a thumbs-down and it was just adorable.

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

I missed this, nice of Sasha to do this

Kofi and Big E were wearing SHAD armbands as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

To briefly return to the discussion, I agree the SDL roster is maybe the most stacked roster going today and maybe comparable to all time. 3 of my top 5 current wrestlers I love watching are on it (Bryan, Cesaro, Styles, the other two are Hangman Page and Asuka) as well as great characters like Otis, Mandy, Sonya, New Day, and Sasha and Bayley, and key back up players like Nakamura and Gulak (theoretically?). In fact, the only wrestlers I'm not that interested in are Lacey Evans and Braun Strowman and even they aren't that offensive these days. I'm not as invested in watching as much as AEW or NXT but it's good stuff.

Also, Sheamus/Bryan was rad. Those guys pounded each other (Daniel threw a random elbow that had such a sick thud) and they know how to get the most out of each other by now. Great trash talk by Sheamus too. I tuned in to see Hardy/Bryan though, I hope we get to see that at some point.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Godfrey said:

To briefly return to the discussion, I agree the SDL roster is maybe the most stacked roster going today and maybe comparable to all time. 3 of my top 5 current wrestlers I love watching are on it (Bryan, Cesaro, Styles, the other two are Hangman Page and Asuka) as well as great characters like Otis, Mandy, Sonya, New Day, and Sasha and Bayley, and key back up players like Nakamura and Gulak (theoretically?). In fact, the only wrestlers I'm not that interested in are Lacey Evans and Braun Strowman and even they aren't that offensive these days. I'm not as invested in watching as much as AEW or NXT but it's good stuff.

Also, Sheamus/Bryan was rad. Those guys pounded each other (Daniel threw a random elbow that had such a sick thud) and they know how to get the most out of each other by now. Great trash talk by Sheamus too. I tuned in to see Hardy/Bryan though, I hope we get to see that at some point.

Bryan/Sheamus have great chemistry. The 2 out of 3 falls match between the two at Extreme Rules 2012 needs talking up more. I believe Bryan said was overshadowed by the John Cena/Brock Lesnar Extreme Rules match and the GOAT's right. Great PPV that, Cena/Lesnar was so wild with Lesnar beating the fuck out of Cena till Cena came back to win the match.

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Bryan/Sheamus have great chemistry. The 2 out of 3 falls match between the two at Extreme Rules 2012 needs talking up more. I believe Bryan said was overshadowed by the John Cena/Brock Lesnar Extreme Rules match and the GOAT's right. Great PPV that, Cena/Lesnar was so wild with Lesnar beating the fuck out of Cena till Cena came back to win the match.

Good shout out, I think I’ll give that a rewatch. At some point someone will put together the Daniel Bryan Great Matches Mega Compilation and I hope Sheamus will be prominently featured.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Wow, its been so long I forgot they were on the same show. He is right. I definitely think about Cena/Lesnar more despite thinking both matches were great.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Good shout out, I think I’ll give that a rewatch. At some point someone will put together the Daniel Bryan Great Matches Mega Compilation and I hope Sheamus will be prominently featured.

11 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Wow, its been so long I forgot they were on the same show. He is right. I definitely think about Cena/Lesnar more despite thinking both matches were great.

Cheers guys. On a whim, I ordered Extreme Rules 2012 as it went out live and it was worth it from beginning to end and no sleep. 2 out of 3 Falls is one of my favourite match stipulations, Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan did it justice.

Godfrey: Till then, Daniel Bryan Just Say Yes! Yes! Yes! is a must buy. The DVD has the expanded Road to WrestleMania XXX documentary, Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus from Extreme Rules 2012, the best Bryan/Cesaro match ever as part of the Gauntlet on RAW in July 2013, the classic John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan match from SummerSlam 2013, Bryan vs. Orton vs. Batista from WrestleMania XXX and Daniel Bryan vs. Roman Reigns from 2015's Fastlane.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 4:49 PM, Godfrey said:

Honestly,  WWE television has gotten a lot better in the past few weeks.  I'm liking Smackdown a lot and there's some good stuff going on with RAW now finally..   I think the Backlash card looks ehhh but SummerSlam could have a nice build from here. 

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Honestly,  WWE television has gotten a lot better in the past few weeks.  I'm liking Smackdown a lot and there's some good stuff going on with RAW now finally..   I think the Backlash card looks ehhh but SummerSlam could have a nice build from here. 

I wonder what we get at SummerSlam?

Drew v Jinder?
Sasha v Bayley?
Fiend v Strowman?
Asuka v Shayna?