DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 5/27/2020

Dolfan in NYC

The triple threat was solid enough, actually made me think Drake was going to lose for a sec. Still wondering if Drake has been rehired yet. I assume he loses next week after its revealed that Fantasma is secretly evil.

Lee and Mia mocking the Gargano dinners was good fun. I loved Lee's reaction to the whole thing as it went down.

Shotzi/Raquel was pretty damn good. The two have tons of chemistry. Only thing against it was that scary dive Shotzi took. That was moronic and lucky on her part.

Rhea/Io vs. Charlotte/Chelsea was solid. Thought Chelsea was a nice choice as Charlotte's partner character wise. I was worried about her wrestling wise, but this worked out well. I liked that Green was sort out of her league in the first half or so with her figuring things out and adapting as the match went on. Was also nice to see Charlotte properly cheat to win. Feels like is been a while since that happened. 

The Fight Pit was fucking awesome. Riddle and Thatcher beat the shit out of each other while doing some neat spots with the cage setup. Hope this isn't the last we see of this match style. Poor Thatcher though losing two of his teeth like that.

Crowd wasn't perfect, but it felt like they were much more engaged than the lazy effort delivered on Raw. Kind of curious if the talent are being directed or are they acting out semi-legit to what they enjoy.

4 hours ago, nofuture said:

Looks like the Brand is dead.

This feels like a mistake and step backward after everything that happened tonight. I don't really buy Green as ready to be on her own yet. Hopefully the Brand stays live via Aliyah and maybe a returning Vanessa Bourne.

Edited by Eivion

Chelsea might not be going on her own as they could be attaching her to Charlotte as the upgraded version of that gimmick they did with Dana Brooke a few years ago (especially since in theory, Charlotte would need someone to continue working against Bayley/Sasha)

18 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I haven't seen any NXT in a long time but I gave Thatcher vs Riddle a shot. I got to the point where Mauro called teeth "chiclets" and then was done. 

He is Canadian after all.

Glad there's some crowd noise again, I feel like I can actually watch the show now.

Big ups to Chelsea Green getting some momentum, she may be the only wrestler out of my hometown of Victoria, BC to get on a big stage so I'll always be in her corner. I thought she held her own in that tag too. The Shotzi/Raquel match was rad too.

I was into Riddle/Thatcher a lot. It was something new and the teeth spot was fun. So glad Thatcher is getting a chance to shine and I'm really curious to see what he can do from here.

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

I haven't seen any NXT in a long time but I gave Thatcher vs Riddle a shot. I got to the point where Mauro called teeth "chiclets" and then was done. 

I tend to tune Mauro out whenever I watch. Its not even something I do actively. I just somehow miss a good 50-70% of what he is saying often. I did catch him mentioned Hana Kimura and wrongs of cyberbullying so that was nice.

So, was the tooth spot a work and he just took the false teeth he's had for ages out, or is their going to be heat on Riddle for hurting the guy legit?

• Like 1

Watched the whole thing and it was alright. Not even on the level of a Bloodsport match because they had to use the gimmick, but they used it well. I don't see why Riddle had to use the fruity embellishment instead of just a straight senton from the top; it wouldn't surprise me if he's a big Van Dam fan so decided to add the moonsault twist. The most irritating thing was fucking Ranallo not letting Beth even finish a sentence. She kept trying to contribute and he'd cut her off Every. Single. Time. 

The women's tag was alright too; I skipped over everything else. Catching Io Shirai on a dive must be like somebody tossing a large dachshund at you.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 1

I forgot to say this yesterday but I think that cage didn't quite... complement a couple guys theoretically working a Bloodsport-esque match, but looks like it could be a very useful "blowoff match" structure and I hope it gets a few more appearances.

• Like 2

That N64/PS1 crowd... surprisingly worked.

F'N fantastic storytelling with the tourney, seriously freakin fantastic.

Leon Ruff sells like a videogame rag doll, love it!

The Fight Pit is freakin great! I would love for it to be used again.

Great match between Timothy Thatcher and Matt Riddle in the Fight Pit. This really appealed to me, the physicality, the counters, the ring styles of both and use of the Fight Pit steel cage. Like to see this style again but you need people adapt at it. Daniel Bryan would be one.

10 hours ago, username said:

I forgot to say this yesterday but I think that cage didn't quite... complement a couple guys theoretically working a Bloodsport-esque match, but looks like it could be a very useful "blowoff match" structure and I hope it gets a few more appearances.

The scaffold works for the Fight Pit match but I would love to see cage matches use this setup going forward.  The look of it with no ropes or turnbuckle just looks aesthetically pleasing to me and having it without escape-the-cage rules would be quite swell.

Btw didn’t see anyone mention it but the spot of the night was Riddle picking up one of Thatcher’s teeth and whipping it at him while the doctor was checking him out. Even the announcers didn’t catch it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, The Natural said:

Great match between Timothy Thatcher and Matt Riddle in the Fight Pit. This really appealed to me, the physicality, the counters, the ring styles of both and use of the Fight Pit steel cage. Like to see this style again but you need people adapt at it. Daniel Bryan would be one.

Probably half the UK division would work well in it too.