DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/27/2020

As said already, awesome attention to detail with Hardy helping Quen to the back.  I thought it was a legit injury.  Nice job all around.

Not digging casual Butcher and Blade.  They look like ice cream men.

JR lost points for calling Christi Jyanes "a handsome woman."  Do male commentators of other women's sports ever remark on the athletes' appearance like that?  Still better than harping on Statlander's size or how much of a lucky man Kip Sabian is, so I guess he's ahead.  But then agian, did he really say some uncomfortable things about Sonny kiss?  I missed that.

I loved Hager's poem and transformation into Liam Neesons.

Cody is a Patriots fan.  EVERYTHING MAKES SENSE NOW.

Really looking forward to FTR/Bucks.

Camera lingered too long after Taz' promo as Mox made faces like he was stifling a shart.  Mox really needs to work on his "I'm crazy" faces.  They're goofy and, again, Dark Knight was 12 years ago.

Ortiz is a fucking treasure

I FFWD'D most of SCU/Brits.

Britt Baker was awesome.  "She was somewhere!"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Godfrey said:

It would be funny if after all the build up to Cody winning the title and that promo he cut about defending it every week that Jungle Boy upsets him on his first defense. I agree, some of these future defenses may seem like foregone conclusions but it's on Cody to make them believable and I think he can do it.

I thought about that too. I do think there's an outside chance Vance Archer either costs him the title or gets the match thrown out from interference.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

JR lost points for calling Christi Jyanes "a handsome woman."  Do male commentators of other women's sports ever remark on the athletes' appearance like that?  Still better than harping on Statlander's size or how much of a lucky man Kip Sabian is, so I guess he's ahead.  

In Women's Tennis it does happen but the Muta Scale for it is still Brent Musburger lusting after Bama QB's Girlfriend Katherine Webb in the BCS title game. At least Webb was able to make some $ for it on reality shows. 

• Like 1

Just now, Casey said:

Didn't some football commentator go absolutely apeshit for Jenn Sterger when she was shown on camera (pre-Brett Farve stuff)?

Wasn't there 3 girls? I can't remember their collective name... and was that a rumor that Lana was also involved with them?

Yeah I heard Lana was with Sterger when that happened, not sure how true it is though. From what I read it made it seem like Sterger's appearance was singled out by the commentator.

Lana being one of the FSU Cowgirls has long been known. IIRC, you can find her in pictures with Sterger. 

It would be interesting if Lana and Miro both eventually ended up in AEW if Sterger is still an interviewer there.

I really enjoyed the end to the battle royal. It shouldn't happen right away, maybe even a few years but a Jungle Boy/Orange cassidy match/feud is going to be good I think.

Rebel adds a lot to the Britt Baker act. Britt is the best act in AEW by far. Hate to see her injured but it might actually add to the character.

Final segment was pretty rough. Tyson was corpsing pretty badly. Especially when he couldn't rip his shirt off. I hope the people that had a fit about the NXT guys running in on Raw are equally as outraged at the AEW guys doing it. I get they test everyone and all but good lord they basically spit in the face of social distrancing every week more and more.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Didn't some football commentator go absolutely apeshit for Jenn Sterger when she was shown on camera (pre-Brett Farve stuff)?

That was Musberger, also.

"“Fifteen-hundred red-blooded Americans just decided to apply to Florida State."

For reference, only: (Probably SFW but spoilering anyways)

Spoiler

5643787058-8e3efc9d57-n.jpg

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Do male commentators of other women's sports ever remark on the athletes' appearance like that? 

Don Cherry used to do it all the time during NHL hockey but it was along the lines of "Here's Mitch Marner coming into the rink tonight.  Nice suit.  Pretty good looking guy!" At no point, though, was there any semblance of attraction or lust in his voice, much the way there is when male commentators comment on females

• Like 1

Maybe I was in bad form watching, but the FTR debut didn't do much for me. Could also be because ik not as aware of their NXT work. The truck was daft, they seemed uncomfortable in their movement (could be down to wearing street shoes though) and the turn on butcher and blade was far too obvious. Hopefully I'll see more of what has everyone else excited next time. 

Dug the battle Royal even if it had the usual battle royal issues. Some nice side story stuff like Colt with Dark Order as nd the continuing Avalon-Cutler lose-off. Glad to see jungle boy get an opportunity, there's money in him. Those elbows from OC were nice! 

The two tag matches were kinda just there. Liked having the Hardy costume changes pre-match, private party and Janela worked well together. SCU as a team don't do much for me, and Sabian needs a more defined character. 

What was the deal with the Hangman-Kenny CCTV footage? Weird use of them both. 

Loved the pep rally, the daft gifts, Ortiz and the ear muffs, Swagger the poet/Neeson. Not sure about the Tyson stuff. Not a UFC fan so no clue who the lads with him were and if they are legit dudes it wasn't sold enough. I did love Jericho's "KHAAAAAAAN" style shouting of "TYSOOOOON" at the end. Cody as a Trek fan must have enjoyed it too. 

Sounds like I'm down on the show but I mostly enjoyed, just a few nit-picky things that didn't work for me but YMMV. 

• Like 1

I think now that they've gone this far with Mike Tyson, you have to deliver on some sort of match between him and Chris Jericho. It doesn't even have to be a singles match. Make it a tag team match or some such, but there has to be some sort of match somewhere now. 

Apologies in advance for responding to a few quotes, but here we go:

13 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Not digging casual Butcher and Blade.  They look like ice cream men.

JR lost points for calling Christi Jyanes "a handsome woman."  Do male commentators of other women's sports ever remark on the athletes' appearance like that?  Still better than harping on Statlander's size or how much of a lucky man Kip Sabian is, so I guess he's ahead.  But then agian, did he really say some uncomfortable things about Sonny kiss?  I missed that.

In my mind I'm seeing it as Butcher and Blade held onto the money MJF gave them and saved up for a wonderful Florida vacation.  So they'll be in this getup for awhile and once it's time to wrestle they'll be as they were.  Might not be what's really going on but that's just me trying to connect the dots.  As for JR's comments it was a bit uncomfortable though if Sonny did say it's find per the interview mentioned here then I guess that's fine.  It is a bit concerning though if people don't know that and just think that JR is out of his mind.

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

To steal from Desus and Mero, those Timbs came from underneath the folding table on the street corner with the bootleg DVDs on top of it ?

I really miss that show.  I used to watch it on Showtime but since cutting the cord I can't justify paying extra for Showtime right now.  Especially since I just got HBO Max.  And I could also go for a chopped cheese right about now.

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

It would be interesting if Lana and Miro both eventually ended up in AEW if Sterger is still an interviewer there.

She does a top 5 video on AEW's Youtube page.  So she's still around though I really wish she was doing more.  Not sure if it's related the pandemic though or something else.

8 hours ago, caley said:

Don Cherry used to do it all the time during NHL hockey but it was along the lines of "Here's Mitch Marner coming into the rink tonight.  Nice suit.  Pretty good looking guy!" At no point, though, was there any semblance of attraction or lust in his voice, much the way there is when male commentators comment on females

I don't know anything about Don Cherry but if that works for him then great.  I take issue with JR doing it because he's a creep on Twitter.  If Excalibur said something like that in a nice way then I think people would be a tad more forgiving.  Or maybe just not say it at all.  Besides, I don't need JR or anybody telling me how lucky Kip is when I can very much see that for myself.  And I don't recall if he said anything about Shida's opponent but just in case I very much saw that too.

Regarding Sonny Kiss, it wasn't just JR who referred to Sonny as she or her. Excalibur and Tony did as well. Some of you can stop dogpiling on JR so much. Maybe you're just that sensitive to anything he says and you scrutinize what he's saying more than anyone else, but I do think it's leading you to maybe go overboard on his comments, make too many inferences on them, and project your own feelings onto what he's saying. 

• Like 1

Just now, Craig H said:

Regarding Sonny Kiss, it wasn't just JR who referred to Sonny as she or her. Excalibur and Tony did as well. Some of you can stop dogpiling on JR so much. Maybe you're just that sensitive to anything he says and you scrutinize what he's saying more than anyone else, but I do think it's leading you to maybe go overboard on his comments, make too many inferences on them, and project your own feelings onto what he's saying. 

Not sure if I'm part of this but just in case I'll admit to at first being in that group as it was kind of strange at the time.  But I changed my tune after finding out that's actually fine. 

As for JR I don't believe I've been piling on him so I don't know how much this applies to me.  But considering what he's been through I still like him and he still brings something special to commentary.  I still don't care for comments about Penelope though at this point I'm going to stop bringing that up.

46 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Not sure if I'm part of this but just in case I'll admit to at first being in that group as it was kind of strange at the time.  But I changed my tune after finding out that's actually fine. 

As for JR I don't believe I've been piling on him so I don't know how much this applies to me.  But considering what he's been through I still like him and he still brings something special to commentary.  I still don't care for comments about Penelope though at this point I'm going to stop bringing that up.

No, you weren't who I was thinking of. 

• Thanks 1

...The Bunny is back too if that graphic isn’t a mistake. Okay maybe this is pure speculation, but I have this feeling that they will pull a 60’s Batman by making it seem that no one knows what the Bunny looks like without a mask, like Batman doesn’t know what Catwoman looked like without a mask. 

• Haha 3

I'm more puzzled by whatever the hell is going on between Allie and QT and QT seemingly more enamored with Allie than Cody's promo. Then later on there's that video someone recorded of the two of them. To my eyes it looks like a more than just friends thing and I had to look to see if Allie and Braxton were still married. Apparently they still are, but Allie's got this stuff on her Twitter of her taking a bite out of an apple, taking selfies with QT, and now I have no idea what's going on. I get marriages and all that don't work out and maybe that's not the case here, but it did make me feel a little uncomfortable.

Also, I thought QT was in his 40s or nearing 50. Dude is 34. How 'bout dat.