DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/27/2020

Christi Jaynes' offense is a good example of wrestlers trying to do flashy shit because that's what people on TV do. That sunset flip off the top into that kick was the drizzling. Until you can do it smoothly every time, don't do it.

• Like 1

- As soon as Hardy said lets go be spot monkeys I knew what we were in for so I just took a nap and thus missed the whole show. I'm sure if you like those go-go matches this was the best. Crowd seems about ten times louder tonight than the last couple weeks, btw. The Dark Order social distancing is proper and also what I think most of us wish they would do altogether.

- The Butcher looks like Buck Robley now. 

- Great, we're back to Chatty Taz now. Put him back behind the desk please. Speaking of chatty, JR is being all snarky tonight, joking about Wilbur Snyder, bringing up the WWE plexiglass. It's nice to hear him having a good time.

- Christy Jaynes seems to have a lot of charisma. I guess the gimmick is she's a Brazilian dancer? Nice little match. Shida's intro video still weirds me out with the mirror person. 

- Wardlow is already giving me serious Batista vibes (a good thing). Luther being the oldest guy in the match and taking the worst bump was nasty. And then Chris Daniels gets splattered by Marko? Ouch, not fair either. Finish was real good, loved that headscissors especially. Cody better have a nice long match with Jungle Jack. 

- I wouldn't have even recognized Vitor if you hadn't told me who he was. Bunchy Donovan/Zombie Morton Downey Jr. looked real stupid hahaha... Every time I see Mike now I have to wonder how high he is. He is just so goddamned goofy. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 1

I can see why they've kept Sonny Kiss off TV for so long, probably hoping to outwait JR's contract, who twice referred to Kiss as a woman (Despite Kiss saying he is male but identifies as gender neutral) then went into a weird tangent about Kiss and whichever wrestler was eliminated at the same time being a good couple, then introducing as if they were married.  When he said "she" the first time, you could hear the other announcers pause, wonder whether to correct him, assume it was a slip, only for him to say 'her' a minute later.  Then when he went on that weird post-elimination tangent, the other announcers just quickly moved on and left it hanging in the air.

FTR debut was good, Battle Royal was pretty weak.

I don't think Tazz using old ECW Taz catchphrases in announcer Tazz voice really adds much to the Cage package.  Like, when Taz used the "beat me if you can, survive if I let you", it sounded like a genuine warning from a genuine killer.  When he uses it now, it sounds like one of those WWE video games, non-threatening and out-of-place.

Really bummed Orange Cassidy didn't win that match.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The Butcher & the Blade losing Allie to QT Marshall, then getting beaten down by the Bucks and FTR makes me sad.

The idiot Pegulas announce biggest failure in hockey history Jason Botterill gets to keep his job.

B&TB get jobbed the fuck out.

This was sure one shitty day for the city of Buffalo.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Cody better have a nice long match with Jungle Jack. 

Aja Kong and Bison Kimura are going to wrestle Cody Rhodes? I thought AEW was avoiding intergender matches.

Goddamn JR has other people doing it now.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

is there a better cheerleader than Austin Gunn?

I'm really enjoying whatever it is that Matt Hardy is doing - he's having fun, and it's entertaining. He's clearly in a 3 Faces of Foley mode. 

Jaw dropped with the FTR... but man, I was really hoping they were elevating Butcher & Blade. I even liked the Panama Jack look they were sporting. 

*** I was hoping #FTR would do some barnstorming in ROH, Impact, and NWA before they hit AEW. 

I liked the last bit of the battle royal. Jungle Jack gets vengeance on MJF, planting the seeds for Wardlow/MJF TURMOIL, planting the seeds of OC/Jericho, OC gets some shine, Jack gets a big win to bounce back from a loss. Jack is going to be okay. He shouldn't be beating Cody yet. He'll come close and look good and learn. No 50/50 booking means people gotta lose and that's okay. Jack is 22 and getting better every month seemingly. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, caley said:

who twice referred to Kiss as a woman (Despite Kiss saying he is male but identifies as gender neutral)

When he said "she" the first time, you could hear the other announcers pause, wonder whether to correct him, assume it was a slip, only for him to say 'her' a minute later. 

He has said in an interview he doesn't mind she/her or he/him, but is anti- they/them, at least as it pertains to himself. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I liked the last bit of the battle royal. Jungle Jack gets vengeance on MJF, planting the seeds for Wardlow/MJF TURMOIL, planting the seeds of OC/Jericho, OC gets some shine, Jack gets a big win to bounce back from a loss. Jack is going to be okay. He shouldn't be beating Cody yet. He'll come close and look good and learn. No 50/50 booking means people gotta lose and that's okay. Jack is 22 and getting better every month seemingly. 

Yeah I could see them doing a draw or have it go close to a draw before Cody eeks out the pin, then he gives Jungle Boy a handshake and raises his hand afterwards. 

I'd like to see them have a match each week to determine Cody's next challenger. Would be a good way to add some meaning to a random singles match. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Yes, put Kenzie on the payroll.  She sells like a million bucks.

The way AEW is set up, having some young Lions/Lionesses might be really useful.  Use them as jobbers for 1-2 years, then send them out to another fed/country to get more versatility (if that's possible), then repackage them after a year learning.

Good way to get new stars on the cheap and pad records of your midcarders.

• Like 3

Apparently the reason FTR were wearing denim jackets and jeans was because it was a reference to Scott Hall showing up on Nitro the first time. Which also happened on May 27th.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Godfrey said:

I wonder how long they'll wait before doing the Bucks match,

I reckon it’ll be a slow burn: buddies based on mutual respect, Bucks win that first eventual meeting which begins FTR heel turn.
That’s what I’d do anyway: everyone’s been wanting/expecting the match for years so why not hold off a while longer 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Apparently the reason FTR were wearing denim jackets and jeans was because it was a reference to Scott Hall showing up on Nitro the first time. Which also happened on May 27th.

Wonder what the low rider was in reference to.

At first I thought it was Deuce & Domino making their way into the building.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Apparently, Cejudo was gonna sign with WWE before he went to UFC and he's been wanting to go to WWE. Maybe WWE is not that high on getting ex and active UFC fighters after the Cain thing.

And the Rousey thing.

• Like 1

Laughed out loud at Ortiz still being deaf from the bell.

Matt being able to jump through different gimmicks in a second it’s like having alternate outfits on No Mercy.

The Battle Royal was great after the commercial break. JR marking out for the big hosses (or are they studs?) and two loved babyfaces as the final two without any bullshit finish was awesome. Orange is so damn smooth when he decides to show it and that running rana was an excellent finisher.

That last segments had so many amazing lines:

“Get your earplugs ready”
“King of Dad Jokes”
“My abuela says that too”
“The end... I’m happy”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Best-friends.png

Best Friends did it better

• Like 7

i am not sure how AEW re-do the 1998 Austin vs Tyson only with Jericho and a bunch of MMA guys is "new and refreshing" when at the same time you have Riddle vs Thatcher in a cage beating the crap out of each other 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

i am not sure how AEW re-do the 1998 Austin vs Tyson only with Jericho and a bunch of MMA guys is "new and refreshing" when at the same time you have Riddle vs Thatcher in a cage beating the crap out of each other 

Sounds like a lamer Lion’s Den to me.

• Like 1