DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/27/2020

Crossing my fingers Britt’s announcement is positive news  tonight. Outside of that, and the pep rally it seems a less eventful show match wise all things considered. Which is the usually how AEW likes to book out of a PPV.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

So much for uneventful after shows.  I about lost my shit when the former Revival hit the ring.  It felt like a huge moment even without a hot audience.  Here's hoping that AEW uses them better than the WWE did.

I'm also happy that Jungle Boy went over in the Battle Royal.  Hopefully Cody doesn't kill him too dead next week.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm calling my shot right now, at Fyter Fest it'll be Jericho, Guevara and Hager versus Tyson, Belfort & Cejudo.

Musa was in that entourage too. They might want a wrestler in that match, but maybe he was just an extra. 

I got Reggie White WCW vibes from this. So I guess this was a success.

• Like 1

The Inner Circle thing was fucking hysterical. All the gifts, Hager's poem. Thought Mox was funny on commentary. It's too soon to turn Wardlow on MJF. Hopefully that's a slow burn. Nice FTR debut. Assuming Miro and TAFKA Zack Ryder are next. All in all, good "reset" show. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Mike Tyson wrestle on free TV? 

Unless it's going to be a Bash at the Beach type deal, I suspect Fyter Fest will still be like it was last year. Yeah, free, but it'll be on B/R Live. I can't see them extending this Tyson stuff until the end of August for All Out, either.

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm calling my shot right now, at Fyter Fest it'll be Jericho, Guevara and Hager versus Tyson, Belfort & Cejudo.

I'm surprised Meltzer didn't make a weird PED joke after Statlander booped Vitor at DoN. That one was right in his wheelhouse.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

Unless it's going to be a Bash at the Beach type deal, I suspect Fyter Fest will still be like it was last year. Yeah, free, but it'll be on B/R Live. I can't see them extending this Tyson stuff until the end of August for All Out, either.

I just don't see how they can get a return on the crazy amount of money they have to be paying him for anything more than a guest appearance like we saw at the ppv. And he's close to announcing his fight too, so it seems unlikely to be stretched out to Labour Day weekend. On the one hand, Tyson is hotter now than he has been since the '90s but I don't get the financial part of it unless it's building to a ppv match. 

Haven't even watched the show. Going to soon but I saw a pic of whatever or whomever the fuck that was accompanying Tyson in the face paint. Like whoa. Whut? 

Edited by Oyaji

Tyson and Jericho! Tyson and Jericho! Awesome closing brawl, that was a lot of fun after a hilarious Inner Circle segment. Loved the Bucks of Youth and various Matt Hardy characters bit in the beginning. Battle Royal was entertaining, figured Jungle Boy was winning but loved seeing Billy Gunn in there. Luchasaurus absolutely killing Dr. Luther was nuts. "THATS THE ORIGINAL DEATH DEALER!" Shida/Christi was a nice little 5 minute match. Great Cody promo, look forward to his TNT Open. Britt was great as well.  Good show

• Like 3

My main takeaway is that FTR looked more like stars than they ever did in the WWE, in just a few short minutes.  They came in, riding a badass truck, and made the save for the Bucks, and looked like a million bucks.  They look like superstars because of sensible booking and protection.  This felt like a big moment, even without a proper crowd.

The show was pretty damn good.  The pep rally was fun but I feel the Tyson thing was a little derivative of the 98 angle but a fight between Jericho and Tyson probably should have a pull-apart.  Hopefully, they'll get good publicity out of a potential match and Jericho will probably shine in it.

Britt's segment was incredible and it has opened my eyes to the "deep state" atmosphere going on in AEW.  Aubrey must be jealous of her success or something.  One thing I did notice is that Aubrey is friends with Tony Schiavone.  Makes you think if he is in on the plot to take our great Britt down.

Hager sounded great with his poem and it going off the rails.

I don't feel like going through everything but I really enjoyed the show, and if this is how they do post-PPV shows with no crowd, they'll be fine.  I'm no longer worried about guys like Rusev having to debut without a crowd.  He'll be fine.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

And are we really going to have the first FTR/Bucks match without a real crowd? That makes me so sad. 

Too soon for that.  If anything, FTR will probably work Butcher & Blade at Fyter Fest before any showdown with the Bucks of Youth happens.  FTR vs. Dark Order is the #1 tag team title contenders match I didn't know I desperately wanted to happen.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I don't really think AEW has much of an option when it comes to hosting these big/dream matches infront of no fans. Either they run like usual, or you shut it down/put off matches until crowds can return, and even then, who knows how long you'll be waiting.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, notoriusvig said:

Britt's segment was incredible and it has opened my eyes to the "deep state" atmosphere going on in AEW.  Aubrey must be jealous of her success or something.  One thing I did notice is that Aubrey is friends with Tony Schiavone.  Makes you think if he is in on the plot to take our great Britt down.

They are really going all in on Britt being Jericho with her being obsessed with conspiracies.