DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Crowd Control - 5/25/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Congrats to Apollo Crews on finally getting his first title in WWE.  Hoping this leads to bigger and better things for him. 

Also...

Congrats to Malcolm Bivens on making his Monday Night Raw debut.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

It's taken way too long but they are finally working out what to do with Lashley.

Hoping Apollo can have a nice long run as well. I'd love him to start up the US Open challenge and just work for 15-20 mins every RAW. Focus on what this guy can do in the ring while cycling through some of the PC talent in the building.

Sad to see Andrade lose the belt, but good for Apollo I guess.

Garza beating Owens was a nice surprise.

MVP with Lashley is easily the most interesting Lashley has been since his return in WWE. The pairing feels natural and works well.

The triple threat was fun. I loved Asuka on commentary cheering for Nattie while just wanting to see Nia get her ass beat in general.

The NXT/PC talent as the crowd was ok I guess.

I was gonna commend the WWE for doing what AEW should by having the people in the audience maintain proper distancing as best as possible (they at times got excited and got a bit closer to one another than ideal)... and then they had all the guys run in at the end for a big pull apart. Sigh.

Decent show. Not a whole lot to remark about except it's nice to see dudes like Crews, Garza, and others getting a chance to shine. When things return to normal I hope their efforts during this time aren't forgotten.

However, the fight between Lashley and Drew was unwatchable. So many quick camera cuts, cameras moving too much following every movement by the wrestlers, etc. Again, if the entire presentation and production of Raw changed, it would instantly become far more enjoyable than what it is now.

And while it's nice they have some crowd noise to go with the matches, it's far less fun or organic or silly. Like everything in WWE, it feels too glossy and fake. Not to mention that the addition of plexiglass around the ring like it's a hockey rink is fucking dumb unless at some point someone gets launched through one of those panes of glass.

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Garza is such a natural dirtbag,  I love it..  the cockiness, the jumpsuit,  the cheating...  bright future.  

While I like Andrade's ringwork more, I think Garza has the more complete package. He's got a hell of an upside, though botching can't-miss prospects is nothing new with the WWE.

• Like 1

Good for Apollo Crews, I guess, but him getting any sort of push, much less winning a belt, seems odd to me.

Is RAW that short on talent?

Nothing against Crews (I enjoyed his work on the indies), but putting a belt on him makes me wonder if Creative isn't mailing it in more than usual during these crowdless shows.

• Like 3

He’s actually had a decent storyline running that’s built up to this.  He was fed up with Gable’s silliness on Smackdown and seemed more serious, was traded to Raw where he had a good, long match with Black that proved he could still go, pulled off the upset to qualify for MITB, got injured by Andrade and lost his spot, came back and got revenge against Andrade. Simple, straightforward stuff.

• Like 1

Have people forgotten that the US title is nearly meaningless and has been since Cena had it? It's almost always the jobber belt. Nearly everyone who has held it either never defended it (lol paperwork) or lost repeatedly in non-title matches. People got excited when Samoa Joe won the US title and then they proceeded to do what they always did with Joe. If Crews starts successfully defending the title and doesn't lose in non-title matches or take the fall in tag matches then I'll change how I view him winning the title. Until then, it's exactly like the Revival said - Outside of the world title, titles are completely meaningless and a carrot Vince dangles in front of you like that will be the thing that makes you want to stay.

It's a good idea to have wrestlers in the audience to make noise. And because it's indoors, it seems like a good idea to have the barriers up to potentially avoid spread. But it felt like the barriers kind of muted the sound the wrestlers made. Their two good ideas might be working against each other.

I read a report that the people in the crowd weren't allowed to sit down for the duration of the tapings. I have no clue if that's true since I didn't watch the show, but if it is - that's laughable.

I mean... there were no chairs in the crowd so I don't know how they would.

I've also been to many wrestling shows and concerts where I was standing the whole time for a similar reason so I don't quite see the big deal?

We know there are chairs in that building. More than enough to seat that many spectators. It’s funny because we get to imagine what weird bug up his ass Vince had about the idea of them intermittently sitting.

To turn around what you said, I also don’t quite see the big deal. 

5 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

We know there are chairs in that building. More than enough to seat that many spectators. It’s funny because we get to imagine what weird bug up his ass Vince had about the idea of them intermittently sitting.

To turn around what you said, I also don’t quite see the big deal. 

spandex wrestling tights sliding on a padded leather seat sounds like a fart, which is basically as bad as a sneeze

• Haha 1