DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Poop Jokes - 5/22/2020

Peck

Braun continuing to feud with Miz and Morrison feels off. Never fond of handicap title matches. Not sure why they are delaying Braun vs. the Fiend though this seems likely to build back into it by the time it ends going off of Miz's comments

Charlotte/Bayley was pretty damn good. Dug that Bayley beat Charlotte on her own. Not sure why Charlotte was smiling about it If they were trying push her being impressed they maybe should have had her give Bayley a clap or something. Otherwise it just comes off weird.

Mixed tag was alright. I continue to enjoy Sonya i her current role.

Tournament matches were fine.

It was noted on the main month thread, but AJ Styles has been traded to SmackDown Live for "future considerations".  

I do love how they pretend they're a legit sports... thing.  I think Raw owes SmackDown something like 4 draft picks already.

• Peck changed the title to SDL is Poop Jokes - 5/22/2020

Fair is fair, I hated AEW this week but at least I watched it. I turned this on, saw the talking diaper spraying poop with fart sound effects and thought "There are better ways I can spend my Friday night" and didn't come back and I'm a guy who likes his poop jokes when they're funny.  This was just shitty.  Literally. 

21 minutes ago, caley said:

Fair is fair, I hated AEW this week but at least I watched it. I turned this on, saw the talking diaper spraying poop with fart sound effects and thought "There are better ways I can spend my Friday night" and didn't come back and I'm a guy who likes his poop jokes when they're funny.  This was just shitty.  Literally. 

You saw what was literally the worst part of the show. Everything else was generally decent.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eivion said:

You saw what was literally the worst part of the show. Everything else was generally decent.

And I figure dit would be, but it just felt like one of those nights you have to take a stand, haha.  It's like when you sit down to watch or read something and there's a part that's really lazy or offensive that just irks you and you know if you stick it out, it will get better, but you just feel like you're being taken advantage of or what have you.  Like Owen Hart said "Enough is enough and it's time for a change!"

And I'll be back watching Raw and SD, probably, next week...

3 hours ago, caley said:

And I figure dit would be, but it just felt like one of those nights you have to take a stand, haha.  It's like when you sit down to watch or read something and there's a part that's really lazy or offensive that just irks you and you know if you stick it out, it will get better, but you just feel like you're being taken advantage of or what have you.  Like Owen Hart said "Enough is enough and it's time for a change!"

And I'll be back watching Raw and SD, probably, next week...

Speaking of Owen, considering how the Dark Side of the Ring on him made a lot of people mad at Vince, might that translate into a further drop in the ratings for WWE shows? Because they'd managed to reduce their viewership to just the hardcore WWE fans already, but whilst some of those people are irrational Martha haters, some are reasonable people who really like that type of Wrestling, but have cognitive dissonance about what a twat Vince is.

I'm sure most of the people that watch WWE these days know the story and If they didn't stop watching before Dark Side, they won't now.

With AJ going to Smackdown, I'm guessing Baron will be headed to Raw. Seems like a fair enough trade I guess.

I really enjoyed the mixed tag. Best Mandy has looked in a while and even Ziggler was decent.

I imagine many fans are probably a lot like the board, where they either hate watching so they can complain about it or are temporarily bothered by s particular incident but eventualycome back. 

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Speaking of Owen, considering how the Dark Side of the Ring on him made a lot of people mad at Vince, might that translate into a further drop in the ratings for WWE shows? Because they'd managed to reduce their viewership to just the hardcore WWE fans already, but whilst some of those people are irrational Martha haters, some are reasonable people who really like that type of Wrestling, but have cognitive dissonance about what a twat Vince is.

Watching that documentary, there was a moment..several actually...when I thought 'I really don't have to watch WWE, it's not interesting wrestling, and I probably shouldn't'.

I am also sly aware that AEW very much want me to have that thought. These docs have been a big sly win for them.

Guest Edwin
4 hours ago, AxB said:

Speaking of Owen, considering how the Dark Side of the Ring on him made a lot of people mad at Vince, might that translate into a further drop in the ratings for WWE shows?

No. Most of the hardcore WWF fans don't even know what Dark Side of the Ring is.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I imagine many fans are probably a lot like the board, where they either hate watching so they can complain about it or are temporarily bothered by s particular incident but eventualycome back. 

I don't think people who watch (people like us) are giving Vince or Kevin Dunn a pass.  Yes,  we are supporting the company by continuing to watch but I don't think it's different than still watching the NFL or still buying Nike's,  a lot of corporations have horrible people in power..  It's easier said than done to just say we are going to boycott this one and this one but this one is okay. Vince is one of many. We all grew up watching WWE well before we knew Vince was more than just a scrawny announcer.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Edwin said:

No. Most of the hardcore WWF fans don't even know what Dark Side of the Ring is.

That's true, but it is also not necessary for a ratings drop that a majority do so. 

But I think Dark Side is more going to be another slow puncture rather than something that results in an obvious, immediate ratings drop. These docs aren't going anywhere though, and that documentary was not good for WWE's image - Martha and Oje come off as really well-adjusted sympathetic people and it's going to take more than McDevitt throwing shade to change that.