DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/20/2020

That womens match just completely fell apart, and Nyla looked really green and Not Ready For Prime Time, especially on the botched superplex through the table.

I'm not sure what the original plan for Saturday was, but hopefully tonight convinces Omega to take the belt off Rose this weekend so she can spend a year or two training and developing before being put in a high profile spot like this again.

Edited by Southside Jim
  • Like 1

AEW has had a long streak of decent to great shows but this one wasn't one of them. The show wasn't awful as OC vs Fenix was really fun until the end, MJF is always great, and it was nice to see Hangman back from the woods. I hope the PPV will deliver but expectations are lowered given the circumstances. 

Matt Hardy is wearing super-thin on me now.  Just get him off my TV.

The Brodie Lee thing is getting weird for me. I think he plays the gimmick well and it’s believable enough but it falls down for me every time I see his ring gear.  His pants seem too short and the colour is a bit off.  

I think Lance Archer suffers somewhat from it as well.  His in-ring look is kind of goofy.  I also don’t buy him as Jake’s protege.

Archer as the leader of the Dark Order and Harper as Jake’s protege seemed a better fit, I think AEW has them the wrong way round.

Wardlow & Hager are presented far, far better, they have slightly more realistic gimmicks and their in ring look is far more polished. 

AEW hasn’t quite figured out how to book their own gimmicky stuff as yet is what I’m trying to say.  The stuff that works has fallen into their laps.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, EVA said:

They have a solid out on this whole Dark Order thing coming up, if they want to take it.  They’ve been playing up how shitty Brodie is to all the creepers.  When he loses to Moxley on Saturday, they can have the creepers bail on him for being a loser just like them.  That feels like a natural end to the story, and they can save face and pretend this year-long storyline wasn’t the failure it was.

Brodie can move on to something that he’s good at, and you can just repackage Uno & Grayson whenever they’re allowed back into the country.

Yup. Maybe change some names too. A tubby apparently middle aged man called “Evil UNO”? Very lame. Similar to Jungle Boy — another who irrespective of the talent you could never see maineventing because of the name. They do a lot right but agree with an earlier comment that some of the ring gear needs to be polished & once the whole roster is available they need to be a lot more selective with who and what storylines get TV time. Get Dark Order off the TV - nobody is waiting through the week to see the escapades of a bunch of weirdos in gimp like masks.

4 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

People will look back on this in a year or so as probably where Cody's goodwill evaporates. History (largely his father's) tells us that they've deliberately sabotaged Moxleys title reign. Consistently a back seat while you're reminded the Elite's program is the real important stuff.

Funny you mention that.  I haven't been able to put my finger on why it always feels like Moxley is separate from the rest of the roster, like he's on his own show.  You nailed it.  He's definitely being booked on his own less important island.  Cody's definitely wearing thin for me.  Hey guys, he has a cool truck!  ? 

Thinking a little more about his "I can't challenge for the belt" stipulation, I realize that it actually gets him more over as the company's "uncrowned champion."  Like the fans are supposed to feel like he'd be the top guy if it wasn't for that stip. 

I never considered how much Cody may have learned about the art of undermining other babyfaces and getting guys under from Dusty. 

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I think Lance Archer suffers somewhat from it as well.  His in-ring look is kind of goofy.  I also don’t buy him as Jake’s protege.

Archer has a really bland baby face.  Look up pics of when he worked with short hair and no facial hair.  Dude looked like a middle manager.  It's all I can see when I see him in the ring.  I'm not sold on his gimmick at all.  Anybody on the roster could beat up non-wrestlers on the way to the ring.  Who cares about that?

Anyway, about the show!

Decent show.  Not amazing but not bad.

Hangman is back!  And still salty and not necessarily on the same page with the rest of the gang.  Cool.

Orange/Fenix was the match of the night for me.  I can't believe people were saying Orange's gimmick would be killed or he'd lose something or whatever as soon as he started wrestling.

I had to rewind to see where the injury happened and holy shit Rose landed right on Baker's knee.  I hope she's okay.

I enjoyed the dives from the guys in the ladder match but damn, catchers need to catch better, divers need to dive better, or both.  Fenix died on that shit.

I didn't think Brodie Lee was terrible on the mike as some.  I mean he wasn't great but not change the channel bad or anything.  This angle isn't setting the world on fire because it was rushed out of necessity so there's really nothing there.  It was pretty much a just add water insta-program, so it's pretty uninspired.  I'm sure the original idea for Lee was a slower build.

Has Nyla Rose had any defenses yet?  I honestly can't remember. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, A_K said:

Get Dark Order off the TV - nobody is waiting through the week to see the escapades of a bunch of weirdos in gimp like masks.

Big Van Vader (@itsvadertime) | Twitter Accelerator's Wrestling Rollercoaster Bios

So they redecorated the End Zones to have one say The Elite and the other say Inner Circle, didn't they? And Hangman ran in from the Inner Circle side?

Not  a bad show but for a go home show to a ppv it wasn't the best.

Agree that Brodies promo wasn't the greatest. Prior to last night I thought he had a decent shot at beating Mox, now I think it's Moxley all the way

What if Hangman is the mystery guy in the ladder match? He works the match and then wants to help Elite but they play it off as he is too hurt from the ladder match to help them. 

I originally thought Nyla was dropping the belt so that Britt could win it. Problem is and I know I'l get shit for saying it but it needs to be said. Brit's in ring is just as bad as Nyla's if not worse. But that seems to be the issue with the AEW women's division. They need an established name to come in and help out. 

Saturday will be fun. Looking to see where they go from here. 

• Like 1

A fairly decent go home show.

• MJF vs. Stunt was an okay David vs. Goliath match.  MJF was as convincing a bully as ever and the choke distractions just made Stunt look like a million dollars.  They need to let Luchasaurus kill the shit out of Wardlow one day.
  • OC vs. Fenix was okay until all of the crazy kickouts out of bona fide finishers started happening and that finish was ugly.  I hope Fenix is okay.  God, I fucking hate Kip Sabian. Only Pineapple Pete can make an ugly shirt look awesome.
  • Women's tag was a bit of a cluster but they improvised as best they could given the spot that nearly killed Britt.  Hope she's not hurt too badly.
  • Holy fuck, can poor Sammy get a career defining win over somebody important?  Why is Jericho the only member of the Inner Circle with a winning record?  Can the man at least win by count out as Matt abandons the match and races to save Kenny?  Matt's OPEN YOUR EYES spot was pretty great, though.
  • Brodie Lee has made some perfectly fine scripted promos in the WWE and needs to start doing that again.  Do not let that man say anything he hasn't rehearsed..
  • Surly Mox is the best.  RIP 10 and his arm.
Edited by J.T.

To me it doesn't really make sense to actually have a Dark Order when the two original people in the group hasn't been on there for a couple months.  I understand why because of the virus but have they even done videos with them in the last month

The injury updates from this morning's radio show

- Fenix hurt his hip on the dive but they do believe he will be okay for Saturday

- Britt Baker's injury is "bad". Has to checked out today but they are not optimistic (especially for Saturday)

- Matt Jackson either broke his rib or at least did cartilage damage doing the high cross off the stands. (Doctor believes it is broken but won't know until he is examined today)

10 hours ago, EVA said:

Also:  SHAWN SPEARS HAS *ANOTHER* GIMMICK.

People forget that Shawn Spears had at least 3 or 4 gimmicks during his developmental days trying to get out of there.  I mean the "10" gimmick was the only want that actually worked and even that wasn't THAT good to be a star on the main roster.   

Edited by hammerva

I don't think the number of gimmicks that Spears has used more amusing than the idea that AEW is pulling out all the stops to keep his face on television.

He must do an excellent job of washing Cody's truck in between tapings.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

After criticizing him pretty consistently, I feel like I need to commend Jim Ross this week for, as far as I can tell, not saying anything awful, dumb, or detrimental to the show.

Also, I'm loving the idea of Spears being the Beefcake to Cody's Hogan.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

I thought last night's show was pretty good, but it also happened to have their first bit of bad luck with multiple wrestlers getting injured. I'm not feeling Mox vs Brodie, but it's clear this is an alternate path because the build looked to be Mox vs MJF before all of the shutdowns happened. As mentioned on the other page, I hope they use this as an opportunity to off ramp the Dark Order. I always thought the Dark Order sucked, Brodie isn't helping, have Brodie go his own way and maybe take the Beaver Boys with him, repackage Uno and Stu, and just be done with it. Plus, Brodie, Reynolds, and Silver could make for another good trios team in AEW.

Sorry, just waking up and read that as "have Brodie go his own way and maybe take the Beastie Boys with him..." and I was like WTF???

• Haha 2

Brodie Lee's promo style reminds me of Joel Gertner (not necessarily the content).  Just his style of delivery. 

AEW needs to hire a wardrobe department and stop letting the wrestlers dress themselves. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Agreed. Matt Hardy going over (and having a terrible match in the process) was an awful decision. Felt very much like Mick Foley barely able to walk to the ring in TNA and still be treated as a threat.

People will look back on this in a year or so as probably where Cody's goodwill evaporates. History (largely his father's) tells us that they've deliberately sabotaged Moxleys title reign. Consistently a back seat while you're reminded the Elite's program is the real important stuff.

At this point you can't justify Mox going on last on the PPV.

My goodwill is starting to be stretched as so many guys are all over TV yet going nowhere. Sick of Sammy losing all the time for no reason. Darby constantly coming up short during the big one. I'm really not interested in Shawn Spears. Brodie Lee's stuff relys heavily on goodwill and WWE sentiment...given the lack of substance beyond that, it's super lazy. He now has Xpac heat with me.

They really book the Jurassic Express as dorks. As someone pointed out, Wardlow taking his time to leave the ring. Luchasaurus never initiates physicality with him and comes off lame. Almost seems pointless to protect MJF at this point if they're not going to do anything with him either.

That ladder match is a huge example of a year in, just how many also rans there are on the roster already.

a. This Cody political conspiracy against Mox talk is a ridiculous stretch.            
b. I would have loved to have seen Sammy defeat Hardy, but it's not like the loss hurts him.  They wanted to make the Elite look stronger going into the match.  And that's fine.  
c. Brodie Lee having some minor miscues on the mic does not need to be treated as a termination sentence.  I don't read taking inspiration from VKM for his character as lazy, but then I also feel like he's been an excellent contributor from the get go.    
d. I agree on the Jurassic Express, but I also get the impression that Luchasaurus' leg is in brittle condition. 
e. MJF has continued to be featured.  He was treated like a big star return and has a potentially beneficial PPV match.   

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Funny you mention that.  I haven't been able to put my finger on why it always feels like Moxley is separate from the rest of the roster, like he's on his own show.  You nailed it.  He's definitely being booked on his own less important island.  Cody's definitely wearing thin for me.  Hey guys, he has a cool truck!  ? 

Thinking a little more about his "I can't challenge for the belt" stipulation, I realize that it actually gets him more over as the company's "uncrowned champion."  Like the fans are supposed to feel like he'd be the top guy if it wasn't for that stip. 

I never considered how much Cody may have learned about the art of undermining other babyfaces and getting guys under from Dusty. 

The Cody conspiracy is catching on.  

a. Moxley is a loner.  That's why he feels separate.  His angles and matches are given plenty of time and importance.  Feels silly to point out the obvious.  
b. Cody's truck bit failed and was so bad it was funny.  The brawl that followed however was good.  So what ppl make mistakes.    
c. The 'I Can't challenge for the belt' stip should have some benefit and meaning.  That's not what I would call foul play.  Fans feel like he's a top guy because he is a top guy.  Suggesting that this undermines Moxley is thin.  I'm not sure exactly how this would impede on Moxley, and if it does perhaps he shouldn't be in the position he is.  
d. One of the great pieces of the early AEW puzzle of success is all the selflessness from the top down and interest in bringing guys up to a higher level.  Cody's work has been no exception.  And yeah, he should be going over and pushed.  He's one of their biggest stars.  

Orange/Fenix was the match of the night for me.  I can't believe people were saying Orange's gimmick would be killed or he'd lose something or whatever as soon as he started wrestling.

I enjoyed the dives from the guys in the ladder match but damn, catchers need to catch better, divers need to dive better, or both.  Fenix died on that shit.

I didn't think Brodie Lee was terrible on the mike as some.  I mean he wasn't great but not change the channel bad or anything.  This angle isn't setting the world on fire because it was rushed out of necessity so there's really nothing there.  It was pretty much a just add water insta-program, so it's pretty uninspired.  I'm sure the original idea for Lee was a slower build.

a. Absolutely.  The Lee thread burial going on in here is ridiculous.  Maybe some new gear would be nice, but repackage him?  Repackage Uno and Grayson?  No way.  Long live the Dark Order.
b. Also, Lee walking off and sacrificing 10 was fantastic!
c. Everything about the dive fest felt a bit off.  Including the low cameras awkwardly right in the face of everybody.  That was a mess.  
d. I agree completely on OC.  I love him and have loved him from the beginning.  He's money.  His comeback during the Fenix match reminded me of Hogan for a sec in the best sense.  It was like I could hear a crowd losing it for him.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

After criticizing him pretty consistently, I feel like I need to commend Jim Ross this week for, as far as I can tell, not saying anything awful, dumb, or detrimental to the show.

I may be the only one who thinks this, but I find the Ross/Schiavone dynamic of old-guys-busting-each-others-balls pretty entertaining. Like a modern day Matthau/Lemmon. 

• Like 1

Agreed that it was not a great episode. The Lee/Moxley match feels rushed but if it's to put a button on this Dark Order stuff I'm good with it. It's been a rough go of that gimmick since they debuted and it doesn't seem to be getting a lot better, plus with Uno and Grayson out indefinitely they may as well call it. They could always throw another twist to keep the stable going but as of now I think I'd rather see Brodie in another role. As far as Cody stealing focus goes, I think it's hard to judge booking given the circumstances and recording a bunch of episodes with a minimal roster meant Cody took the spotlight for a few weeks and the Mox/Lee feud didn't have as much build. Not something to make a habit of though.

Other than that, just an off night. People out of position or being sloppy at the worst times. Hope Britt is okay but word is her knee injury is 'serious'. AEW might have to Subject their Card to Change for a couple of people.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Agreed. Matt Hardy going over (and having a terrible match in the process) was an awful decision. Felt very much like Mick Foley barely able to walk to the ring in TNA and still be treated as a threat.

At this point you can't justify Mox going on last on the PPV.

My goodwill is starting to be stretched as so many guys are all over TV yet going nowhere. Sick of Sammy losing all the time for no reason. Darby constantly coming up short during the big one. I'm really not interested in Shawn Spears. Brodie Lee's stuff relys heavily on goodwill and WWE sentiment...given the lack of substance beyond that, it's super lazy. He now has Xpac heat with me.

They really book the Jurassic Express as dorks. As someone pointed out, Wardlow taking his time to leave the ring. Luchasaurus never initiates physicality with him and comes off lame. Almost seems pointless to protect MJF at this point if they're not going to do anything with him either.

That ladder match is a huge example of a year in, just how many also rans there are on the roster already.

I get what you're saying, but we have no idea how many of these guys have been available week-to-week. Mox and Cody are close, and I'd imagine Mox is hyper-sensitive do being sabotaged after his WWE run, so I don't think he'd put up with much of that. AFAIK, he's just been in Vegas instead of travelling back and forth.

They've had members of the Elite and Inner Circle on hand. Mox hasn't been. I don't think there's any conspiracy. 

The Sammy jobbing is just buckets of horseshit. I agree with you there. 

I think some people have been itching to criticize Cody for putting himself over and booking like his dad since the company was announced.  They tend to see what they want to see in the booking.

If Moxley and MJF had both been available to build their planned feud, I don’t think this would even be a point of debate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1