DVDVR Message Board

Backlash XV - 6/14/2020

Dolfan in NYC

For those watching the Edge/Orton match trying to see when Edge got hurt - he suffered the injury as they were doing retakes not during the first run through of the match

Tuned in for Edge/Orton just to see what that hype would lead to and to be honest the last thing I expected was a pretty good match between the two. A real shame Edge got hurt again but he got the match he wanted. The added crowd noise was quite distracting though. Wonder if we can get a version without it at some point or if we’ll just never speak of these Corona shows again in a year.

Street Profits vs Viking Raiders was maybe one of the worst things I've ever seen in WWE and that covers a lot of ground. It almost makes me sad to see how cool the Profits and War Raiders were in NXT, and how cool War Machine was in NJPW and elsewhere, and now they're all just a joke.

And it's not like the card was good before then. Everything kinda sucked or felt like a chore.

That so much felt like a chore to sit through before Edge vs Orton made their epic length match feel even longer. The match itself was fine. In front of a real crowd it would have been fucking awesome. In the PC with Vince piping in lame crowd noises, the folks in attendance basically acting on a script, and the shitty plexiglass barrier, it all just took a lot away from the match. And I'm not going to give a crap about there being reshoots or whatever for the match. To me, it didn't look obvious where there were edits or where they ever were. Really good match and considering Edge has a torn tricep, it's a good sendoff for him for now. If he can rehab that injury to maybe do part 3 at Wrestlemania then I could see that being a good end to Edge's career.

Knowing there were reshoots to the match may make the match seem a little worse.

But knowing there were reshoots to the match, and the match we got still had at least one instance where we could see that a cameraman was either in the ring with Orton/Edge or at least was on the apron in the background? That is UWF/TNA/WCW 2000 level bad.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Has Tom Phillips ever called the last match on a PPV before? (Brand only/NXT excluded?)

Not sure offhand though I want to say yes. They generally keep the announce teams brand specific so if his brand was the final match then he likely called it like last night.

26 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Knowing there were reshoots to the match may make the match seem a little worse.

But knowing there were reshoots to the match, and the match we got still had at least one instance where we could see that a cameraman was either in the ring with Orton/Edge or at least was on the apron in the background? That is UWF/TNA/WCW 2000 level bad.

That’s the thing I don’t get with so many people raving about it or claiming it’s deserving of 5 stars. In what universe is a match that’s been a) heavily edited, and b) had at least one day of reshoots worthy of being considered a “perfect” match? The editing alone should keep it from that as for all we know they filmed three hours of footage, and edited it down (I’m not suggesting it was that long, but there’s no proof it wasn’t at the very least fifteen minutes or more longer than what we witnessed). 

• Like 1

I was skimming through the show to keep up on things.  I found out that finish aside Drew/Lashley is worth checking out.  And maybe even Edge/Orton though I'm not sure I'm that motivated to see the match in full.  The only thing I tried to watch in real time was the Profits/Raiders stuff.  But after a few minutes of that I saw that Moxley was doing a cooking show with Brandi and switched to that.  Now him having a Jack and Coke while telling all kinds of stuff is quality entertainment.  It looks like last night I made the right decision on that one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

That’s the thing I don’t get with so many people raving about it or claiming it’s deserving of 5 stars. In what universe is a match that’s been a) heavily edited, and b) had at least one day of reshoots worthy of being considered a “perfect” match? The editing alone should keep it from that as for all we know they filmed three hours of footage, and edited it down (I’m not suggesting it was that long, but there’s no proof it wasn’t at the very least fifteen minutes or more longer than what we witnessed). 

They do that with movies and TV shows. I know wrestling is live theater, but we also live in weird times where live everything is really hard to pull off. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

They do that with movies and TV shows. I know wrestling is live theater, but we also live in weird times where live everything is really hard to pull off. 

I get they do that with other forms of entertainment, but when something is being graded (even subjectively) it should be held to the same standards as everything else in its past has been. Would you be cool with WWE going back, and editing let’s say Jinder Mahal vs Randy Orton, and making it a much better match? That’s what I was getting at with my comment.

And I agree it’s hard to pull things off, but maybe if Orton and Edge can’t pull off a good match without edits, and reshoots they should either cut the amount of time they got, or figure out a different match for each of them. I don’t recall seeing the NXT performers struggle at Takeover last Sunday, and outside of Dream-Cole that was entirely live. 

Was the Street Profits-Viking Raiders stuff as horrific as Meltzer's recap makes it sound?  

I feel like the Vikings-Profits angle might be bad enough to have warranted Heyman's firing.  Right now, I have no desire to see either team again.

I watched Summerslam '88 last night instead of Backlash. Reading Meltzer's recap, I don't feel bad about that decision.  Show sounded kinda bad aside from the main event (and I'm not really a fan of pre-taping a match so you can edit it).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It depends on how much you enjoy the absurd, and how much you enjoy WWE style silliness.

The Viking Profits is a face v face feud built like the old MVP/Matt Hardy feud of a while back.  Without the crowd to nudge you into turning one or the other, the best thing to do is to have them keep tryna 1 up each other and eventually just team up to fight a common foe.  That is what happened.   It was a typical WWE backstage brawl that ended up with ninjas led by Akira Tozowa interrupting, so they teamed up.  Add some "cinematic" silliness and it was a good way to bridge the gap between a the Drew/Lashley match and the "greatest match ever" 

I thought it was the best thing on the show from a straight "entertain me" stand point. 

It probably would of worked better either as a Raw segment, or earlier in the show with a different cool down match in its place, but overall, it was silliness that made me smile and set the table for something more serious to follow it.

• Like 1

The main was great. Working some holds at the beginning, learned reversals throughout, the build, rare moves, multiple finishers and the big match finish punt.  References to Eddie and the others was neat.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Morganti said:

Edge orton was good from what I got to watch before I started dealing with a minor ant invasion of my bedroom.

That's my favourite Lady Gaga song. Bedroom Ants.

• Haha 1

I felt like the Viking Profits thing was a nod to "Superhero Team-Ups" in movies and comics, where the two heroes meet, fight, and each tell the other to stand down, before a common enemy forces them to work together. Only WWE is incapable of telling that story in a compelling manner.

• Like 2

edgeortonbv.jpgI really enjoyed Randy Orton vs. Edge, it eclipsed their previous best match together (post Backlash 2007 RAW). One of the longest WWE matches ever at 44 minutes yet it didn't feel it unlike others...fucking Triple H's Hell in a Cell match with Shawn Michaels at Bad Blood 2004 going 47 fucking minutes. I liked how Randy Orton was one step ahead of Edge in the early going because this was only Edge's third match back while Orton's been active in Edge's absence, the neck work by Randy and Edge's selling (looks younger with the stubble beard). The amplifed audio I could go either way on, probably without. I thought this was one of WWE's best matches this year.

Edited by The Natural

On 6/12/2020 at 2:33 PM, RIPPA said:

To be fair - it did come out that the term "wrestling" is no longer banned.

That was randomly mentioned a week or so ago when it came out that the Buckle Bomb was banned

I would never take a Buckle Bomb from the guys that regularly use Buckle Bombs.

• Like 1

Just getting around to seeing this and damn, the hip toss onto Strowmans car, and everyone running away!!! Ahahaha!

(ivar?) with the bowling ball strike was goofy silliness that got us laughing. Between Tozawa showing up with the Foot Clan and the constant flashbacks I was expecting the ants and thunder frog from chikara to pop up and invade or something hahahaha. Even goofier ending with the (sarlacc?) monster but that definitely added more chikara vibes, and if we're going all the way silly with the match then that was a nice way to close it. Hadn't seen any of the skits leading up to this match so I didn't really have any expectations but I enjoyed the Warner brothers wackiness of it

Have to agree this felt like a comic book brawl/team up, my cousin joked that the brawl felt like the Avengers brawl from Winter Soldier and then the Foot Clan showed up and totally leaned into comic book territory "now we have to team up" style

Edited by Hayabusa
Echoing Just Drew's comment
  • Like 1