DVDVR Message Board

Backlash XV - 6/14/2020

Dolfan in NYC

There will be lots to discuss with that match but I enjoyed it.  I liked what they were doing for about the first 15-20 minutes with the classic approach.  Then Orton got aggressive on the outside and it leveled up the intensity another notch..  

The ten minutes that followed fell back into the typical WWE Main Event style..   but then the finishing stretch into the Punt which is probably the most well protected finisher in the federation ended this one on a high note.  

Credit to both guys.. however edited it was,  I think it delivered as a main event of this show. Rest of the show was ass. 

• Like 2

Orton vs Edge was like going to a restaurant and the food is great and the portion are great but the atmosphere and look of the place is so weird and strange that you just can't recommend the place at all.   It was easily Randy Orton's best match in maybe a decade though.  

It also helped that the thing before it was maybe the dumbest thing in 2020 with the Viking Raiders, the Street Profits, and whatever that racist stereotype thing was with Tozawa.   If that isn't the death of cinematic wrestling then we are stuck with it forever

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

Those two dudes busted their ass. You knew they’d play the classics given the build but Ioved how a lot of it tied into those that played a role in the leadup to the match and the booth did a great job putting the story over. Big fan of tonight’s main event.

Orton with some grade A shit talk at the end also.

• Like 1

I want to stress this up front: I have nothing bad to say about Edge, Randy Orton, or the effort they put out there. Honestly given that both guys are north of 40 I'm not sure what more you could ask of them.

And man, does it feel like it is wasted on this stupid fucking company.

I get that, but for me the example I had in mind was more American Ninja Warrior. The phony as fuck in house crowd reactions/shots of people making faces, the dumb piped in chants, the goofy ass logic-breaking close up camera shots. The company going out of their way to tell the audience in advance how great this is going to be because we've decided to tell A Very Good Story. It's cheesy and small time and it makes your athletes look worse than they actually are. Fuck this shit is stupid. This match deserved better, these workers deserved better. Stop this. Just fucking stop. I shouldn't be thinking about any of this kind of stuff at all but it's impossible not to when you're so aggressively in our face about it.

The only other thing I saw was the tag match segment before it, and that was an embarrassment on par with the cheesiest mid-90's stuff. The production side of this company is an absolute mess based on what little I've seen lately.

Cheers to Orton and Edge for the effort. You guys deserve better.

• Like 3

Andrade/Apollo was solid. Owens on commentary was fun.

Triple threat tag titles match was solid. Glad Bayley and Sasha retained. This might be the best match the IIconics have had on the main roster so far.

Braun vs. Miz & Morrison was about what I expected. It was entertaining at moments, but I'm never super big on handicap matches.

Asuka/Nia was good up until the bs finish. I can dig a double count out when done well. This was not and made no sense to do on a ppv.

Drew/Lashley was the first time I had watched and paid attention to a match of either guy in months. Thought it was pretty nice outside of a botch or two that Drew was lucky didn't end worse. MVP as Lashley's corner man shouting instructions was great .  The finish was the expected bs with Lana.

I have no idea what the fuck the Profts/Raiders brawl was supposed to be. It was just so damn random, ridiculous, an just had no reason for existing on this show. I'm kind of pissed it pushed Apollo/Andrade to the kick off show. That was some straight bull shit.

Orton/Edge got a bit overkill at times in the last 7 minutes or so, but was ultimately pretty damn good. Its easily the best match Orton has had since was fighting Christian and Henry on Smackdown years ago. The biggest knock against this was the dumbass editing adding crowd noise. It was just so moronic and took away from an otherwise fine match.

This was not a good show. I think the talent gave the effort, but the booking was just dumb for around half of it.

Mad respect to both Edge and Orton to go 40-45 minutes in a solid match while one guy is fighting a torn tricep. Say what you want about their past efforts(especially Orton, and you wouldn't necessarily be wrong) but they both deserve massive kudos for this.

Honestly, I think the match's filming helped the match feel a lot better than it could have. It seemed like the Edge/Orton match could be boiled down to "A WWE Main Event-Style Epic Match [tm], if WWE let the cameramen from Lucha Underground film it." It helped make it feel a bit better in a number of ways. 

The filming choices failed in a couple ways, both involved with trying this filming (most notably the post-superplex bouncing of the camera, which was impossible to suspend disbelief with how they did it. Just the bounce and angle meant it could not have been filmed that way unless the cameraman was in the ring at the time) and through traditional means in wrestling. Randy Orton's Punt has always been one of the most well-filmed moves in wrestling. WWE always manages to get JUST the right angle to make it look brutal and deadly. ...so naturally they finish this match, built around getting great camera angles to try and make it much better to the point they even made that "2000s anime fan glomping a person dressed as their favorite character" Edge calls a Spear look badass and brutal...and of course they get an angle for the Punt that makes it look incredibly weak and incredibly fake for the finish.

Either way, the match was...well, not the greatest wrestling match ever. And I can think of a few WWE matches I think were better than this just thinking main roster alone. But...it's up there on the list enough I'd say it's at least worthy of being in the discussion for "best WWE matches of all time." 

Edited by SorceressKnight

Terrible show with a great main event. Enjoyed the Lashley/McIntyre match more than I expected, but the rest was garbage. Especially the Street Profits/Viking Raiders stuff, even my 2 year old turned around and said "Can we watch wrestling now?" completely unaware of what we were watching.

Edge/Orton was probably one of the best commentary jobs in the company in a long time. They really brought the enthusiasm and drama tonight, or just have phoned it in for months and it was really noticeable when they didn't. Either way, right call not having Cole and Graves.

Randy Orton when the story is anything but "LOOK HOW SADISTIC AND METHODICAL HE IS IN THIS ENVIRONMENT, HE'S GOING TO TORTURE AND MAIM THIS GUY BUT DOESN'T" is always OK with me.

• Haha 1

Hardy vs. Sheamus was a pretty good match. I watched it from this point on. Still think it should have been a street fight or something, but the story of Sheamus not being able to put down Jeff was good. I guess this all sets up for some sort of "EXTREME" match at the next ppv. Probably tables. 

I was relieved when the Asuka/Nia match ended in a double count out. Don't care how it happened, but I'm just glad Nia didn't win.

If they're gonna do that cool train entrance for Braun, they should dig up the old Diesel truck horn and maybe that break away glass he had for his entrances. Anyway the match was all right. It was all the stuff you would expect from a handicap match. I feel Morrison has reached his peak here in the WWE. It's a shame cause either him or Miz would make a great heel champion. After this I really don't know who would be a good enough challenger for Braun. I would say Nakamura, but they have him firmly in the mid card. AJ would have been a logical choice, but they want him as IC Champion.

Drew vs. Lashley was pretty good. If they went with Bobby just crushing him in the first minute that would have been fine. The whole Lana aspect is just so stupid. She's capable of being a good heel manager in her own right. But they just wanted to do that dumb angle with Lashley and Rusev and now she's stuck here. Again this is probably setting up for an Extreme match of some sort.

Profits vs. Vikings was funny as hell but served no point what so ever. We know these guys can go out and have a great match. They have done it before. But we all know what Vince thinks of tag team matches.

Edge vs. Orton was not the greatest wrestling match ever. But it certainly was one of the best ones this year so far. I loved them having The Fink do one last into and I'll always be a mark for that MSG double microphone. I hated all the bells and whistles they put into it and it really took away from the match. The pumped up crowd noise, the camera in the ring so you know they had to do spots over to get those impact shots. But aside from that it was really good. Has no one ever kicked out of The Punt? I swear Cena did since he's kicked out of everything.