DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Otis in the Bank - 5/15/2020

Dolfan in NYC

4 hours ago, The Idiot King said:

Never seen the Forgotten Sons before, but Jaxson Ryker is an all-timer WWE name.

I don't think I'd ever be accused of underestimating WWE when it comes to lowest common denominator stuff, but it's QUITE A TIME to debut a right wing militia gimmick on the main roster.

Based on the promo from Smackdown, the “We’re mad because we fought for America and America treated us like shit when we got back” gimmick isn’t really the type of rah-rah, we love our country, blind patriotism deal a right-wing militia gimmick would be.  It’s even a shift from their last (iirc) “Hey, you foreigners are bad-mouthing our country, love it or leave it” promo/gimmick in NXT against the Grizzled Young Vets.

Edited by JonnyLaw

6 hours ago, The Idiot King said:

I don't think I'd ever be accused of underestimating WWE when it comes to lowest common denominator stuff, but it's QUITE A TIME to debut a right wing militia gimmick on the main roster.

It worked for Jack Swagger and Cesaro.

On 5/16/2020 at 4:32 PM, caley said:

What I want to know is how Drew Gulak qualified for an IC Title tournament when (per cagematch) he's only won THREE matches in the last 8 months of his WWE tenure (One over Nakamura from March 21st, in a team with Bryan over Cesaro/Nakamura from March 20th and then all the way back on September 15th in a three-way with Umberto and Lince Dorado?!

In my head, Bryan pleaded with the 'powers that be' to get Gulak into the tourney to 'show what he can do' and true to heel authority figure cliche, they put him in against Bryan.

Gulak lost then quit the company in frustration.

19 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Based on the promo from Smackdown, the “We’re mad because we fought for America and America treated us like shit when we got back” gimmick isn’t really the type of rah-rah, we love our country, blind patriotism deal a right-wing militia gimmick would be.  It’s even a shift from their last (iirc) “Hey, you foreigners are bad-mouthing our country, love it or leave it” promo/gimmick in NXT against the Grizzled Young Vets.

I can see that and I'm 100% willing to be wrong. Maybe I'm just being cynical but it read to me a little more like a Three Percenter or Oath Keeper kind of thing. Like THE SYSTEM has failed us (but not The President, somehow?), so we're going to take things into our own hands. Less like Rambo in First Blood, more like Rambo in Last Blood.

17 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

It worked for Jack Swagger and Cesaro.

Jaxxxzon Rykker is no Zeb Colter.

Cesaro was so over during that time too. Dude got mega-over as a Swiss man in a Tea Party gimmick tag team with heatless Jack Swagger. And it still would have been so easy to turn him into a main event babyface by having him get tired of Heyman talking about Brock all the time.

I remember a lot of people at the time being all 'not everyone needs to be a main eventer' with regards to Cesaro. Well, I'm sorry, but if you can get as over as he was, and you can go like fucking Cesaro can in the ring, then you at least deserve a shot.

• Thanks 2

Guest Edwin

Bryan vs. Gulak was another banger of a match between them. Both guys have been on a great run for the past several months.

1 hour ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

Cesaro was so over during that time too. Dude got mega-over as a Swiss man in a Tea Party gimmick tag team with heatless Jack Swagger. And it still would have been so easy to turn him into a main event babyface by having him get tired of Heyman talking about Brock all the time.

I remember a lot of people at the time being all 'not everyone needs to be a main eventer' with regards to Cesaro. Well, I'm sorry, but if you can get as over as he was, and you can go like fucking Cesaro can in the ring, then you at least deserve a shot.

Yep.

Doesn't have to go over Brock, but a proper build and a good showing on a couple of B level PPVs would make Cesaro a legit main event/upper card option who could challenge for the title.