DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 9: Overeem vs. Harris (5/16/2020) - Jacksonville, FL (VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Head kick sets up the murderous hook.  Vintage Reem.

And that's it.  Happy Birthday, Alastair Overeem.

Hard to see Big Ticket lose such an important fight so soon after his daughter's death but mad love for both guys.

Between that and the Randleman package, I may need Butter Pecan ice cream to cheer myself up.

Edited by J.T.

Nobody is going to want to say this but the ref not stopping it when Overeem was down cost UFC a freaking fortune.

Edited by sabremike

What a great fight to cap off a great show. As much as I love The Reem, you could tell even he didn't really want to finish the fight and immediately was like, "let's train together," consoling him. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, sabremike said:

Nobody is going to want to say this but the ref not stopping it when Overeem was down cost UFC a freaking fortune.

I get what you're saying but I really don't think even this story is going to make Walt Harris a star. Are we expecting a bunch of casuals tuning in because of his tragic story?

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

What a great fight to cap off a great show. As much as I love The Reem, you could tell even he didn't really want to finish the fight and immediately was like, "let's train together," consoling him. 

There has been so much pollen in my family room today.  I need to get a fan or something.  My eyes are all watery.  Fucking allergens.

• Like 1

I really hated the marketing of this show, because it was setting up a feel good story that we weren't guaranteed to get.  Him losing just feels like a kick in the nuts.  With that said, I thought the fight should have been stopped when Harris landed about 15 undefended punches in the first, but I'm not the ref.  

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

I get what you're saying but I really don't think even this story is going to make Walt Harris a star. Are we expecting a bunch of casuals tuning in because of his tragic story?

The guy coming back after just about the most horrible thing a person could possibly go through and beating a legend like THAT??? It would've been like a movie and the audience for this show was probably significantly bigger then the vast majority of past ESPN shows.

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I really hated the marketing of this show, because it was setting up a feel good story that we weren't guaranteed to get.  Him losing just feels like a kick in the nuts.  With that said, I thought the fight should have been stopped when Harris landed about 15 undefended punches in the first, but I'm not the ref.  

Reem had enough marbles left to get Ticket to bite on the fake heel hook and then taking Walt down so chalk up one for intelligent defense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

I really hated the marketing of this show, because it was setting up a feel good story that we weren't guaranteed to get. 

I wouldn't call it marketing necessarily because they couldn't avoid this story. Plus, it had already been covered throughout the media including ESPN. His first fight back was gonna revolve around this because it made national news.

The comment one of the talking heads just made about how the Cruz "Cigarettes and booze" comment may have been in the back of the ref's mind and made him gun shy about stopping the fight was a good point.

And the Anthony Smith destruction must be weighing on them too so pressure from both sides, making a difficult job even more difficult. Tan Dan usually gives guys all the time in the world to both make a comeback or eat a shit tonne of fists before making a call.

Overeem has been around a long time and been on the both sides of brutal finishes several times. I think the referees know what it looks like when Alistair is in deep, deep trouble by now. I think it was less on the referee and more on the fighter on the receiving end of the punishment.

• Like 1

I haven't watched any MMA basically since LFA, etc. got booted from AXSTV, but I saved this card on the DVR to come back to later... and it was one hell of a card. Those were great fights all the way down the line and a little something for everyone (and a batch of blood for all), plus it was funny watching some fighters play to a nonexistent crowd. 

My favorite fight was probably Yadong/Vera. Bad sportsmanship on faking out the handshake, Vera. C'mon man. And yeah you could tell Alistair didn't want to finish off Walt after Walt gassed himself out almost beating him, that felt like somebody taking the dog out back to get shot. I would have already stopped the fight if I was the ref but that's just me.

Edited by Curt McGirt