DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 9: Overeem vs. Harris (5/16/2020) - Jacksonville, FL (VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

96583715_926260551147871_638346089103936

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 9: Overeem vs. Harris 
May 16, 2020
Jacksonville, FL (VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena)

Alistair Overeem (253.5) vs. Walt Harris (264.5) - Overeem, TKO (punches), R2 (3:00)
Cláudia Gadelha (115.5) vs. Angela Hill (115) - Gadelha, DEC (split)
Dan Ige (146) vs. Edson Barboza (145.5) - Ige, DEC (split)
Eryk Anders (186) vs. Krzysztof Jotko (185.5) - Jotko, DEC (unanimous)
Song Yadong (145.5) vs. Marlon Vera (145.5) - Yadong, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN/ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Matt Brown (145.5) vs. Miguel Baeza (145.5) - Baeza, KO (punches), R2 (0:18)
Anthony Hernandez (185.5) vs. Kevin Holland (182.5) - Holland, TKO (punches), R1 (1:39)
Giga Chikadze (145.5) vs. Irwin Rivera (145.5) - Chikadze, DEC (unanimous)
Darren Elkins (146) vs. Nate Landwehr (146) - Landwehr, DEC (unanimous)
Cortney Casey (126) vs. Mara Romero Borella (125.5) - Casey, SUB (armbar), R1 (3:36)
Rodrigo Nascimento (255) vs. Don'Tale Mayes (241) - Nascimento, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (2:05)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Cortney Casey
Performance of the Night: Miguel Baeza
Fight of the Night: Song Yadong vs. Marlon Vera

Rating: 1.198 million viewers

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Cláudia Gadelha vs. Angela Hill- Such a Great Co-Main event that is my Pick for Fight of the Night. 
Dan Ige vs. Edson Barboza- It will be interesting to see how Barboza will look dropping down in weight. 

Cortney Casey vs. Mara Romero Borella- Should be a ground WAR but that might cancel each other out and we get a Stand Up Battle. 

• Like 3

I checked earlier just to be safe this time. This entire card is on ESPN (also ESPN+ as well) starting at 6 p.m. EST (5 p.m. Central and 3 p.m. Pacific).

• Like 2

This looks like a significantly better card. Yadong is my boi. Such great hand speed and technique. Whole main card should be good and there are some quality names on the prelims too. Shit yeah.

Gadelha is one of those fighters whose parts are greater than the sum. I hope she can start to put it all together here. Hill doesn't go away but isn't exactly great, so not the worst fighter to start something good against.

• RIPPA pinned this topic
20 hours ago, Oyaji said:

This looks like a significantly better card. Yadong is my boi. Such great hand speed and technique. Whole main card should be good and there are some quality names on the prelims too. Shit yeah.

Gadelha is one of those fighters whose parts are greater than the sum. I hope she can start to put it all together here. Hill doesn't go away but isn't exactly great, so not the worst fighter to start something good against.

Gadelha has had so much trouble with fighters she can't physically overpower. The bigger issue is that over the last year or two, the strawweight division has filtered out the women that would be or were easy matchups for her. The best example would be Karolina Kowalkiewicz, who went from top tier contender to nobody special in a short timespan. In hindsight, that goes from being a pretty damn good win for Claudia to basically you would be hard pressed to find someone who hasn't dominated Kowalkiewicz. Angela Hill had a tough time adjusting when she came back to the UFC, but she has found a groove. Maybe fighting so much has given her a chance to see different looks and gameplan for certain approaches against her. However, I can definitely say she has airtight, completely sensible strategies for everyone she goes against. It may not be a murderer's row of opponents, but she seems to have an answer for everything thrown at her. I still don't know if Angela can be a legitimate title contender...yet, but I see this being a really tough bout for Claudia. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

18 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

34 and 31. Without looking it up, that must be the best part of a decade ago. 2012?

At the time, a real statement of intent from Overeem. He was the best heavyweight ever, back in the... assisted days.

20 minutes ago, throughsilver said:

34 and 31. Without looking it up, that must be the best part of a decade ago. 2012?

At the time, a real statement of intent from Overeem. He was the best heavyweight ever, back in the... assisted days.

December 31, 2011.

excellent card so far!

Casey finally breaking her close decision streak. hope she can keep that up.

Elkins/Landwehr brings the blood!

Rivera jumping that sweep/low kick and punching Giga in the face was some movie shit. i have never seen that in a fight!

i missed the Hernandez/Holland fight. caught bits on replay and it looked good.

What would an MMA fight look like if there were no defense? My God, they were trading monster shots for the duration. Awesome to watch but I don't know how long either guy can do that for different reasons. 

If the fight was held in front of fans and Harris won it would've been the most memorable and emotional moment in UFC history. Seriously if he wins tonight you will know everyone within a mile radius who was watching the fight because they will be cheering and celebrating so loud.

Just now, supremebve said:

MMA judges going to MMA judge.

It was a close fight, but that was probably a gift after what happened in round 3. That was Chito's round easy. I don't think Song won round 2.

• Like 1