DVDVR Message Board

AEW Double or Nothing II - 5/23/2020

19 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Just rewatched the stampede because my girlfriend missed it last night, and man it's just such incredible fun. It's just straight up Wyle E Coyote and Roadrunner. Ortiz is just the greatest. And Adam Page is a fucking star, there I said it. Don't get me wrong, I was super pumped for Blood and Guts, but this kind of match was just what the doctor ordered right now. 

If Ortiz is Wyle E. Coyote, then Sammy is Daffy Duck. You can pin him, submit him, decapitate him, run him over, and spike his neck off a three story fall. The guy is still a star when it’s all said, and done.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Sammy is more over every time he's pinned. It's a remarkable talent.

Very true, he seems to take the pin more than anyone else in that group, gets his ass kicked repeteadly and loves playing a fool yet I want to see more of him every week. Kid’s got a bright future and he pretty much won the wrestling lottery by being chosen to be right next to Jericho for this past year.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 5

I love the pantomime stuff in wrestling. That stadium stampede put a big smile on my face. Sammy's face as he ran away from various things, Ortiz being Ortiz, Hardy's grin under the water, "right over his crotch" from a clearly loving-it Tony, Ortiz being Ortiz some more, "I can't swim". All glorious. Some of the spots really delivered as well, the assisted buckshot in particular was cool AF. 

I got into Mox-Brodie the more it went on. Bodies gear was a big step up and as someone else mentioned, when he dropped the straps it really clicked. He's got a great face for colour. 

Shida-Nyla was better than I expected. Can't really get into Nyla but this was better. Thanks to the person who mentioned Shida's gear was Tifa inspired, it was bugging me what it was. 

MJF-Jungle Boy was some good graps. Thought jungle boy brought some pretty decent selling in this. MJF is so hateable and works really well against someone as pure a baby face as jungle boy. 

I liked some of the spots in the ladder match, especially OC struggling with ladders and backpacking on Cage. Had some issues with timing and stuff. Also, SCU looked like dopes rather than "honourable" by not just going for it at the beginning or even teaming up a bit more. Would have worked better if the stip was that you couldn't win until all men in. Nice debut from Cage, but "who can stop the path of Cage" in Taz's voice is awful, sounds like the start of the Hurricane's entrance. Can't take that voice seriously. 

Cody Archer disappointed. The in ring was good and Archer's shit-talking is glorious. But all the stuff on the periphery dragged it down. Why was Jake distracting the ref so Arn could attack? What was the plan with the Snake? Did Iron Mike have some kind of authority? Why did Bryce look to him before ejecting Arn? 

On the topic of shit talking, there was some great swearing picked up mid-match. Janela had a "fucking mother fucker" after being taken out by Cage, there were a few "oh shit"s as people were going up for moves and a few others. Dunno if anyone has watched" Gangs of London" but one of my favorite parts of the fight scenes in it was the realistic mid-fight, almost not picked up, swearing, like how you would eff and blind if you stubbed your toe. 

Rest of the show was not great but I felt I got my moneys worth. 

Edited by Fighting a man with a perm
So many typos
  • Like 2

Late to the party but count me among the crowd who had a blast with the Stadium Stampede. So many highlights I've tried to capture:

Both teams running to one another reminded me of...

See the source image

Hangman Page arrives on a horse chasing Sammy Guevara.

Moonsault of the posts by Matt Jackson.

"I can't swim!"

Mattitude Version 1 making a welcome return as Santana/Ortiz read the on screen graphics.

Chris Jericho putting the traffic cone on his head and doing the witch laugh.

Chris Jericho KO's the mascot with the Judas Effect.

Chris Jericho with the video replay appeal and says "You're a shitty referee!" to Aubrey Edwards.

Kenny Omega/Matt Hardy chasing poor Sammy again win a golf cart as the ref tries to run with it.

The jumping One Winged Angel through a stage by Omega to Sammy.

See the source image

A right spectacle.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4

I also enjoyed MJF vs. Jungle Boy minus the Inverted Hurricarana on the ring apron, the Poison Rana makes me cringle and Jon Moxley vs. Brodie Lee. Moxley looked tough as did Mr. Brodie Lee. Lee got to kick out of two Paradigm Shifts was quickly went out with the rear naked choke. I liked that.

• Like 1