DVDVR Message Board

AEW Double or Nothing II - 5/23/2020

11 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Hager was 72.  No idea why.  The best I could come up with was that it's a 72 virgins reference as a shot at AEW fans???

I think Tony said it may have been his jersey’s s number when he used to play Football

53 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Ah, that is my mistake. Somebody mentioned it being months away and I didn’t question it.

I guess I’m not being clear. I’m not speaking in kayfabe terms, I understand the gimmick, I mean irl. Brodie debuts, gets a title shot. Cage debuts, gets a title shot. Sticking with my prime example, MJF has big wins under his belt and is shoehorned onto the PPV with a match vs Jungleboy, which turned out great but perhaps MJF/Mox and Brodie/Jungleboy (leading to Lee challenging at Fyter) would’ve played off Max pinning #1 contender Cody and allowed Brodie a little more time to get established and built as a challenger. Then Cage could go on a roll in the meantime. I’m clearly in the minority on this though so I’ll let it go.

My only question (then I promise to let it go too) is this. If they ran MJF/Mox last night, and did the super obvious outcome of Mox wins to retain the title what do you do with MJF? Moving him down to feud with Cody over the TNT title seems repetitive, and like a move most of the audience would hate.

Personally I think they’re better off doing what they actually are, and letting MJF win the belt at All Out. Then they can go in directions of Darby, Kenny, or Hangman Page chasing him down, or if they build it up well have Cody go on a dominant run with the TNT belt, MJF gets frustrated that it’s being treated as more prestigious than his belt, and they go back on the Cody stipulation and do Cody vs MJF for the title at lets say Revolution next year (as Full Gear feels like it would be too fast).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Thanks, I got all that. My point is that the trend of pushing new signings straight to a world title shot takes away from the idea that you’re supposed to earn it. Sure, Brodie was undefeated but MJF is still undefeated in AEW and has been there since the beginning. And Cage gets a title shot after one match in the company? Boo-urns. If they’re going to wait 4 months to have the match he could’ve gotten there organically anyway. 

They said Brian Cage was facing Moxley at Fyter Fest which would be roughly two months away. Plus, the entire point of the match was that the person who won could jump to the front of the line. Would kind of defeat the purpose if someone already in line for the title shot won it—especially in the first occurrence of the match.

And MJF didn’t compete for two months because of the pandemic while Brodie Lee wrestled almost every week. Hard to build a good feud with no physical interaction until the week of a ppv. That also wouldn’t be consistent with their rankings since you move down when you’re idle and others aren’t. Plus, it would probably seriously hurt MJF’s momentum to lose now and if he is to win you’d want it in front of a crowd for the reaction.

33 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

bros are we really on the internet mocking a pro wrestler for how they look

can this wait a week

Also, he pretty much looks like every other corn-fed white dude who takes their football photo in high school. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Bryan said:

They said Brian Cage was facing Moxley at Fyter Fest which would be roughly two months away. Plus, the entire point of the match was that the person who won could jump to the front of the line. Would kind of defeat the purpose if someone already in line for the title shot won it—especially in the first occurrence of the match.

And MJF didn’t compete for two months because of the pandemic while Brodie Lee wrestled almost every week. Hard to build a good feud with no physical interaction until the week of a ppv. That also wouldn’t be consistent with their rankings since you move down when you’re idle and others aren’t. Plus, it would probably seriously hurt MJF’s momentum to lose now and if he is to win you’d want it in front of a crowd for the reaction.

I disagree with many of your points and since it's a matter of opinion and theorizing I think we can let it rest now.

If they keep to the same schedule as last year, and the upcoming show isn't just a special episode of Dynamite, then FyterFest would be in a littler over a month, not two or four like you guys are talking about. And the other free B/R Live show would be the July one, which was Fight For The Fallen in 2019 (and I think Tony Khan said last year he'd like to make that a yearly thing, right?)

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

OC asking for help from the announce crew! ??????? 

Damnit for speed alone I want to see Darby vs Scorpio Sky 1 on1 if they havent already wrestled

And OH FUCK! Cabanas fingers!?

That suit Jimmy Havoc has is NICE

Aww dang, Janela just ran thru everyone like Optimus iconic scene in the animated movie where he just crits a bunch of Decepticons! Just needs that "You got the touch!" track 

Hahahahahaha! OC climbs on Cages back to let him do the climbing had me losing it!

Wait, is that Vickie Guerrero in the front row?

Jungle boy and MJF had a great hate filled match, love that it didn't need interference 

Edited by Hayabusa
Loving the ppv

16 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Stadium Stampede is a must for the eventual AEW video game. Ortiz is The Best. It's true. Going down the pool ladder so slowly, hahaha. That was so much fun.  

I was thinking about this too.  It's a must as an unlockable stage...  it'd be almost as fun as the match itself. 

• Like 3

I'm not a fan of Jimmy Havoc as a worker or wrestler or whatever but dude could be a great manager - looks good in a suit and can talk based on MLW stuff (and a convo I had with him once after a show... hey, he was pretty charming!).

The commentary veers into MST3K as Tony says “Well this is natural turf, okay.”, and JR whips out “...And your point?”. The difference between AEW’s commentary, and WWE’s commentary, is at least the AEW guys are ribbing each other for fun, the WWE guys sound like they are trying to get each other fired.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Him mumbling that it's softer and realizing how dumb that is to bring up was so good. I'm laughing just thinking about it. Another guy with a strange, great career. Sometimes it appears he spaces out by missing a point made or whatever but that's okay. He is reformed Tony Schiavone and we have time for him. Commentary team was great all night I thought. Excalibur has toned down the "whoaohooooh" deals. He still doesn't feel entirely comfortable but I enjoy his work a lot. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Him mumbling that it's softer and realizing how dumb that is to bring up was so good. I'm laughing just thinking about it. Another guy with a strange, great career. Sometimes it appears he spaces out by missing a point made or whatever but that's okay. He is reformed Tony Schiavone and we have time for him. Commentary team was great all night I thought. Excalibur has toned down the "whoaohooooh" deals. He still doesn't feel entirely comfortable but I enjoy his work a lot. 

Loved that too. "It's... …different, is my point, Jim"

18 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Just rewatched the stampede because my girlfriend missed it last night, and man it's just such incredible fun. It's just straight up Wyle E Coyote and Roadrunner. Ortiz is just the greatest. And Adam Page is a fucking star, there I said it. Don't get me wrong, I was super pumped for Blood and Guts, but this kind of match was just what the doctor ordered right now. 

I was reminded more of Zucker Abrahams Zucker, but Warner Bros is a good comparison too. Just one insane creative idea after another coming at you so quickly... Definitely a nice, entertaining break from the pretty grim recent reality.

• Like 1