DVDVR Message Board

AEW Double or Nothing II - 5/23/2020

Stadium Stampede was dumb.  Not as bad as any of WWE's "cinematic matches," or the Undertaker "dying" at Royal Rumble 94, but the replay tent, Page riding a horse, golf cart, NEO 1 drone, etc. put it at about the same level of stupidity as Team No Respect urinating on the FMW promoter, or Prince Kharis in SMW.

Excuse me, I'm going to rewatch Cactus Jack/Maxx Payne vs. Nasty Boys from Spring Stampede to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

• Like 2

Lance Archer's opening assault was great. Cody's selling wasn't the best tonight and his comeback felt a little flat but I loved the three Rhodes' moves followed by a Stinger splash. That reverse superplex was super fucking dangerous. Mike Tyson trying to put on a shirt during the finish tho. ? Fun match but I think without the manager and Tyson stuff and maybe trimming 3 or so minutes off and it is a super match. As is, flawed near greatness.

I get that it was a forced, last minute replacement but Statlander vs. Penelope was not worthy of ppv. 

Women's title match has some really good spots rounded into a very good match overall. Shida is absolutely the one to carry the division until others get on her level. Rose is able to be carried at least. We've seen it with both Shida and Riho. That kendo shot was gnarly. Damn.

Title match was very good I thought. Bomb throwing with adequate drama and Brody got to go out like a G. Fun. 

Stadium Stampede is a must for the eventual AEW video game. Ortiz is The Best. It's true. Going down the pool ladder so slowly, hahaha. That was so much fun. 

Thought the ladder match had a lot of weak looking shit and a few big spots that worked. Cage made to look awesome out of the gate. I think highly of him. The one thing he's always missed is an intensity and hopefully Taz can get that out of him, that's certainly something Taz had in spades. 

Show felt like the best possible no audience WCW Uncensored PPV with all the no DQ matches but the bombz added to each one with the Taz/BBB spot, the headshot with the kendo stick, and the Cody/Archer match, then the gimmick matches. Not complaining. It's fun when done right. Money well spent and a nice reprieve from sorrow. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Edge & Orton must be pissed that their almost one hour match was put to shame by the Stadium Stampede.

Yes, but who will be put to shame when they have THE GREATEST WRESTLING MATCH EVER (tm)?

I was on the fence about buying DON (bought it 2 minutes before it started) but I'm glad I did. The Stadium Stampede was everything I want out of wrestling. I also liked the ladder match and am hoping for good things from Brian Cage. Shida winning felt like perfect timing to give someone their moment, something WWE is the worst at, so that was refreshing. 

• Like 2

That main event was DDT-tastic. Bonkers, creative and genuinely laugh out loud funny. Exactly what we needed after the last few days, and none of the cinematic trappings of the WWE or Hardy compound efforts. I like my wrasslin’ played straight but it’s pointless right now and I could watch that over and over. A billion stars.

Genuine respect also for AEW taking the time to talk about Hana. Total class.

• Like 6

I'm watching now but I said this about Jimmy Havoc a couple of weeks ago:

You gotta get some good suits if you want to be a credible lush in your late 30s.

I'm not sure I'd call the suit good exactly, but nice to see my notes being actioned. Dashing Kip Sabian & Dapper Jimmy Havoc can come later.

• Like 1

That main event was the same as a WWE gimmicky shitfest down to the smallest detail. Even the commentaries fake laughter was there. Some of the spots were funny, but I'm really not sure how to take anything those ten people di seriously anymore, aside maybe from Hager. 

Although he has probably fallen into some kind of abyss, since he was gone after the buckshot but nobody tried to go for a pin. 

Edited by ReiseReise

8 hours ago, A_K said:

Last 3 a lot of fun - everything else garbage. But the fun of the last 90 more than made up for it. 

Out of curiosity how was MJF vs Jungle Boy “garbage”? Don’t get me wrong I’m not a huge MJF guy, but I thought their match was quite good.

I was into Mox/Lee more than I thought I’d be. It turns out the Dark Order stuff did nothing to build to a pretty good title match, I’d like to see them run it back with a more serious Brodie further down the road. I was also big into Shida/Rose and MJF/Jungleboy, not as much Cody/Archer but they pulled that one out too. A really good night of wrestling, all things considered, and that can be tough these days especially if you’re asking more dollars for it but I got my money’s worth.

I can’t say I’m that into Brian Cage. I watched him on Impact and Lucha Underground and he never piqued my interest but I’m willing to see what he can do as a challenger. That’s two challengers in a row that we’re recent debuts, kind of throws the rankings out the window so it better be MJF or someone else who’s been working hard the past year to get a shot.

7 hours ago, Southside Jim said:

Stadium Stampede was dumb.  Not as bad as any of WWE's "cinematic matches," or the Undertaker "dying" at Royal Rumble 94, but the replay tent, Page riding a horse, golf cart, NEO 1 drone, etc. put it at about the same level of stupidity as Team No Respect urinating on the FMW promoter, or Prince Kharis in SMW.

I'm curious how those that liked the match felt about the magical costume change, attempted drownings, NEO 1 drone, etc.  I assume these things were considered funny?    

3 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

That main event was the same as a WWE gimmicky shitfest down to the smallest detail. Even the commentaries fake laughter was there. Some of the spots were funny, but I'm really not sure how to take anything those ten people di seriously anymore, aside maybe from Hager. 

Although he has probably fallen into some kind of abyss, since he was gone after the buckshot but nobody tried to go for a pin. 

Also curious how ppl felt about that lame fake laughing commentary?  Or Hager and others just disappearing but not being pinned.  The disappearance without a pin made 'sense' with Santana seeing as he was put in an ice box, but that mindless portion of the match between Hardy and Santana/Ortiz was full of attempted murders.  

Of course, this is wrestling, so ya just have to suck it up and accept the bullshit, and pretend to care when they decide it's serious again.  AEW is not feeling like much of an alternative right now.      

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

I’m curious as to why the talk of fake laughing? It wasn’t Fallon. Seemed pretty clear that Schiavone and Excalibur were having a great time.

If it wasn’t for you that’s fine. But if you wanted something genuinely creative and not at all taking itself seriously, job done. I’ve been laughing about it ever since.

Now someone strap Corney to gimmick and alert the local facilities.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, MavsFan77 said:

Out of curiosity how was MJF vs Jungle Boy “garbage”? Don’t get me wrong I’m not a huge MJF guy, but I thought their match was quite good.

Sorry I was drunk & tired  when writing and forgot that - it was very good. MJF injury spot in particular was very convincing. The “garbage” comment was tinged by successively having to watch both Rhodes brothers go over — which if not absolutely abhorrent in the case of Cody seemed completely detrimental given how they’ve built Archer, while it certainly did feel completely nepotistic to see Dustin Rhodes as part of a pay per view product in 2020 not least winning a squash — and the awful Statlander / very disappointing ladder match. 

Edited by A_K

After a shitty day, shitty week and shitty year, AEW did it's job and was able to deliver entertainment that took your mind off everything that's happening. I was on the fence about ordering earlier in the week but I'm so damn glad I did. The undercard was a mixed bag, but the main event more than made up for it.

The Stadium Stampede was worth the price alone! So many hilarious one liners and just pure entertainment. Challenging the refs two-count and doing a replay review, the bar fight, the referee running trying to keep up with the golf cart, the pool scene, jumping off the goalpost, Sammy being woken up by the water hose and the f*cking HORSE!

They didn't try to be serious like Edge-Orton with slow plodding, heavy breathing work. If this was a Wargames match like it was originally scheduled back in March, then I'm sure it would've been more "blood and guts." But they went out and entertained us and gave the audience exactly what we needed right now. Kudos to all involved! 

• Like 4

Yeah, I’m not getting the “fake laughing” criticism.  Tony is genuinely delighted by everything these days, and Excalibur pretty much made his name in commentary by being loose and calling silly matches like this.  It didn’t at all sound like Big Tony was screaming LAUGH GODDAMMIT in their ears.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

I thought I saw Johnny Swinger in the crowd on the Heel side but it's Pepper Parks aka the Blade wearing a Swinger like Singlet. 

I thought it was great that Bugsy McGraw could make it as well but then I noticed that it was the Butcher.   Plus I am not sure if McGraw is still alive

How has no one mentioned OC asking the commentators “how do you win this match again?”. That got the biggest laugh of the night from me.

Cage looks in better shape than I remember him being, as in he looks like he dropped a tiny bit of size in exchange for more mobility.

TNT match was OK but I hated everything between Jake, Arn and Tyson, just completely unnecessary. Let the guys wrestle.

Really happy with the Shida win, she was basically the uncrowned champion by being number one contender for 13 straight weeks.

Brodie’s gear keeps improving and he looked specially bad ass when he dropped the straps. I enjoyed this brawl, no nonsense  and just two guys beating the shit out of each other.

Main event was beautiful, what else can be said. This “cinematic” matches work so much better with commentary and without music btw. It sounded like absolutely everyone involved was having a blast. My only complaint really was the bad audio/dialog on a couple of occasions which is really unacceptable at this level and with a pre taped match.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, eikerir said:

Main event was beautiful, what else can be said. This “cinematic” matches work so much better with commentary and without music btw. It sounded like absolutely everyone involved was having a blast.

Yeah if you are doing silly, then having the commentators be the MST3K crew. 

• Like 1

I really liked the Stampede match and I can see why it was mostly loved.  I wouldn't say it was better than the Boneyard match but definitely miles better than the other versions of the WWE cinematic matches The only part of the match that really turned me off was Matt Hardy's comedy stuff.  It is kind of stale to me.  Although Ortiz and Santana more than made up for it.   Ortiz selling of the noise of the bell would put D Von Dudley to shame.   Also the 100 yard suplex bridge from Matt and Sammy was pretty dumb and really shows how that move has no impact at all.

I am surprised that Sammy didn't come out to the number 69 frankly.  Also loved listening to JR trying to put over the shitty Jaguars with the "I am a Doug Marrone guy".  Probably something that has only been said once in that last 6 months.   absolutely loved the "instant replay" segment with Jericho and Aubrey.  Those two have great chemistry

I know that we can't do this in 2020 but if Hagar would have punched Adam Page's horse Blazing Saddles way it would have been a 20 stars match.  

• Haha 2