DVDVR Message Board

AEW Double or Nothing II - 5/23/2020

This card is fine to good, but a challenging 50$ drop.  AEW has done a good job running empty arena shows, but mostly I say good for the effort.  The actual quality has been spotty at best. 

I think I'm most interested to see who the Mystery man is, but that's not enough for a buy in.  Love to see the Gulak jump here.  Maybe even more so Chris Hero.  I'm suspecting we might see Brian Cage.  Smart to throw out the mystery element as so many guys are available, but as we know the 90 day clauses limits the selection of post-WWE guys.  Ricky Starks looked good in the NWA.  He'd be a nice addition.    

Stadium Stampede is likely to be more of what we saw a couple weeks back with Sammy/Jericho-Hardy/Omega.  It was fine with a couple good spots, but do I need more?  I guess the Bucks and Page are there.  The Jacksons will surely have a few neat spots, and Page is amongst the best in the company right now.  I suspect the Revolt will show up somewhere here as well.   

As for the tag match, how is Private Party in a number 1 contender's match?  I'll be close to the fast forward button for this.  So to Britt-Statlander.  I have hope for Shida-Nyla, but not expecting a classic.  I'm always interested in a young guns battle like MJF-Jungle Boy, but certainly not peaking my interest in a buy in.  Cody-Archer could be good, but it may also be very clumsy.  Mox-Lee, sure.  I'm interested, but I don't feel any intrigue over who gets the win.  Tho, i suspect it could be an excellent bout.  

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

As for the tag match, how is Private Party in a number 1 contender's match?

I imagine it's because all of the ranked teams besides Best Friends and themselves are busy that night - and the Dark Order can't enter the country for another month.

1 minute ago, Bill S. Preston ESQ. said:

Can Gulak sign with AEW now? His contract just expired, not a release?

Yes, he can work anywhere or sign with anyone unless he signs a brand new contract with WWE.

• Like 1

Private Party have improved. You know how the issue was that they only had a very few offensive spots, so they'd just have the same match over and over? Their last two matches on Dark weren't like that. They've got some new shit now.

Also, Mark Quen has jacked up arms now.

Does the Xbox One have the B/R Live app or an app for your cable provider? If not, you're probably out of luck. Or if you still have a cable box or dish receiver you can order it through that.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Penelope Ford replaces Britt Baker due to injury

9 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Joey Janela is replacing Rey Fenix in the ladder match 

Joey Janela in the mix of a field of workers in a ladder match is an reasonable substitution, but Penelope Ford and Kris Statlander trying to figure out who should call the spots has the potential to be awful and mostly because Ford is even greener than Kris.

I hate triple threat matches, but I think this is one of those times where I would've booked Nyla to work Shida and Kris.  

Edited by J.T.

17 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Not sure if this is the proper place for this: do any Americans here have experience streaming AEW PPVs on X-Box One? My laptop is being funny and I just wanna make sure I'm set up for tomorrow night. Thanks dudes.

15 hours ago, Craig H said:

Does the Xbox One have the B/R Live app or an app for your cable provider? If not, you're probably out of luck. Or if you still have a cable box or dish receiver you can order it through that.

XB1 has the B/R Live app so you should be able to download it and stream the PPV from your console.  Just go to the Apps section of Microsoft Store and sort by Sports and the app should not be too far down in the queue.

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 1

Double or Nothing ends with a stare down between Jericho and his bat “Floyd vs Sting and his black bat....somewhere in the Football Stadium...or possibly...Jericho standing on the Football field holding his bat as Sting shows up on the big TV/scoreboard with a short statement holding his bat.

But either way it will start the buildup for Jericho vs Sting for 1st time ever at the next AEW PPV. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Shadow has a decent idea there.  I hadn’t thought much about it, but Floyd now does seem like a detail in a Sting return.  Also, Jericho-Sting, tho not a bout I’ve ever cared to see, could be a special way to bow Borden out.

Anybody out there feel like they’ve got a good sell to someone on the fence (leaning nah) for this ppv?  I wanna support AEW, but that’s my biggest hook and not quite enough after months of an inferior product.  

I would have rather seen Sting present the TNT title to the winner of Cody/Archer. If Sting is at the ppv, I really don't want to see him later in a wrestling capacity. He would have made for a good mentor for Darby before the Taz angle started. If I'm feeling nostalgic for Sting, I'll pop on the WWE network.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

I'm optimistic the show will deliver. I think everyone either went, in the case of the Stadium Stampede, or will go all out to deliver. I'd guess there's extra motivation given the current state of affairs and a feeling of not wanting to disappoint, even in an empty arena.