DVDVR Message Board

AEW Double or Nothing II - 5/23/2020

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

The best of all worlds would be if YouTube or YouTube TV had a PPV model, but they don't so here we are.

That definitely do, since that's I watched UFC 200.

Oh I thought you meant just in general. Yeah, I imagine since they're in bed with WarnerMedia that YouTube PPV is off the table and it kind of limits what they can do digitally for their shows since B/R Live is the main platform. On the one hand, I'm super happy that they have a partner like that, but on the other hand, it also sucks because B/R Live isn't that great of a service (although having full episodes of Dynamite on there and all the specials, etc. is nice).

EDIT: Oh yeah - @Craig H are you thinking of the Hiroshi Hase sexual harassment scandal?

Edited by Casey

AEW is not announcing Okada for DON PPV because of the hurdles Okada has to go through to actually perform on May 23rd. “Mystery Man” is the perfect angle to put Okada on the card if he passes Covid-19 tests coming from Japan.

1 year ago Okada professed to watch Double or Nothing and he said it was fantastic. Okada and Jericho did a match together in Japan right after Jericho pinned Omega and right before Jericho became AEW Champion. Jericho put Okada over....and now Okada will come to AEW, with New Japan approval, and have his moment in the United States and win the ladder match. Okada will do the Dynamite show on May 27th and go back to Japan. Okada getting a AEW world title shot sometime down the road when we have crowds again. Okada vs Jericho, Okada vs Omega or Okada vs Moxley is probably what’s in store. 

New Japan had to come back to the table with Tony and Kenny. New Japan needed to create a partnership with Tony Khan to help ignite New Japan’s reach in the United States. Covid-19 was the disaster that created the opportunity.

When you do something like this....when you finally seal the deal on this epic, change the world type of deal...you go big. You go as big as you can.

Okada.

Is here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Casey said:

Oh I thought you meant just in general. Yeah, I imagine since they're in bed with WarnerMedia that YouTube PPV is off the table and it kind of limits what they can do digitally for their shows since B/R Live is the main platform. On the one hand, I'm super happy that they have a partner like that, but on the other hand, it also sucks because B/R Live isn't that great of a service (although having full episodes of Dynamite on there and all the specials, etc. is nice).

EDIT: Oh yeah - @Craig H are you thinking of the Hiroshi Hase sexual harassment scandal?

God...Maybe? Hase isn't the name that would come to mind, but maybe that's it. I swear I thought it was DDT dude. I tried doing a search on my phone and didn't find anything. I should start getting more sleep because I can't remember shit anymore.

BTW (I know this isn't the right folder but it was brought up), has Hase apologized for that? My friend, who really enjoyed watching Hase, was looking up the story over the weekend and was trying to do some mental gymnastics but we both came to the conclusion that Hase's a bit of a dink, sadly. I searched his name on the Mainichi Shimbum English site and both of the stories are related to sexual harassment. This most recent thing and he was, I believe, sports minister a couple years back when a four time wrestling Olympic gold medalist, Kaori Icho, said she was sexually harassed by one of the management of the wrestling federation and Hase's response at the end of the article was wondering why she went public instead of coming to him about it. Like, yeah, that's a great take, dog - cultural differences be damned. And I really wonder why somebody wouldn't come to him about it.

3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

BTW (I know this isn't the right folder but it was brought up), has Hase apologized for that? My friend, who really enjoyed watching Hase, was looking up the story over the weekend and was trying to do some mental gymnastics but we both came to the conclusion that Hase's a bit of a dink, sadly. I searched his name on the Mainichi Shimbum English site and both of the stories are related to sexual harassment. This most recent thing and he was, I believe, sports minister a couple years back when a four time wrestling Olympic gold medalist, Kaori Icho, said she was sexually harassed by one of the management of the wrestling federation and Hase's response at the end of the article was wondering why she went public instead of coming to him about it. Like, yeah, that's a great take, dog - cultural differences be damned. And I really wonder why somebody wouldn't come to him about it.

He put out a statement on his website. The apology was basically "I don't remember it in detail, I think it really occurred this way though, but if it didn't, I'm sorry and I apologize".

Bad translation ahead:

Spoiler

I would like to report on the facts I have known about the visit to the Housing First Study Group that has been reported at this stage.

On the morning of the day of the inspection, the office worker of the Housing First Study Group sent an inspection guide, saying, "There is an NPO organization in Shinjuku that helps young girls cuddling up, and can you help with the inspection and setting up a night cafe?" That is why I participated with my secretary before 5 pm.

It was an inspection activity to promote housing-first policy, and the secretary took a photo and posted it on Facebook (I deleted it because I was later contacted that photography was prohibited).

Also, when I confirmed later with Representative Toshiko Abe, who was the contact point with the NPO organization that accepted the visit, it was a promise that "up to five people". Negative photo shootings and up to 5 people are OK to participate in the Diet, so the NPO group who accepted it suddenly got a lot of men gathered at the scene of support for young girls. We sincerely apologize for having caused a great deal of anxiety and unpleasant thoughts.

It is also pointed out that I had sexual harassment, but I am moving back and forth in a narrow space, such as unloading materials from the bus and setting up tents using that material. Whether or not I put my hand on my waist while saying, “Go for a bit,” is completely unconscious. However, if that is the case, we are very sorry and we sincerely apologize.

What are your impressions of this visit? I would like to express my heartfelt homage to all of the organizations that usually and during this Coronal Era, help and snuggle up to help girls who can't stay home due to various reasons and leave the downtown area.

It is very difficult for the government to support and support such young girls, which is out of reach of the government, and it also helps prevent sexual violence and sexual crime. Some of the supporting members of NPOs were women who were involved, so it is necessary for them to support the support activities that they can do.

The purpose of the inspection by the Housing First Study Group is to "disseminate the voices and atmosphere of the field to many people, and to think about what can be done on site to expand support for the activities of the group."

Although it was unexpectedly reported in this way, it is not difficult to imagine that the wrinkling due to the coronal sword will directly hit street dwellers, net cafe refugees and young girls wandering around downtown, and it should be manageable, The members of the study group will continue their support activities in response to the thoughts of Representative Toshiko Abe who moved in early April.

• Thanks 1

I see political apologies know no cultural or language barriers. The paragraph before about a bunch of dudes gathering there is the Most Japan thing. I mean, those Stardom ticket buyers must be jonesing.

Edited by Oyaji

57 minutes ago, Flair’s Shadow said:

AEW is not announcing Okada for DON PPV because of the hurdles Okada has to go through to actually perform on May 23rd. “Mystery Man” is the perfect angle to put Okada on the card if he passes Covid-19 tests coming from Japan.

1 year ago Okada professed to watch Double or Nothing and he said it was fantastic. Okada and Jericho did a match together in Japan right after Jericho pinned Omega and right before Jericho became AEW Champion. Jericho put Okada over....and now Okada will come to AEW, with New Japan approval, and have his moment in the United States and win the ladder match. Okada will do the Dynamite show on May 27th and go back to Japan. Okada getting a AEW world title shot sometime down the road when we have crowds again. Okada vs Jericho, Okada vs Omega or Okada vs Moxley is probably what’s in store. 

New Japan had to come back to the table with Tony and Kenny. New Japan needed to create a partnership with Tony Khan to help ignite New Japan’s reach in the United States. Covid-19 was the disaster that created the opportunity.

When you do something like this....when you finally seal the deal on this epic, change the world type of deal...you go big. You go as big as you can.

Okada.

Is here. 

Just like how you didn’t know Mr. Brodie Lee was gonna be the number one contender, and challenger at Double Or Nothing. Oh wait who correctly predicted that, the night it happened? MavsFan77 remembers. 

As for the mystery participant I see it playing out like this. The first eight entrants are all brawling in the ring, and the timer stops for the final participant. The lights go out (because don’t they always for big AEW angles?), and the video screen goes black. A few moments pass with silence from the commentators then as the screen turns back on we hear a familiar, and villainous laugh over the PA system. Then the screen fully lights up, and we see the entrance video for a certain former member of The Elite and The Bullet Club. First it’s his umbrella, and then the camera pans out to show our favorite plague doctor, and he comes out, and goes on to win the ladder match.

And yes I know it seems highly unlikely, but it makes more sense than the rumors of Alexander Hammerstone did yesterday. Marty at least has history with all of the main players in the company, and a match with him versus Moxley for the title would be a good main event for All Out 2 (assuming they can hold of on it until then). Plus from everything I’ve read Marty is interested in having the two companies work together, and I don’t see what AEW would lose from it. 

I'd be cool with it being Ricky Starks even though it'd be a letdown in a sense, particularly for the majority of the fans. That guy is fucking great but he's not somebody you throw into a #1 contender's match without build. It really needs to be a decent name surprise, so my guess is Ryder. Or is there contract bullshit stopping that from happening?

Edited by Oyaji

4 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Does he normally provide daily updates on his whereabouts?

The last season Kevin Garnett was with the Timberwolves before he was traded the games had a thing called KG Cam. It was a camera on him at all times in the bottom right corner of the screen. I expect the same for Okada on Meltzer’s Twitter.

• Haha 2

Just check every burger joint in the Jacksonville area. I’m sure a hick would know if a huge Asian man with blond hair picked up a double from Five Guys. 

Is this the new “Undertaker Sightings” of today?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

59 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Just check every burger joint in the Jacksonville area. I’m sure a hick would know if a huge Asian man with blond hair picked up a double from Five Guys. 

Is this the new “Undertaker Sightings” of today?

Okada is under quarantine...until showtime this Saturday.

Its happening.

30 minutes ago, Flair’s Shadow said:

Okada is under quarantine...until showtime this Saturday.

Its happening.

Keep doubling on it. When it ends up being Marty, and I go 2-2 on my big predictions I expect to hear from you again. ? Especially as you’ll be what 1-1,004 at that point?

34 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

Keep doubling on it. When it ends up being Marty, and I go 2-2 on my big predictions I expect to hear from you again. ? Especially as you’ll be what 1-1,004 at that point?

Dude, you're ruining it! Stop raining on our parade.

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I'm hoping the mystery man is either "Hard Wood" Rich Mahogany or "No Gimmicks Needed" Steve the Samurai.  Both are true indy standouts who deserve their due.

Nope. "All Sack" Drew Gulak's time is now.

Either him or Dick "The Hammer" Dick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1