DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/13/2020

20 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I've never seen a stunner, figure four leglock, or irish whip into the ropes in a real fight, either.

Legit once saw a dude attempt a Stunner in a real life fight and I only wish I was joking. Landed on his arse and didn't hit shit which was a shame because I wanted to see the other dude do some Scott Hall or Rock style bump off it. Again, legit, I am not joking. 

Now if ever see some fucker do a People's Elbow or a Worm or some shit in a real life fight, well, shit...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

It hit me this morning that Ross, even though he's said some dumb stuff about the women in his tenure, has miraculously avoided saying something uncomfortable about Nyla Rose.  This gives me the impression that someone has definitely given him at least one strict line he can't cross.  That someone needs to give him a few more.  I don't need to hear how Statlander is built like a fucking linebacker.  Jesus Christ.

He DID call her "The King" one time after she won a match but that was more of a stumble than intentional...at least I'd hope so.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, caley said:

He DID call her "The King" one time after she won a match but that was more of a stumble than intentional...at least I'd hope so.

Yeah, he called her the king of the mountain or some such shit. I was willing to give him a pass on that until I realized how fucking easy it would have been to call her queen.

2 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

Yeah, he called her the king of the mountain or some such shit. I was willing to give him a pass on that until I realized how fucking easy it would have been to call her queen.

At the time, I had no idea of Nyla's orientation, so it surprised me when people were talking about it.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Is it possible that he might have been worried that calling Rose "queen" would also offend some people, given its past use as a slur? 

I guess that's a possibility,.

Is it possible that he might have been worried that calling Rose "queen" would also offend some people, given its past use as a slur? 

It certainly is, and that is also a point I had not considered. I just figured he was trying to put her over for what she had just done, and just made a choice of words that people can find a problem in, even if it was totally innocent on his part. 

It did lead to her calling herself "The Princess King" for a a couple of weeks, which is for real like the dopest fucking nickname I think I have ever heard, and something I would wear on a t-shirt in a heartbeat. Well, maybe not lead to, but I don't remember her ever calling herself that until after she won the title, and the "king of the mountain" deal was in the match she won the belt in.

Edited by grilledcheese

10 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

It certainly is, and that is also a point I had not considered. I just figured he was trying to put her over for what she had just done, and just made a choice of words that people can find a problem in, even if it was totally innocent on his part. 

As much as I pile on Ross, I think this was an innocent mistake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

As much as I pile on Ross, I think this was an innocent mistake.

As do I, which is why although I wish he would have gone the other way with his honorific, I didn't see it as a huge deal. It's silly because of the ease in which it could have been avoided, but I didn't consider it to be ill-intended. 

Doesn't seem quite fair how JR gets slammed over and over for being a naturally awkward old man while Jake Roberts gets a pass after humping a knocked out Brandi, and then furthering this cheap heat chauvinist character?   

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, AxB said:

Jake the Snake is a heel. JR isn't.

JR awkwardly talking about members of the women's roster isn't exactly what I would call a heel move.  Yeah, Roberts is a heel.  Thanks.  The comment was suggesting that perhaps the heel manuevers were ill conceived and not really the message any company would be wise to send its wide audience.  The chauvinist stuff doesn't anger me it makes me wish they'd try harder.    

Edited by HarryArchieGus

I don't think giving Jake Roberts a live mic in 2020 is a good idea at all.  In his heyday, saying gross shit like he did last week was just considered good heat.

Roberts is a heel saying what he thinks is the right thing to say to get a desired reaction.  Ross is a commentator who doesn't know how to talk about women in modern times.  Both are relics of bygone eras whose experience is in different promotions where this kind of thing is fine.  I don't know what the solution is outside of keeping Jake's comments to prerecorded spots and getting Ross off commentary or seriously giving him some pointers.  As I've mentioned, it's pretty clear that someone explained to him that Nyla Rose's transition is off limits, so the company is not averse to at least providing some guidelines.  Anyway, It's Tony Khan's decision to make but it's not getting any better.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

I'm fairly sure that social media perv JR is what he's actually like, and the "grumpy but lovable old guy" gimmick is something he tries to portray on TV (not necessarily successfully, either). Maybe he just seemed artificially nicer for so long because he was always sitting next to Lawler.

As far as Jake the Snake goes, either he doesn't know where the line is, or he thinks that crossing it is good for business. Let's just hope that the PPV finish isn't Sting running in with a Coal Miner's Glove.

• Like 1

I still think most of you guys are all way too hard on JR and also project on him a lot.

Jake's stuff the other week was really uncomfortable. That works in the 80s or early 90s. Dragging the snake by Brandi's waist and then straddling Brandi all felt very weird and sexual. I cringed because I just felt like it came off so bad. I don't think I want to see him do that again. I would have rather seen them wake Brandi up with the snake, have Brandi freak out and back herself into a corner, then have Jake scare Brandi even more by putting the snake in her face before she passed out from fear. 

Have Cody run-in on Jake with the Snake and  Archer before the whole thing takes weirdly long and all would have been just fine for me. Well, to be honest, even the way it happened I had zero problems with it, but I can see why people felt uncomfortable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I still think most of you guys are all way too hard on JR and also project on him a lot.

Jake's stuff the other week was really uncomfortable. That works in the 80s or early 90s. Dragging the snake by Brandi's waist and then straddling Brandi all felt very weird and sexual. I cringed because I just felt like it came off so bad. I don't think I want to see him do that again. I would have rather seen them wake Brandi up with the snake, have Brandi freak out and back herself into a corner, then have Jake scare Brandi even more by putting the snake in her face before she passed out from fear. 

Yeah, that was uncomfortable and to me they really over-thought all that.  It's like they felt to make extra sure Jake can't possibly be cheered let's have him cross the line.  And considering Brandi's promo stated that she's not a damsel in distress like others in the past I guess they felt this was their way to still get one over on Cody.  But fast forwarding to last Wednesday they seemingly doubled down with Jake's sexist comments that considering how wonderful a promo he is just felt lazy and uninspired.

All they had to do was just have Britt DDT her, throw her in the ring and then put the snake on her face.  That's it.  It establishes a possible feud with Baker, still shows Jake as a devious sonofabitch and Cody will still have plenty reason to be pissed the following week.  I just hope they at least don't use it in video packages but I have a feeling we'll see that leading up to Saturday.

How about not 'fridging women, period?  It's a cheap, dumb cliche, a lame storytelling shortcut, and has no place in a company that's supposed to be progressive.  Like does the character of Brandi Rhodes only exist to give Cody something to fight for?  That's weak.  I think people who criticize Ross' at times tone deaf commentary, and stuff like Jake semi-molesting Brandi for heat, do so because we expected AEW to be better than this.  To put it more bluntly, this is all some Vince shit and is not what I personally want to see. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I don't think giving Jake Roberts a live mic in 2020 is a good idea at all. 

I don't think it'd be a problem if the creative team took responsibility for their product.  Creative freedom is a great thing, but they gotta get better at checking in with the talent to make sure their idea works in achieving quality results.  Certainly AEW has benefitted from the hands off approach, but we're also seeing how it doesn't benefit them.  

I feel for modern heels, as likely any attempt to get heat means ... well ... getting heat from someone or another.

I don't see the better heels having a whole lot of trouble achieving heat.      

• Thanks 2