DVDVR Message Board

Jim Cornette's Garbage Tapes

DEAN

I didn't know that these were on Youtube.  These are the tapes Cornette fished out the dumpster when Jim Crockett was switching offices (I think that's the story.)  This one is pretty BlackJack Mulligan heavy to start with and has a really great Murdoch-Flair match.  EDIT:  There is an AWESOME Dick Murdoch match where he is wrestling face and KEN PATERA bumps all over the ring for him.  Second look at Ken Patera?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This one starts with Harley vs. Steamboat! I wish they had all the matches listed though. 

EDIT: Oh shit, at 1:39 we got Murdoch vs. Funk. Looks like there's also Greg Valentine vs. I think Kerry Von Erich, more Blackjack, Flair vs. Wahoo (bloody). 

Wait it isn't Funk, my eyes deceived me. I don't know who it is (and it isn't Dick Slater)

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

This one starts with Harley vs. Steamboat! I wish they had all the matches listed though. 

EDIT: Oh shit, at 1:39 we got Murdoch vs. Funk. Looks like there's also Greg Valentine vs. I think Kerry Von Erich, more Blackjack, Flair vs. Wahoo (bloody). 

Wait it isn't Funk, my eyes deceived me. I don't know who it is (and it isn't Dick Slater)

Volume 7

1. NWA World Championship: Harley Race vs. Ricky Steamboat (no finish)
2. David Crockett interviews Johnny Valentine (1974 — Valentine's introductory promo on coming to the Carolinas)
3. Paul Orndorff & Paul Jones vs. Greg Valentine & Baron Von Raschke
4. Blackjack Mulligan vs. Paul Jones
5. Blackjack Mulligan vs. Paul Jones
6. Ric Flair & Blackjack Mulligan vs. Baron Von Raschke & Paul Jones
7. Cage match — 1978:
Ric Flair vs. Blackjack Mulligan (Finish Only)
8. Two ring battle royal with Andre the Giant
9. Ric Flair vs. Wahoo McDaniel
(1975--early Flair before plane crash)
10. Ric Flair vs. Wahoo McDaniel (1977--distorted audio)
11. Ric Flair & Harley Race & Masked Superstar vs. Blackjack Mulligan & Dick Murdoch & Wahoo McDaniel (clipped)
12. Ric Flair vs. Dick Murdoch (1978)
13. Dick Murdoch vs. Cyclone Negro
14. Ricky Steamboat vs. Greg Valentine
15. Ric Flair vs. Greg Valentine (1980)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These are great. I only saw Mulligan in Florida in the '80s and he was the drizzling shits. Take ten years off and he's pretty damn fun, if repetitious.  And how about Andre being spry enough to run in and break up a pin?

Question: On the first one up top, is that Roughhouse Fargo reffing the Paul Jones-Paul Orndorff match?

2 minutes ago, LP Steve said:

Question: On the first one up top, is that Roughhouse Fargo reffing the Paul Jones-Paul Orndorff match?

I believe he was known as Sonny Fargo in Mid-Atlantic.

1 minute ago, DEAN said:

I believe he was known as Sonny Fargo in Mid-Atlantic.

Right. Just wanted confirmation that the nuthouse Jackie was signing him out of was the Greensboro Coliseum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Number  18 has two battle royals and I hate battle royals.  But there is an actual good battle royale when there is a Flair/Mulligan lumberjack match and all the lumberjacks storm the ring.  It has a real All Japan '85 feel to it.  There is a good Harley Race/Ricky Steamboat match- which has an ending despite what the matchlist says.  Your all star of this tape is the same all star from the other two tapes posted- Dick Murdoch.  Here he wrestles face and allows Baron Von Raschke to do what he does best, hilariously sell offense.

• Like 1

Number 10 has more oddities than good wrestling.  One wonders why Swede Hanson didn't beat the living dog crap out of  David Crockett in his only filmed match- instead Hanson carries him to a perfectly fine wrestling match.  The best match Greg Valentine versus Paul Orndorf (1:01).  Valentine lays it in and Orndorf responds by laying it in.  So they both lay it in.  Orndorf threw great punches.

First thing of note for tape 16 is that it says the third match Rudy Kay tagging with Don Kernodle but I'm pretty sure that's Abe Jacobs because he does a Kiwi Leg Roll to set up Kernodle's powerslam finisher.  I could be wrong.  BUT I'M NOT!  It's cool seeing the Missouri Mauler and Brute Bernard for the first time in 45 years.  They are as slow and methodical as every one else in Mid-Atlantic in the 70s.  The best match is Skandar Akbar vs Skip Young in what I'm assuming was one of Akbar's last matches since he retired to be a manager in 1977.  So yeah, no surprise super wrestlers on this one.

========================

1. RICHARD BLOOD (TITO SANTANA) VS. RUDY KAY 2. JOHNNY WEAVER & SKIP YOUNG VS. MR. X 1 & 2 3. BILL WHITE & BILL HOWARD VS. RUDY KAY & DON KERNODLE 4. TWO RING BATTLE ROYAL WITH ANDRE, ORNDORFF, SNUKA & LADD 5. KEN PATERA VS. JOHNNY WEAVER (DISTORTED AUDIO) 6. JOHNNY WEAVER VS. SWEDE HANSEN 7. MR. X VS. ?? 8. PEDRO MORALES & LES THORNTON VS. BRUTE BERNARD & MISSOURI MAULER 9. GREG VALENTINE VS. DINO BRAVO 10. GENE ANDERSON & SWEDE HANSEN VS. JAY YOUNGBLOOD & SKIP YOUNG 11. BIG JOHN STUDD VS. DINO BRAVO 12. RUFUS R JONES & DINO BRAVO VS. GENE ANDERSON & ?? 13. INTERVIEW OLE ANDERSON 14. INTERVIEW DORY FUNK JR (NO AUDIO) 15. KEN PATERA VS. JOHNNY WEAVER 16. RICKY STEAMBOAT VS. OLE ANDERSON (BAD FOCUS) 17. BATTLE ROYAL HIGHLIGHTS 18. INTERVIEW BLACKJACK MULLIGAN ON HORSEBACK 19. WAHOO McDANIEL WINS MATCH (REPEAT FROM DVD 14) 20. RICKY STEAMBOAT VS. RODDY PIPER (REPEAT FROM DVD 14) 21. BLACKJACK MULLIGAN ON HORSEBACK FOOTAGE 22. SKANDOR AKBAR VS. SKIP YOUNG 23. MR. X VS. ?? 24. TIM WOODS & JOHNY WEAVER VS. SKANDOR AKBAR & MR. X (REPEAT FROM DVD 13)

Number two is solid gold.  I forgot that Paul Jones used the Airplane Spin as a finisher until the first match.  That's a memory that is 45 years old.  The sixth match is awesome because I first remember watching wrestling when I was 3 or 4 years old- when my dad was stationed in Wichita Falls, Texas.  I remember Dusty Rhodes screaming and me being scared and hiding behind a couch cushion.  We moved back to Chesapeake, Virginia when I was 5, in 1971 and one of the first Mid-Atlantic wrestling memories is watching wrestling at my grandfather's house and Rip Hawk and Swede Hanson were wrestling.  In this match, they break the record for most tags in a match.  Johnny Weaver is a perfectly fine Ricky Morton.  I'm assuming that the Anderson brothers borrowed a lot of their psychology from Hawk and Hanson since they work over a body part pretty extensively- though the Andersons perfected it.  The Paul Orndorf/ Gene Anderson match is good because of Paul Orndorf's punches.  The Wahoo/SuperDestroyer match is a bumpfest as opposed to early 70's Mid-Atlantic Exercise is brutality, so it's differently awesome.  They do a cool Claw spot like a 1950's headlock. THEN he loads the glove!  Then Wahoo goes crazy!  OH MAN!  I remember this when it first came on TV!  I remember the unmasking and SuperDestroyer pulling the ref's shirt off.  I was so wee.  The world was so big and I was so small.  Your voice was always... the loudest of all....Then there is a lot of Steamboat versus Flair.

==================

1. RICKY STEAMBOAT  & PAUL JONES VS. BARON VON RASCHKE & CYCLON NEGRO 2. JIMMY SNUKA & PAUL ORNDORFF VS. GREG VALENTINE & BARON VON RASCHKE 3. PAUL ORNDORFF VS. GREG VALENTINE 4. PAUL ORNDORFF VS. GREG VALENTINE 5. JIMMY SNUKA & PAUL ORNDORF VS. GENE ANDERSON & JACQUES (RENE) GOULET 6. ATLANTIC COAST TAG TITLE--EARLY 70'S: RIP HAWK & SWEDE HANSEN VS. JOHNNY WEAVER & ART NEILSON 7. PAUL ORNDORFF VS. GENE ANDERSON 8. WAHOO MCDANIEL VS. SUPER DESTROYER (DON JARDINE) 9. RIC FLAIR & MASKED SUPERSTAR VS. RICKY STEAMBOAT & PAUL JONES 10. RIC FLAIR VS. RICKY STEAMBOAT (NO FINISH) 11. RIC FLAIR VS. RICKY STEAMBOAT (DISTORTED AUDIO) 12. GREENSBORO COLISEUM: RIC FLAIR & HARLEY RACE & MASKED SUPERSTAR VS. BLACKJACK MULLIGAN & DICK MURDOCH & WAHOO MCDANIEL (5:00 PART 1--PART 2 ON DVD 7, PART 3 ON DVD 1)

• Like 2

Volume 14 is a lot promos.  Its odd to watch pre-Flair promos.  He really added a lot of pizzazz to promos.  Pre-Flair, it was far more of sports interview.  Except the Super-Destroyer who blinks constantly like a psycho.  Then there are lots of Hagar slacks commercials to remind one that we are definitely in the 70's.  Paul Jones I'm noticing has really good punches sometimes.  Here, they look really good against Greg Valentine- THUS, Paul Jones throws good punches when he can lay them in.  Dick Murdoch hits the ring and hits more dropkicks than both Rock n Roll Express in the same amount of time.  Baron Von Raschke shows up to make the pin, so no hilarious selling, which is disappointing.  There is a great interview with the Masked Superstar and Boris Malenko about his suspension over shoving a cigar in the Mighty Igor's eye, one of the greatest all-time angles- second only to Wahoo stomping on Malenko's false teeth.   GREG VALENTINE VS WAHOO YOU NEED to WATCH RIGHT NOW (1:06:45).   Johnny Valentine does a really elaborate wristlock.

=================================================

1. LOCAL PROMO ROANOKE, VA SUPER DESTROYER (1974) 2. LOCAL PROMO ROANOKE, VA SONNY KING (1974) 3. INTERVIEW WAHOO MCDANIEL AT HOME WITH BROKEN LEG 4. JOHNNY VALENTINE & SUPER DESTROYER VS. SONNY KING & ???? (NO FINISH) 5. GORDON SOLIE INTERVIEWS EDDIE GRAHAM, DORY FUNK JR & JACK BRISCO RE: NWA WORLD TITLE MATCH IN GREENSBORO 6. BATTLE ROYAL HIGHLIGHTS W/ANDRE 7. DAVID CROCKETT INTERVIEWS WAHOO MCDANIEL (WAHOO'S FIRST PROMO COMING TO FACE JOHNNY VALENTINE 1974) 8. INTERVIEW SUPER DESTROYER 9. WAHOO MCDANIEL VS. GREG VALENTINE (NO FINISH) 10. INTERVIEW JACK BRISCO RE: DORY FUNK JR 11. JACK BRISCO DEFEATS MISSOURI MAULER (:30 CLIP) 12. INTERVIEW BOB BRUGGERS 13. OLE ANDERSON & GENE ANDERSON VS. NELSON ROYAL & ???? (NO FINISH) 14. BATTLE ROYAL HIGHLIGHTS WITH ANDRE & HAYSTACKS CALHOUN 15. SONNY KING TRAINING ON PUNCHING BAG 16. HAYSTACKS CALHOUN VS. SUPER DESTROYER (SWEDE INTERFERES) 17. LOCAL PROMO LYNCHBURG, VA SONNY KING 18. LOCAL PROMO LYNCHBURG, VA JOHNNY VALENTINE & SUPER DESTROYER 19. HAGGAR SLACKS TV SPOTS 20. WAHOO MCDANIEL & LEE TREVINO IN GOLF TOURNAMENT (NO AUDIO) 21. GREG VALENTINE & BARON VON RASCHKE VS. DICK MURDOCH & PAUL JONES 22. INTERVIEW LES THATCHER W/MASKED SUPERSTAR & BORIS MALENKO 1976 23. EVEL KNIEVEL JUMPING CAESAR'S PALACE FOUNTAIN 24. BATTLE ROYAL HIGHLIGHTS 25. BRIEF HOME MOVIES UNKNOWN 26. WAHOO MCDANIEL VS. GREG VALENTINE 27. JOHNNY VALENTINE VS. BOB BRUGGERS (1974--NO FINISH) 28. PAUL ORNDORFF VS. CHRIS TOLOS 29. DAVID CROCKETT INTERVIEWS JOHNNY WEAVER 

• Like 1

After skipping around in that, it is apparent to me that everybody talking on wrestling shows in the '70s were wooden. Either that or they were being held at gunpoint. My God, even David who was so natural and a lovable goofy bastard by the mid '80s came off as so uncomfortable here. 

• Like 1

Volume 3 starts with two really great early 70's matches.  Dory Funk Jr and Johnny Weaver look better than I've ever seen them- so both of their peaks were around 1973, I'm figuring.  Dory wrestles NWA Champion style: heelish but you respect it because has to keep the belt.  I'm assuming it went Broadway because they have so many finishers before it cuts off.  Then there is Jerry Brisco against the Super Destroyer- and it is awesome.   The beat the hell out of each other and THEN- ref bump!  Loaded mask!  Headbutt! CLAW!  Very awesome.  Wahoo and Kim Duk approximate Kobashi and Samoa Joe for a few minutes- but the blood from Gene Anderson and Sandy Scott from their cage match is the most hardcore thing on this.  Then Ole and Nelson Royal bring the plasma.  Awesomely, there is puddle of blood in the Andersons' corner.  Postmatch, the Minnesota Wrecking Crew beats the crap out of the ref and then beat on Sandy Scott.  I'm glad there is some good Minnesota Wrecking Crew on this, because they were quite a large part of my childhood.  Then there is an odd match with them wrestling as faces against Flair and Valentine.  I'm assuming that must have been sometime between 1976 and early 1978, because I don't ever remember anybody ever cheering for the Anderson Brothers.  Jesus Christ, is Flair a bloody mess in that.  This one is quality.

EDIT:  Watch the Greg Valentine/BlackJack Mulligan match.  They beat the living dogshit out of each other.

===========================================

1. U.S. CHAMPIONSHIP--COLUMBIA, SC--1978: RIC FLAIR VS. RICKY STEAMBOAT 2. NWA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP--1973: DORY FUNK JR VS. JOHNNY WEAVER (NO FINISH) 3. JERRY BRISCO VS. THE SPOILER (DON JARDINE) 4. BARON VON RASCHKE VS. JOHNNY WEAVER 5. RICKY STEAMBOAT VS. GREG VALENTINE (9/23/78) 6. WAHOO MCDANIEL VS. KIM DUK 7. BLACKJACK MULLIGAN VS. BIG JOHN STUDD 8. CAGE MATCH--GREENVILLE, SC--1974: OLE ANDERSON & GENE ANDERSON VS. NELSON ROYAL & SANDY SCOTT 9. RIC FLAIR & GREG VALENTINE VS. OLE ANDERSON & GENE ANDERSON (NO FINISH) 10. IVAN KOLOFF VS. PAUL JONES 11. MASKED SUPERSTAR VS. PAUL JONES 12. BLACKJACK MULLIGAN VS. GREG VALENTINE 13. CAGE MATCH: JOHNNY VALENTINE VS. PAUL JONES

Allright!  Back to these things.  I haven't watch the mighty Igor wrestle in 44 years.  After being reacquainted with him,  I can't imagine how horrendous the matches with Bulldog Brower were.  The face Anderson brothers wrestle like the heel Anderson brothers- as they wrench Flair's arm from the socket, including the truly awesome toperope kneedrop  onto the shoulder. I'm noticing that Paul Orndorf is the secret superstar of these tapes.  His tagteam with Snuka was pretty great.  Oh man, the Superfly Splash is still awesome as the first time I saw it at age 11.  Flair and Valentine's Decapitation was awesome years before Demolition did it.  The Minnesota Wrecking Crew crushing the arm of Paul Orndorf took me back to elementary school and the Andersons killing someone every Saturday night.  Man, their offense was nasty.  Jimmy Snuka is the world's greatest Robert Gibson on the hot tag.  Snuka vs Greg Valentine is a good example of the Mid-Atlantic tradition of laying it in. Heel Snuka versus face Flair is a fucking molten bloodbath.  You've watched the Johnny Valentine/ Wahoo McDaniel match already if you consider yourself a wrestling fan.

=======================================

1. MIGHTY IGOR VS. MASKED SUPERSTAR W/BORIS MALENKO (12/10/76) 2. NWA WORLD TAG TITLE: RIC FLAIR & GREG VALENTINE VS. OLE ANDERSON & GENE ANDERSON (1977) 3. MIGHTY IGOR VS. MASKED SUPERSTAR 4. LUMBERJACK MATCH: RIC FLAIR & GREG VALENTINE VS. WAHOO MCDANIEL & OLE ANDERSON (NO FINISH) 5. CAGE MATCH--WORLD TAG TITLE--5/8/77: (WAHOO McDANIEL REFEREE) RIC FLAIR & GREG VALENTINE VS. OLE ANDERSON & GENE ANDERSON 6. NWA WORLD TAG TITLE: RIC FLAIR & GREG VALENTINE VS. JIMMY SNUKA & PAUL ORNDORFF 7. RIC FLAIR & BIG JOHN STUDD VS. JIMMY SNUKA & PAUL ORNDORFF 8. NWA WORLD TAG TITLE--GREENSBORO--1/28/79: RIC FLAIR & GREG VALENTINE VS. JIMMY SNUKA & PAUL ORNDORFF 9. OLE ANDERSON & GENE ANDERSON VS. JIMMY SNUKA & PAUL ORNDORFF (NO FINISH) 10. JIMMY SNUKA VS. GREG VALENTINE 11. RIC FLAIR VS. JIMMY SNUKA (2/11/79) 12. JOHNNY VALENTINE VS. WAHOO MCDANIEL (1974--VIDEO JUMPS)

Here's number one.  The Buddy Colt/ Johnny Walker match is rugged.  Walker fucking lays it in.  The Murdock/ Paul Jones match is fucking AWESOME.  Ron Fuller makes the battle royale truly awesome.  Hmmmm, Ron Fuller, saviour of the boring battle royale.  Paul Jones turns on Blackjack Mulligan in the oldest school way.  So great.

===============================

1. BLACKJACK MULLIGAN VS. BIG JOHN STUDD 2. RICKY STEAMBOAT VS. BIG JOHN STUDD 3. GORDON SOLIE INTROS TAPES FROM FLORIDA, ALL WITH SOLIE COMMENTARY 1972/73: GREENSBORO COLISEUM 1978: • STAN HANSEN (ROOKIE) VS. TOSH TOGO • BUDDY COLT VS. JOHNNY WALKER (MR WRESTLING 2) • EDDIE & MIKE GRAHAM VS. THE MEDICS • DICK MURDOCH VS. PAUL JONES • 19 MAN BATTLE ROYAL • TONY CHARLES VS. JIM BROOKS • JACK BRISCO VS. BOBBY SHANE 4. RIC FLAIR & HARLEY RACE & MASKED SUPERSTAR VS. BLACKJACK MULLIGAN & DICK MURDOCH & WAHOO MCDANIEL (3:00 PART 3 OF MATCH--PART 1 ON DVD 2, PART 2 ON DVD 7--1978) 5. RICKY STEAMBOAT VS. BIG JOHN STUDD 6. BLACKJACK MULLIGAN & PAUL JONES VS. GREG VALENTINE & BARON VON RASCHKE 7. BLACKJACK MULLIGAN VS. BARON VON RASCHKE 8. FLORENCE, SC 7/7/78: ANDRE THE GIANT VS. MASKED SUPERSTAR (NO FINISH) 9. OLE ANDERSON & GENE ANDERSON & ART NEILSON VS. RIP HAWK & SWEDE HANSEN & GARY HART 10. RICKY STEAMBOAT VS. PAUL JONES 11. RICKY STEAMBOAT VS. KEN PATERA

Number 17 is down to two Crusher Blackwell and Ciclon Negro tag matches.  Man, what a great bumping heel tagteam.  I'm glad that Brute Bernard is on the Mid-Atlantic episode, since I remember him from my time being a young punk, I always dug his craziness.  Snuka sold a huge wad for Brute's bland partner, Frank Monte, which seems odd-  but that was 70's studio wrestling.  Ric Flair was embryonically becoming  masterful ON THE STICK~! so much that Big John Stud is left kinda speechless having to follow him.  The only problem I have with the second Blackwell/Negro match is that don't beat the living dogshit out of Johnny Weaver like a true Mid-Atlantic wrestling fan would want.

1. WORLD WIDE WRESTLING 3/21/79 COMPLETE TV SHOW: • ERNIE LADD & JOHN STUDD VS. JOHNNY WEAVER & HERB GALLANT • NTERVIEW RICKY STEAMBOAT • RICKY STEAMBOAT VS. SWEDE HANSEN • INTERVIEW SNUKA & ORNDORFF • BARON VON RASCHKE & PAUL JONES VS. PEDRO MORALES & STEVE REGAL • RIC FLAIR VS. NICK DECARLO • INTERVIEW JONES & VON RASCHKE • JIMMY SNUKA & PAUL ORNDORFF VS. BRUTE BERNARD & FRANK MONTE • INTERVIEW RIC FLAIR, ERNIE LADD & JOHN STUDD 2. GREG VALENTINE VS. DON KERNODLE 3. CRUSHER BLACKWELL & CYCLON NEGRO VS. TONY ATLAS & JAY YOUNGBLOOD 4. BLACKJACK MULLIGAN & MASKED SUPERSTAR VS. MIGHTY IGOR & KEN PATERA (1976--NO FINISH) 5. CRUSHER BLACKWELL & CYCLON NEGRO VS. JOHNNY WEAVER & JAY YOUNGBLOOD

20 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

How many times did Paul Jones turn heel? Did he babyface after the above tape's timeframe and then turn heel again for his Hitlerish Paul Jones Army v. BWMJValiant endless program? Did he retire a heel or get a last face run?

- RAF

Don't quote me on this because I was in and out of Mid-Atlantic wrestling a little bit during the time frame, but I don't think he ever turned back face.  And I wish to GOD that there was footage of Baron Von Raschke wearing the wig.

PAUL JONES:  The ladies are going CRAZY over the Baron's new hairstyle!

Bob Caudle:  Well, Paul,  it's obviously a wig!

BARON VON RASCHKE:  It is not a vig. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've watched more Baron von Raschke this year than any year since I watched this stuff as it happened.  His match against Mr Wrestling Tim Woods reminds me that Woods was a total bloodsucking freak.  I remember when he was feuding with the Andersons and he held up his mask coated in dried blood because Ole wore a cast in the match or something.  Ah, to be nine again.

===================================

1. RUDY KAY & CHRIS TOLOS VS. JERRY OATES & TED OATES 2. BATTLE ROYAL HIGHLIGHTS ANDRE, DUSTY, WAHOO, HAYSTACKS CALHOUN 3. INTERVIEW SWEDE HANSEN & TIGER CONWAY 4. INTERVIEW RIC FLAIR AND RIP HAWK 1974 (POSSIBLY FLAIR'S INTRO PROMO TO CAROLINAS?) 5. ROBERTO SOTO VS. FRANK MONTE 6. BIG JOHN STUDD VS. TED OATES 7. ABE JACOBS VS. CHARLIE FULTON (DISTORTED AUDIO) 8. MR. X 1 & 2 VS. JERRY & TED OATES 9. BARON VON RASCHKE VS. "MR WRESTLING" TIM WOODS 10. SKIP YOUNG VS. MR. X #1 11. STEVE REGAL VS. FRANK MONTE 12. SWEDE HANSEN VS. STEVE TRAVIS 13. SWEDE HANSON & MR. X VS. JERRY & TED OATES 14. JAY YOUNGBLOOD & JOHNNY WEAVER VS. BRUTE BERNARD & SWEDE HANSEN 15. GYM WORKOUT VALENTINE, PATERA & MONTE 16. INTERVIEW KEN PATERA WITH WEIGHTLIFTING TROPHIES 17. JAN NELSON VS. TIGER CONWAY (DISTORTED AUDIO) 18. GENE ANDERSON & JACQUES GOULET VS. SWEDE HANSEN & ROBERTO SOTO

I don't know what Jim Cornette is talking about in regards to Rufus R Freight Train Jones.  He fucking ruled in the mid-70s.  He did the greatest 70s stereotype thing of slamming Swede Hansen and Jacque Goulet's heads together but Rufus puts his own head in the middle- THUS double headbutting them.  His punches were awesome. So much to be baffled by. 10 year old me would totally approve.  This one has a battle of two of the most underrated guys on these- Ciclon Negro and Jay Youngblood.  Man, Ciclon is so awesome.  GREATEST PUNCHES EVER.  AND DICK MURDOCK IS ON THESE TAPES.  Ciclon is ssooooo great during Youngblood's comeback.  What a great heel- offense of sheer brutality and then selling like a king.  I think the match where I was smartened up that wrestling was fake was BlackJack Mulligan versus Bobo Brazil live at the Norfolk Scope because Bobo's punches were so shitty that there was no excuse for them.

1. "MR WRESTLING" TIM WOODS & JOHNNY WEAVER VS. SKANDOR AKBAR & MR. X  2. GYM WORKOUT FOOTAGE STEAMBOAT, WOODS, TIGER CONWAY, WEAVER; 3. GENE ANDERSON & JACQUES GOULET VS. JERRY OATES & TED OATES; 4. SWEDE HANSEN & RUDY KAY VS. HERB GALLANT & GARY YOUNG; 5. SWEDE HANSEN & JACQUES GOULET VS. RUFUS R JONES & JOHNNY WEAVER;  6.STEVE REGAL VS. CHARLIE FULTON ; 7.JAY YOUNGBLOOD VS. CYCLONE NEGRO;  8. SKANDOR AKBAR & BILL WHITE VS. JERRY OATES & TED OATES;  9. DON KERNODLE VS. BILL WHITE;  10. SKIP YOUNG VS. JACQUES GOULET;  11. "MR WRESTLING" TIM WOODS & SKIP YOUNG VS. JACQUES GOULET & MR. X;  12. JAY YOUNGBLOOD & JOHNNY WEAVER VS. SWEDE HANSEN & CHRIS TOLOS; 13. RICHARD BLOOD (TITO SANTANA) VS. MR. X;  14. BLACKJACK MULLIGAN VS. BOBO BRAZIL (NO FINISH--DISTORTED AUDIO); 15. SKIP YOUNG & JAY YOUNGBLOOD VS. GENE ANDERSON & SWEDE HANSEN (DISTORTED AUDIO);  16. INTERVIEW OLE ANDERSON RE: FLAIR & VALENTINE

Flair and Steamboat in 1978 is pretty great.  Flair with blood contrasting to his bleach blond hair is as much of my childhood as G I Joe with Kung Fu grip.  OH MAN, Wahoo versus Super Destroyer is fucking awesome.  Sure, it's stiff but it's more about Wahoo bumping like a total freak.  I saw a version of Harley Race vs Dick Murdoch in Little Rock, Arka....yeah yeah you know the drill.

1. BLACKJACK MULLIGAN VS. BOBBY DUNCUM 2. RICKY STEAMBOAT VS. THE IRON SHEIK 3. RIC FLAIR & HARLEY RACE & MASKED SUPERSTAR VS. BLACKJACK MULLIGAN & DICK MURDOCH & WAHOO MCDANIEL (REPEAT FROM DVD 2) 4. RIC FLAIR VS. RICKY STEAMBOAT (1978) 5. RIC FLAIR VS. RICKY STEAMBOAT (NO FINISH) 6. RIC FLAIR & MASKED SUPERSTAR VS. RICKY STEAMBOAT & PAUL JONES (REPEAT FROM DVD 2) 7. WAHOO MCDANIEL VS. THE SPOILER 8. PAUL ORNDORFF VS. GENE ANDERSON 9. RIP HAWK & SWEDE HANSEN VS. JOHNNY WEAVER & GEORGE BECKER (EARLY 70'S?--NO FINISH) 10. JIMMY SNUKA & PAUL ORNDORFF VS. GENE ANDERSON & JACQUES (RENE) GOULET 11. PAUL ORNDORFF VS. GREG VALENTINE 12. JIMMY SNUKA & PAUL ORNDORFF VS. GREG VALENTINE & BARON VON RASCHKE 13. JIMMY SNUKA & PAUL ORNDORFF VS. GREG VALENTINE & BARON VON RASCHKE 14. JIMMY SNUKA & BIG JOHN STUDD & "NATURE BOY" BUDDY ROGERS VS. JAY YOUNGBLOOD & RUFUS R. JONES & S.D. JONES (1978--ROGERS' LAST COMEBACK AS A WRESTLER) 15. NICK BOCKWINKLE VS. JIM BRUNZELL (NO FINISH) 16. JIMMY SNUKA VS. GREG VALENTINE 17. CRUSHER BLACKWELL VS. DICK MURDOCH 18. BLACKJACK MULLIGAN VS. MASKED SUPERSTAR 19. NWA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP--1978: HARLEY RACE VS. DICK MURDOCH 20. ANDRE THE GIANT VS. MASKED SUPERSTAR (REPEAT FROM DVD 1)

• Thanks 1