DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 28: Smith vs. Teixeira (5/13/2020) - Jacksonville, FL (VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

This is fun but holy shit, Smith just freezes up when people get on the inside. He has a lot of good weapons but mentality and defense hold him back.

edit: Herzog is the best. 

Edited by Oyaji

Seriously. This was some serious Mario "If he dies he dies" Yamasaki level shit. And his corner men are rightly getting slated for not throwing in the towel.

• Thanks 1

That was really sad. I don't get why MMA corners pretty much refuse to stop fights. Boxers retire in the corner all the damn time. Great fighters too and they don't have grown men laying on them throwing elbows at their heads.

4 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Seriously. This was some serious Mario "If he dies he dies" Yamasaki level shit. And his corner men are rightly getting slated for not throwing in the towel.

I disagree. Herzog let the fight continue and Smith was defending himself and throwing back. There wasn't a clear moment where Glover threw a bunch of unanswered punches consecutively. That was more on the corner not the referee.

To clarify, Smith was consistently tucking his head and chin and defending the submission. He had nothing left but that's not something the referee can call the fight for. That's the corner's job. 

Teeth, orbital bone, concussion... What else we guessing?

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That was really sad. I don't get why MMA corners pretty much refuse to stop fights. Boxers retire in the corner all the damn time. Great fighters too and they don't have grown men laying on them throwing elbows at their heads.

I disagree. Herzog let the fight continue and Smith was defending himself and throwing back. There wasn't a clear moment where Glover threw a bunch of unanswered punches consecutively. That was more on the corner not the referee.

Watching it he was technically defending himself but was just taking tons of punishment and letting it continue did him no favors. My mentality has always been fighter safety so I would always rather see a fight stopped too soon rather than too late (particularly when it was clear the outcome wasn't in doubt). And yes the guy's corner messed up bad not throwing in the towel.

8 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Plus, as Felder noted on commentary, Glover bailed him out by going for takedowns after having him on the proverbial ropes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Plus, as Felder noted on commentary, Glover bailed him out by going for takedowns after having him on the proverbial ropes.

Very good point. I had absolutely no idea why he did that unless he had hurt his hand or something. He was basically target practice at that point.

Also marked out for the shoutout to the Hat City, DANBURY REPRESENT!!!

Edited by sabremike

i just hope when they do the first Fight Island card, they go all out.

i want the octagon directly on the beach. or somewhere that's reminiscent of the first Jungle Fights card. or something equally ambitious/insane. memorable and crazy. live up to the hype!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Might not watch the fight. Sounds like the referee or Smith's corner needed to stop the fight sooner.

They definitely (the corner) should have stopped it after the fourth round. Smith said clearly that his teeth were falling out, and you could tell his orbital bone was f’d up. Dana White was rightfully upset that the corner and ref didn’t do more to protect Smith.

My issue was as President of UFC, and someone that supposedly values fighter safety why didn’t Dana go to the corner after the fourth, and suggest they throw in the towel? He was standing at cageside, and it was clear Smith had less than a 1% chance of surviving let alone winning the fight in the fifth round. 

10 hours ago, sabremike said:

Very good point. I had absolutely no idea why he did that unless he had hurt his hand or something. He was basically target practice at that point.

Also marked out for the shoutout to the Hat City, DANBURY REPRESENT!!!

As for why he kept doing that I felt it was clear once the fight was stopped, and he helped Smith up that the reason he kept going for takedowns was to not hurt him worse. The third round was clearly 10-8, and I’m not sure the fourth wasn’t 10-7, so what was the point in inflicting more and possible permanent damage on a guy you respect? Now after reading the twitter comments from the “champion” in that weight class I hope somebody finally lays his ass out, and doesn’t stop until the ref pulls them off of him. He’s a pure piece of crap. Talking shit about Smith when he didn’t do half the damage to him that Glover did. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

They definitely (the corner) should have stopped it after the fourth round. Smith said clearly that his teeth were falling out, and you could tell his orbital bone was f’d up. Dana White was rightfully upset that the corner and ref didn’t do more to protect Smith.

My issue was as President of UFC, and someone that supposedly values fighter safety why didn’t Dana go to the corner after the fourth, and suggest they throw in the towel? He was standing at cageside, and it was clear Smith had less than a 1% chance of surviving let alone winning the fight in the fifth round. 

As for why he kept doing that I felt it was clear once the fight was stopped, and he helped Smith up that the reason he kept going for takedowns was to not hurt him worse. The third round was clearly 10-8, and I’m not sure the fourth wasn’t 10-7, so what was the point in inflicting more and possible permanent damage on a guy you respect? Now after reading the twitter comments from the “champion” in that weight class I hope somebody finally lays his ass out, and doesn’t stop until the ref pulls them off of him. He’s a pure piece of crap. Talking shit about Smith when he didn’t do half the damage to him that Glover did. 

It's bad enough when the referee doesn't protect a fighter from themselves, it's even worse when your own corner who supposed to be looking out for your best interests don't. I hate Jon Jones. I can only say that for a few MMA fighters. Jones is a repeat offender fuckup, he's pissed hot a number of times and that removes you from GOAT talk. Felt Gus, Santos and especially Reyes beat him. Fuck Jon Jones.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 2

Again, I haven't seen the fight (think I'll have to) but Smith is protecting his corner but the corner neglected to do the same for Smith. There was a Bellator fight and Big John McCarthy on commentary was pissed at the referee and the corner for not stopping the fight sooner.

Edited by The Natural

The one obvious spot in the fight where Herzog could've stopped it was before the ass beating got really bad in the 3rd I want to say and Smith recovered to the point he was landing huge shots on Glover that could've ended the fight. Maybe I'm being overly defensive because I think Herzog is the best referee in the sport but after that point, Smith always responded to Herzog's demands to intelligently defend himself making it difficult for the ref to stop the fight. I'm always on the side of rather ending a fight too prematurely than too late but there wasn't a stretch where technically it made sense for Jason to stop it even though I don't think anybody would have complained if he did when Glover was landing some shots here and there in either 4 or 5. Herzog's track record of stoppages is the best in the sport and maybe he learns from this and stops it at a less obvious spot if something like this happens again. 

Everybody and their grandma knew the Smith statement was coming. Of course he'll say that. But we are not basing our criticism of the corner for not stopping the fight for what Smith wants. Fighters are almost always going to want to continue just like injured athletes in mainstream sports are going to want to play hurt. At that point it shouldn't be up to them. Their coaches and medical teams should step in to protect them. Hopefully MMA can get over the hero crap of not wanting to quit in between rounds like boxing has for decades. Fuck the criticism of 'no mas'. If you're done, you're done. Taking life altering damage for no good reason is dumb. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

It's bad enough when the referee doesn't protect a fighter from themselves, it's even worse when your own corner who supposed to be looking out for your best interests don't. I hate Jon Jones. I can only say that for a few MMA fighters. Jones is a repeat offender fuckup, he's pissed hot a number of times and that removes you from GOAT talk. Felt Gus, Santos and especially Reyes beat him. Fuck Jon Jones.

I couldn’t agree more about Fuck Jon Jones, and this is coming from someone that lives in the general area Jon is originally from, and that had multiple co-workers who went to high school with Jon and his brothers. It’s funny hearing how great Chandler was, and then hearing that even in school Jon was the same way he is on Twitter. I remember one day he came into our store when he was visiting town, and got offended that our sub maker didn’t know who he was. To which I said they should have invited him to my department, and I would’ve been happy to tell him what a jackass I think he is (the manager we had on that day was a huge UFC fan too, and knew how bad I dislike that POS).

As for the guys that you feel beat him I’d say I agree Reyes beat him the most convincingly, then I’d put Gus second, and Santos third only because of how badly Gus hurt him. I was so pissed when he had nothing for Jon the second time.

• Thanks 1

I would very much like to see Jones fight both Reyes and Santos again. Anderson may have another two big wins under his belt by that point and could be another legit contender. After that, if Jones makes it through those three, I could see him going up to the big boys. As good as he is, he does take some clean shots. What would a Ngannou/Jones fight look like? 

5 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

I couldn’t agree more about Fuck Jon Jones, and this is coming from someone that lives in the general area Jon is originally from, and that had multiple co-workers who went to high school with Jon and his brothers. It’s funny hearing how great Chandler was, and then hearing that even in school Jon was the same way he is on Twitter. I remember one day he came into our store when he was visiting town, and got offended that our sub maker didn’t know who he was. To which I said they should have invited him to my department, and I would’ve been happy to tell him what a jackass I think he is (the manager we had on that day was a huge UFC fan too, and knew how bad I dislike that POS).

As for the guys that you feel beat him I’d say I agree Reyes beat him the most convincingly, then I’d put Gus second, and Santos third only because of how badly Gus hurt him. I was so pissed when he had nothing for Jon the second time.

There's always one who thinks he/she is bigger than what they are. Nice to have another member in the Fuck Jon Jones camp. Jones/Gus 2 was so disappointing considering the first fight is one of the best in MMA history, Gus' performance in that fight and Nunes/Cyborg co-main event stole the show. That's one of my favourite fights ever, I was physically shaking reacting to Nunes destroying Cyborg in less that a minute. I watched the fight again yesterday.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I would very much like to see Jones fight both Reyes and Santos again. Anderson may have another two big wins under his belt by that point and could be another legit contender. After that, if Jones makes it through those three, I could see him going up to the big boys. As good as he is, he does take some clean shots. What would a Ngannou/Jones fight look like? 

Man, I'd fucking love a repeat:

See the source image

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MavsFan77 said:

Talking shit about Smith when he didn’t do half the damage to him that Glover did. 

Anthony Smith was in defense mode like 75% of that fight against Jon. If he would have fought Jon like he did Glover, he would have gotten finished in like round 2. I like Anthony. I was the only one who was touting how good he was prior to him going on the run that he did. However, going into the fight last night, it's not like he had any chance of fighting Jon anytime soon because he wasted his opportunity against Jon Jones. You've worked that hard to get in position to challenge for a UFC title, and you basically don't anything against Jon. That's on Anthony. Even if you don't agree with Jon making fun of Anthony getting his house broken into, that don't change the fact that Anthony basically spent an entire in the MMA version of prevent defense. If you do that, hell yeah, you're going to last all twenty five minutes. Look at Valentina vs. Liz Carmouche. Carmouche did that and she got cut not long after. You can criticize Jon without revisionist history.

• Like 1

• RIPPA unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...