DVDVR Message Board

Straight-up Squash Matches

On 6/7/2021 at 9:39 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

We need to talk about the time Scott Steiner Dragon Suplex'd Louie Spicolli into another dimension.

I like how JR puts over everybody’s football background, usually their college football background, but when it’s a Steiners match he puts over their DE-GREE! And he sells it like DE-GREE so the heel announcer insulting them KNOWS!

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2021 at 5:46 AM, Morganti said:

Koko treated that jobber like he was tryna get reparations for everyone out of him.

Maybe the jobber in question just tried to smarten Koko up by telling him "Look, if you take that WWF offer, you'll probably end up never winning a meaningful match during your entire tenure there!"

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Maybe the jobber in question just tried to smarten Koko up by telling him "Look, if you take that WWF offer, you'll probably end up never winning a meaningful match during your entire tenure there!"

“Wrestlers are a lot taller outside of Memphis!”

My theory about a history professor I had who was from Tennessee and once referred to Lucha during a class (since he spent time in Mexico pursuing his interest in Imperial Spain) involves similarities between Tennessee wrestling and Lucha. Both Mexico and Memphis had their share of shortish dudes with good punches and I’m sure that Koko could have had some fun in Mexico.

Also the piledriver is death is both the Mid-South Coliseum and Arena Mexico.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
On 8/15/2021 at 8:59 AM, Wyld Samurai said:

Man that was a mugging. I wonder what set Koko off. He wasnt pulling anything.

I'm going to take a guess and assume that it's because the masked guy pushed Koko into the corner. How many squash matches start with the enhancement talent pushing the name into the corner? I'd be willing to bet it was 1) not called by Koko and 2) what set him off because the live rounds start coming immediately when an opening comes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

If this was posted forgive me but I saw many SST videos here were unavailable now. This is just so awesome. I remember watching this as a youngun knowing it was what we grew up to call a squash, yet I watched it from the start just to see what the actual heck would happen next. It was 2:57 and it felt like forever. Best sub 3 minute match ever lol!

• Like 5

I mean psychology even in 2:57...going for leap frog stand still twice in a row and nope. Not going to work against the SST. 

Also I miss heels coming down the plain concrete or wood aisle out of the darkness surrounded by security, who went back and forth between protecting the wrestlers because the fans wanted to kill them and protecting the fans because they were scared that the wrestlers might kill them. And managers raising hell the whole time like it was no big deal from the time they appeared, through the match and to the time that they disappeared. 

• Like 2