DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

On 5/8/2020 at 9:42 PM, Casey said:

I was looking at the Deluxe edition since it has all the DLC, and for most CAWs you need them. Plus it has characters that would be nice to have. I’m sure I can find a decent price on eBay for that edition if I really searched. Might do that this weekend at work, actually.

Definitely get the deluxe. I bought the basic version in my ignorance then ended up paying through the nose to get all the addons to get the best caws of the likes of Jack Brisco and Stan Hansen ?

Retromania finally announced the full roster:

The last three were Nikita Koloff, Brian Myers and Matt Cardona. Which raises questions in my mind.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AxB said:

The last three were Nikita Koloff, Brian Myers and Matt Cardona. Which raises questions in my mind.

I'm pretty sure they knew the writing was on the wall well before they got cut.  Them putting stuff for their podcast on Pro Wrestling Tees (and the podcast in general for that matter) seemed like a safety net for them since they weren't getting used much.  And since they weren't used in the empty arena shows I guess they figured to be part of this just in case.  If they were still with WWE then they just wouldn't put them in the game though I don't know if this is a legal issue or not.  I want to say not but either way I can't wait to play this game.

Yeah, but the studio had said for ages that they were going to release the last three names soon, and Myers and Cardona were under WWE contract the whole time. What if they hadn't been released?

Also, if they were waiting for people to be free from WWE exclusivity, why go for those two when Sting would be a much better fit?

Just giving him a plug since he's an awesome and helpful dude...Oliver rebuilt TNM to run on newer versions of Windows and it's up now on tnm7.com.  Not sure why, since I doubt he makes any money from it.  I emailed him asking for codes figuring full well he'd be unable to send them (email address issues) and I'd planned on just re-buying it, but he replied in like 20 minutes with the codes.  Anyway, if you want to go really old school, it's back and either for sale or for DL if you've bought it in the past.

• Like 2

I feel shitty for saying this and I doubt I'm alone, but I never paid for TNM7. It was pretty big on IRC as it was used for efeds and all of that and cracking it was really easy. I almost feel like I should buy it now since I have the money for it and email Oliver to apologize.

• Haha 1

I bought 7 when it very first came out in like 2000 for $34.99, then it eventually quit working and I was never able to get a fix. Never got much into it once they removed all the wrestlers and you had to import them in. But the original 6.2 version was always my favorite and the best, still have that one on an old comp. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, they've been signing people left and right for what feels like a few years now. The models look really good, but they haven't shown much of anything. Crazy fucking roster, though.

On 5/15/2020 at 11:14 PM, Tromatagon said:

If they weren't released, they would have worn masks and pretended they were just guys that sort of look like them like the action figures they'd been doing under contract.

This may be old news at this point, but I saw they announced someone as DLC, so I wonder if they added Cardona and Myers at the last minute and bumped two of the last guys to DLC.

I tried a number of times to connect my HDTV to my PS2, the console was on but no picture. Something finally worked, fittingly on Good Friday last year. I had a blast playing Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain and Smackdown vs. RAW 2006 again.

Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain is probably my favourite wrestling game of all time, I put a lot of time into that game. The biggest strength is the gameplay, that's the most crucial aspect to me in any game and how it introduced body damage displays so you could focus where you wanted to attack. The Season Mode was terrific and what a loaded roster! The Elimination Chamber debuted in this game and the developers nailed the match at the first attempt.

Surreal seeing what's happened to real life wrestlers I created back in 2005-2007 for Smackdown vs. RAW 2006: Bryan Danielson, Kenta Kobashi, AJ Styles, Mitsuharu Misawa and CM Punk to mention a few. What I appreciate about the game is by beating the RAW and Smackdown Season Mode, it unlocks Unlimited CAW points so you can level up all CAWS. That's something the game has over Here Comes The Pain and the same goes for defending titles outside Season Mode.  I made new wrestlers to go with those: Ricky Steamboat, Brock Lesnar and Cesaro. Gameplay's great, ditto the roster.

I own Fire Pro Wrestling on the GBA, amazes me the amount of content on such a tiny cartridge. Such a diverse lineup of real life wrestlers and options in the Edit Wrestler mode. There's Kenta Kobashi! Mitsuharu Misawa! Bret Hart! One of my favourite gaming moments was getting a Critical with Vader while I waited for the National Media Museum to open so I could buy tickets for me and my Dad to see the very first screening of The Dark Knight (2008) in IMAX there, 24 hours earlier than general release. I do rue to this day deleting my save of a bigger ECW roster to go with WWF and WCW.

Edited by The Natural

Hated Smackdown vs. RAW 2008 and 2009 so I was pleasantly surprised by how I enjoyed WWE '13. This was THQ's last game and they went out on a good note. Attitude Era mode was a lot of fun minus Steve Austin vs. Kane with the Historical Bonus Objective: Hit the Stone Cold Stunner on Kane and pin him in ten seconds with Paul Bearer constantly interfering. Fuck that match:

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2020 at 12:09 PM, JonnyLaw said:

I just discovered Journey of Wrestling, which is a pretty basic but free version of something like EWR or Promotion Wars. It’s been a good time killer recently.

I started playing a few months ago, and I love it. Like you said, it's a great time sink, plus you can play it on your phone. I can't recommend it enough if you need something to scratch that booking itch. 

I moved a few of the old Virtual Basement wrestling game posts into this thread so I could also mention this news

IMPACT Wrestling has reportedly asked its wrestlers to pull out of an upcoming project that several of its roster members were already signed up for.

Virtual Basement and their upcoming professional wrestling game, which is set to be released on next-gen consoles, have signed on a slew of names outside of WWE for what is shaping up to be a very ambitious project.

Some of the names already signed on include Kongo Kong, Ken Shamrock, Jonathan Gresham, and even Cryme Tyme, JTG and the late Shad Gaspard. Also on this list included several names signed on with IMPACT Wrestling, including Su Yung and Kylie Rae.

Courtesy of a video from wrestling video game influencer, Smacktalks, talent signed with IMPACT Wrestling will no longer be allowed to feature in the game as IMPACT Wrestling has asked its wrestlers to not sign on with the project and the ones that have already signed on, they have asked them to withdraw, which they did.

Ken Shamrock is an exception to this rule, as Virtual Basement has confirmed that he will stay on as an active roster member in the game.

Fightful has reached out to IMPACT Wrestling for comment on this matter and will update this story once more information is available.

I find the whole “influencer” concept stupid  in general, but when you break it down to , not just wrestling influencer, but wrestling video game influencer.... ?

maybe if you’re Woods. 

Edited by odessasteps

Unless Impact is planning on making a game soon, that doesn't make any sense.

@odessasteps for the last WWE2K promotion cycle, WWE and or 2K Games did reach out to online folks to help promote the game. Didn't help them since the game was complete shit though.