DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

There was so much talk about games in the wrestling thread that I decided to create this general catch all thread.  Be the change you want to see in the world!

The title of the thread is a tribute to an awesome old site form the mid-late 90s, Rasslin Video Games (RVG).  It was consistently chock full of info about current and upcoming releases, guides, FAQs,  CAWs, etc.  Much much later in life, in a podcast, I heard Chris Hero mention that he wrote for the site back in the day.  Amazing.

I'm currently playing Toukon Retsuden 3 (New Japan) for the original PSX, using a modded Playstation Classic.  It's not piracy because I did pay for a hard copy of the game itself back in 97.  I love the game and had a sweet Ogawa vs Inoki match last night.  I've thus far avoided playing as Wild Pegasus.

So what are you playing?

Edited by Technico Support

Right now, I'm playing both WWF No Mercy and Smackdown 2.  I wish SD2 had more than 10 caw slots.

WWE 2K14, 2K13, 2K12, SVR 2010, SVR09, SVR 06, LOWM, AAA, Wrestlemania 18, DOR1, Just bring it are the rest of the western games I have. Used to have WCWNWO Revenge but it's probably in the garbage dump along with HCTP,  DOR2, Wrestlemania 19, and Ultimate muscle sadly.

Edited by D.Z
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

So when y'all fire up a wrestling game for the first time, who's the first guy that you try out?

For me it's always Vader.

Usually a good person to start with. Can't do it in the 2K games. The way big bois move around in that game feels so unnatural and wrong. Like they clearly don't have different animations for giant dudes and it doesn't work. 

Right now I'm kind of in-between worlds with TEW 2016 and 2020. 2020 has some serious flaws with its UI and some missing features. Conversely, it has made a huge leap in a lot of ways (attributes are such a game changer) but it's not been a great transition. The beta for the real world data dropped yesterday so I may fuck about with an AEW save to see how it plays with people I care about and don't look like they're from a PSX cutscene or Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2045 (enjoyed it despite the animation/look). Long term I'll be playing 2020 with two buds in an all-time save with drafted rosters. Here are our rosters below:

Mine (only one with a women's division)

draft1.jpg

Friend 1 (whom will go by such moving forward. You can really tell he was struggling for names late on, lol)

draft2.jpg

Friend 2 (You can also really tell he was struggling for names late on. RICKY FUJI. Top end of the roster is probably the best of the bunch)

draft3.jpg

I had first pick and was torn because while The Rock is great and all, I would find booking him kinda boring. We had AI companies partake in the draft so the world wouldn't be shitty, so WCW, WWF, Crockett, CMLL, AAA, NJPW, AJPW, AJW are fucking stacked too. If you see weird picks, like Kudo ahead of Bull, it's because they were going to get picked by an AI company ahead of the more logical choice. FMW not all that deep and Kudo played a significant role whereas there were several women who were bigger stars for AJW than Bull (not many though). Everybody was happy with their rosters, though I really wanted Lex, Sid, and Teddy Hart. Can't wait but it's going to be a while for the War of the Immortals data to be converted and then for me to go through it adjusting minor details because of OCD and then doing all the rosters and making sure it doesn't break the game. We better play several years in game. Drafting is still probably the most fun we'll have, hahaha.

We have game nights on occasion where we run fictitious memorial shows in which all three rosters get together to put on a show, play them out in a combination of Fire Pro and 2K and then use the results in our booking. Probably the most fun after drafting. Last save that was based on modern day wrestlers had Chuck Taylor beating my Bray Wyatt and some other disgusting upsets that broke TEW and it was pulled off by the least gamer dude of the three of us and the one that never plays 2K and doesn't play much Fire Pro these days either. Upsets in both kayfabe and reality. Great fun.

I will jump back into Fire Pro once people have figured out move creator when it's released and the majority of big moves are out there and well done so I don't have to redo fine tuning everybody twice or thrice over. It's timeless so I'm not worried about losing time with the game. Evergreen Fire Pro, bb.

Temped by all of the Toukon talk to fire up the N64 and play some of that along with VPW2.

Edited by Oyaji

I feel like I am constantly playing RAW and Royal Rumble for the SNES / Genesis. I always wanted to play Rage in The Cage for the Sega CD, maybe I will try to track that down sometime soon.

I was poking around the other day and saw that TNM 7 has new builds available, and that made me pretty happy. I fondly remember wasting days and weeks and months on end booking a TNM circuit somewhere around 2000-2001. I should grab it again and see what shakes out this time.

I just bought the deluxe FPW, so that will likely take away from my old school playing, but it's been so long since I have had any real meaningful time with Fire Pro, I am really having a tough time getting my timing back.

24 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Friend 2 (You can also really tell he was struggling for names late on. RICKY FUJI. Top end of the roster is probably the best of the bunch)

I disagree wholeheartedly. Your top end, and all the way down that list through Finlay is a fucking murderer's row. I'd watch that fed until my eyes bled. And it's not as if the back end of your roster is weak by any means. Lots of good names in there that you could very easily slot into programs with one another and put together a compelling product. Your buddy's line up is really good as well, but in a different sort of way. It's heavier on star power by a little bit, but not a huge chasm or anything, and your roster gets to me with a very "Wrestle And Romance" 6 man lunacy kind of vibe.

Also, I would sell my goddamn children to get to throw ZSJ in with that group of Michinoku guys. Well, maybe not my children. I'd sell someone else's children.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm really only playing TEW 2016 - ECW 2001, with Bischoff owning WCW. I've already had my top stars (as in: Jerry Lynn, The Sandman, Tommy Dreamer and Rob Van Dam all sign with WWF or WCW. Corino left as he's a freelancer and was being paid $20K per spot anyway). So now my main event program is Rhino as the ECW World Champion, going up against Meng, who left WCW a month ago.

I'm really struggling with ratings for matches and shows overall, though. @Oyaji, what do you think an ECW 2001 product style should be set to? I've tweaked the Product Appeal definition for the Hardcore Revolution preset, we'll see how it goes with the next show, Barely Legal. I'm trying not to use too many indie darlings/"names" from that time. The only ones I'm using are Christopher Daniels, Paul London, Jack Evans and The Amazing Red. Ken Anderson and Scott D'Amore are becoming pretty popular on my preshows, and the ECW faithful absolutely hates HC Loc.

In other news, I wanted to buy WWE 2K19 for the PS4 but that fucker is still full price while 2K20 is on sale everywhere. Insanity.

35 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

I feel like I am constantly playing RAW and Royal Rumble for the SNES / Genesis. I always wanted to play Rage in The Cage for the Sega CD, maybe I will try to track that down sometime soon.

The best noises in those games. Holy shit, do I love a good Royal Rumble in those games because it's just a cacophony of UGH, OH, EW, GUH, with fuckers eye poking and choking. I adored those games as a kid and I think they helped solidify my love for pro wrestling which was strong but definitely not what it would become. I was not raised to be religious but I would seriously go home and pray to God Thursday or Friday night that the local rental place had a copy of Royal Rumble. ? Ah shit, that is funny. What really matters to an 8 or 9-year-old boy. 

Also, I would sell my goddamn children to get to throw ZSJ in with that group of Michinoku guys. Well, maybe not my children. I'd sell someone else's children.

Yeah, ZSJ, Thatcher, Busick, WALTER in a Euro infused style working with the mPro guys would be awesome. 

I disagree wholeheartedly. Your top end, and all the way down that list through Finlay is a fucking murderer's row. I'd watch that fed until my eyes bled. And it's not as if the back end of your roster is weak by any means. Lots of good names in there that you could very easily slot into programs with one another and put together a compelling product. Your buddy's line up is really good as well, but in a different sort of way. It's heavier on star power by a little bit, but not a huge chasm or anything, and your roster gets to me with a very "Wrestle And Romance" 6 man lunacy kind of vibe.

Why, thank you! There are a lot of homegrown tag team ideas I have going on. I may end up picking up guys like Kroffat and Jason Jordan... or I may stick Furnas and Gable together. Regal and Finlay will be locked in an eternal struggle until maybe teaming up begrudgingly. Not sure. I like the idea of Sunny trying to fuck up the Golden Lovers tag team bond, too! TEW has national level battles that are judged primarily on star quality and the new one allows you to also have best show of the month feature into the judging of who wins and loses the battle, so that's where I may struggle a bit. They look at the average of your top 5 draws (star quality + overness), so I think my friends may have me beat initially though I don't think it's going to be too bad. Just Bret and Bryan aren't huge SQ guys, particularly the latter. I'm going to have to build up guys with high SQ like Omega and Muta to help out at the top alongside Austin, Sting, and Piper. That leaves Bryan, Bret, and Hansen as main eventers who may not be able to help out a tonne in the national battles but they're like... MY DUDES. Not sure if I want to make an indestructible trio of Asuka, Hokuto, and Bull for the women's division or have them all at each others' throats. Raven will need a flock too. Muraco was the pick I was probably happiest with later on because dude has the SQ and doesn't really have any weaknesses (I'm leaning towards '83/'84 Muraco when he was still really mobile yet had THE VASCULARITY). Lastly, there are so many people to team up with Dr. Death to make a new Miracle Violence Connection: Muta, Henry (leaning towards that - fuck would that be a terrifying sight!), or even Hansen giving him something to do other than work the tippy top guys. Golden Lovers vs. Stan and Williams? Heck yeah. Psyched to play but we're probably a good 4-5 months away.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm really only playing TEW 2016 - ECW 2001, with Bischoff owning WCW. I've already had my top stars (as in: Jerry Lynn, The Sandman, Tommy Dreamer and Rob Van Dam all sign with WWF or WCW. Corino left as he's a freelancer and was being paid $20K per spot anyway). So now my main event program is Rhino as the ECW World Champion, going up against Meng, who left WCW a month ago.

I'm really struggling with ratings for matches and shows overall, though. @Oyaji, what do you think an ECW 2001 product style should be set to? I've tweaked the Product Appeal definition for the Hardcore Revolution preset, we'll see how it goes with the next show, Barely Legal. I'm trying not to use too many indie darlings/"names" from that time. The only ones I'm using are Christopher Daniels, Paul London, Jack Evans and The Amazing Red. Ken Anderson and Scott D'Amore are becoming pretty popular on my preshows, and the ECW faithful absolutely hates HC Loc.

In other news, I wanted to buy WWE 2K19 for the PS4 but that fucker is still full price while 2K20 is on sale everywhere. Insanity.

Hmm, I ran a Lucha Underground inspired Universal Monsters promotion in our last save that was both a fucking blast to book and really effective at getting over both angles and matches. Prior to that, I did a '96 draft with the same dudes as above and went with ECW. Let me see what I had my product set as, because I was just spamming Raven promos like there's no tomorrow and was lucky enough to get '96 Austin. I think I just used the Hardcore Revolution preset but this was probably around 2016 when the last game came out. I can test it out in a bit here and get back to you.

Is this Genadi's 2001 WCW Lives deal and you just opened ECW up? Or is this another version?

33 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Is this Genadi's 2001 WCW Lives deal and you just opened ECW up? Or is this another version?

Genadi's New Blood (January 2001), but modified a little bit. Basically just popularity - to get ECW to Cult level, WCW out of the Cult level, etc. 

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

There was so much talk about games in the wrestling thread that I decided to create this general catch all thread.  Be the change you want to see in the world!

The title of the thread is a tribute to an awesome old site form the mid-late 90s, Rasslin Video Games (RVG).  It was consistently chock full of info about current and upcoming releases, guides, FAQs,  CAWs, etc.  Much much later in life, in a podcast, I heard Chris Hero mention that he wrote for the site back in the day.  Amazing.

Excalibur created the site.

I just play Firepro.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Genadi's New Blood (January 2001), but modified a little bit. Basically just popularity - to get ECW to Cult level, WCW out of the Cult level, etc. 

Okay, I forgot how annoying the sausage fest warning is when you don't have a women's division. Nobody wants to take even stunt bumps on the a PPV also. So I signed Sabu and I don't think anybody else, tied Dreamer, Lynn, and RVD down to written deals, got TV and PPV coverage and booked an episode of hardcore tv and Guilty As Charged. Neither were great successes or anything but it's a slow process with a cult promotion. I'd consider them minor successes in that while I'm still in the hole financially, both shows made money, particularly the PPV and both gained pop. (I had bumped ECW up to cult as you said). Both were rated 60. Had RVD main event vs. Lynn at the PPV, got 60, with the RVD promo before the match being the highest rated segment on either show at 67. I made sure to have a car crash match on each show, but usually don't bother giving them much time. Had Francine and Dawn Marie just do random cat fights because ECW and to avoid that fucking sausage fest penalty. It's not the best roster to start out with but think of the grades for matches/promos not an objective 0-100 but entirely relative to the popularity of those involved. 67 promo for RVD is amazing because he's only at mid 40s for most of the country. Corino defending his title against Tajiri scored a 53. Not great at first sight but when you look at his popularity of a lot of 20s-40s, it's a success. Tajiri seems pretty underrated for pop because he was lighting it up with Guido and Super Crazy for the last two years of the promotion's real existence and was a decent sized attraction for ECW. But he was just in a 53 rated match and starts at 14 pop in most regions of the States.

So with a promotion with only a handful of known stars/draws, you've really got to invest in a handful of younger guys you want to get over and inexorably move them up the card by putting them against more well known dudes and have them go over. Momentum is everything in TEW. I don't have a cheat or any wonderful strat that will make it easy or quick, unfortunately. And because we've bumped ECW up a level from where Genadi had them, even drawing even (not losing popularity) for the first few months will be a big deal until you can start getting most of the roster over.

Edited by Oyaji

I'm not playing any wrestling games at the moment, but Fire Pro and WWE 2K19 both stare at me from the coffee table while I play FF7. At some point I'll get back to Fire Pro and probably 2K19. I also know that I own Here Comes the Pain, but I have no idea where it is. I'd like to play that again too just to see what it was like.

Also, regarding Rage in the Cage, that was something I always wanted for the Sega CD, but I never got to play it before I traded away my Genesis and Sega CD. Also, funny story about trading that stuff away, it was to get a Playstation and this one wrestling game for the Playstation that was based off of Toukon Retsuden. It had really generic dudes in it with names like Chain Gang, but I dug the hell out of it back then. Not so coincidentally, my first Nintendo game was NES Pro Wrestling. I didn't get the NES with the Mario/Duck Hunt combo. I got the plain old NES and Pro Wrestling and I played it a ton.

I feel like I got most of the American wrestling games with maybe a couple missing from the older systems.  As for imports I remember playing the shit out of Fire Pro D and dealing with <100 pages for the translations.  Man, that was fun and so was the import version of GBA.  Thankfully the FP games after that were in English and I haven't looked back since.  I mean, who would have thought we'd go from transferring saves from a USB to just clicking Subscribe?  And now custom parts and mods too?  Shit, I would have been all over that back in the day.

And that's the great thing with wrestling games.  I'm technically a gamer but it would take a good bit to get me to play and stick with a non-wrestling game when I was younger.  I almost feel shame admitting to not beating games like Mario 3 until it came out on on NES Online.  Thankfully that's not as much of a problem now.  But a wrestling game?  I could play that for hours and hours until my mom would call me upstairs.  And even now if I decide it's Fire Pro or N64 night my wife just knows I'll be on that for hours on end.  Just something sublime about it where your imagination can go wild and you can just have a blast.  And if somebody pisses you off IRL just create him (or download/subscribe) and destroy them in deathmatches.  It's a weird kind of stress reliever though whether that's healthy or not is up for debate.

So long-winded story short wrestling games are my jam.  I have a fondness for pretty much all of them and that even includes Nitro.  Yeah, the game was shit my friend and I would stay up and play it non-stop and marvel when we could pull off whatever moves we could.  And now that we have the 64 setup I've been getting back into the likes of No Mercy and Revenge.  The only game left to get is VPW2 though I'm trying not to spend too much right now.  Hopefully once I stop being lazy I'll finish setting up the basement and get all the old systems hooked up.  Then in a weird full circle moment I'll be...well...back in the basement playing wrestling games for hours.  But that's how it goes, folks.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Casey said:

Physical or digital?  You can get a physical copy for $20 from most chain stores (Amazon, Best Buy, Gamestop, etc.)

I was looking at the Deluxe edition since it has all the DLC, and for most CAWs you need them. Plus it has characters that would be nice to have. I’m sure I can find a decent price on eBay for that edition if I really searched. Might do that this weekend at work, actually.

8 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

I think it was rvg.simplenet.com

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Power Move Pro Wrestling. 

Oh man, after the absolute shit that turned up for PS1, this was an awesome game. It was a port of Toukon Retsuden 1 and was my gateway drug to getting my PS modded to play Toukon 2 and 3.  I just tried out Dreamcast’s TR4 and it’s mighty fine so far...beat El Samurai with Muta in my first match.

• Like 2

I used to play the hell out of WWF Raw on Genesis.

Power Move Pro Wrestling was a revelation compared to the WWF games at the time. Then my cousin brought WCW vs. The World and we kept going back and forth over who got to use Sting. Even though they aged horribly, I put so many hours into WWF Warzone (2 memory cards for more CAWs) and Attitude (I remember I was a golf caddy that summer and worked Friday/Saturday/Sunday, took the bus to the mall after and bought it from EB Games, got some bourbon chicken from the food court and went home and played it all night). And that awful Nitro game and the first EA WCW game since I thought it would play just like the AKI games.

Then in 2000 we got a computer, I found out about emulators, then I want to say someone from this board mentioned Fire Pro Wrestling and I got a ROM of Fire Pro Premium X that was translated and it just goes from there.

I split my time between Fire Pro World and 2K19 now. I haven't downloaded the parts craft DLC so I haven't touched it yet since I'm worried some edits won't load properly. I keep meaning to start a season in 2k19 since I bought the deluxe edition on sale last year.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

I split my time between Fire Pro World and 2K19 now. I haven't downloaded the parts craft DLC so I haven't touched it yet since I'm worried some edits won't load properly. I keep meaning to start a season in 2k19 since I bought the deluxe edition on sale last year.

The patch since Parts Craft came out has helped considerably.  I haven't had any issues with all the parts that I added to the edits.  The only way you can't pick somebody is if they're missing a part that was recently added.  Which can be kind of humorous as if they're missing a head or waist part it's just a big ol' hole where the part should be.  But looking that edit up online and adding the missing part(s) takes care of it.

1 hour ago, Ramo2653 said:

So the parts don't download automatically? Yeah, that might be a project for next weekend if it doesn't warm up here. 

There should be links to all of the necessary parts from the edit's page, but you have to download them all individually.  It's not a great system.