DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

It annoys me that the chain wrestling and rest hold stuff still isn't back, because that really makes the early parts of matches just a parade of moves and combos that don't make sense that close to the start, but it's really cool how some of the position feeding animations from 2k19 are back; the AI seems really well tuned to respond to them and take the opportunity to hit e.g dives and rope moves organically without there having to be loads of slow motion dragging or Irish whipping. Seen some cool sequences on youtube

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

If anybody's playing WWE 2K23 on an Xbox, does Quick Resume seem to work? It hung about half the time on 2K22.

Not really? Because it tries to connect to servers, every time you quick resume, it can't re-connect to the server for me and I have to go back to the title screen. 

The career mode is pure shit. It's the absolute worst Vince McMahon-ism writing with Visual Concepts trying to be funny and breaking the 4th wall. 

So, is there no online GM mode?

• Thanks 1

I don't recall seeing online GM mode.  But the career mode is pure Vince bullshit though I found myself putting in more time to that than I wanted to.  I would say of the modes I tried so far it's by far the weakest and it's purely due to the story.  The mechanics are there but a better story would have made it worth playing.

Does the career mode at least get rid of the story telling mainly through “Twitter” thing that 2K22 did? I’m watching Chris Danger’s first video about it and it seems they have, but it’s only like 15 minutes. I can deal with a cheesy story or whatever.

They included an action figure John Cena in this thing so that’s kind of cool. And the CAWs look amazing, moreso than last year.

47 minutes ago, Casey said:

Does the career mode at least get rid of the story telling mainly through “Twitter” thing that 2K22 did? I’m watching Chris Danger’s first video about it and it seems they have, but it’s only like 15 minutes. I can deal with a cheesy story or whatever.

They included an action figure John Cena in this thing so that’s kind of cool. And the CAWs look amazing, moreso than last year.

Noooooope. It's all farming "likes" or whatever bullshit. Social media still matters.

The CAWs that I've seen on Reddit look fucking crazy good, or at least the one post with Mercedes Mone and Statlander did. Buttlander looks like she was made by the devs for the game.

It blows that the PC version is still working off of the last gen versions of the game because I would have just bought that so I could mod in entrance themes.

Also, no online GM mode blows. How do you not have that as a feature? It seems like it wouldn't be a very heavy lift to include it and do a live draft or an auto draft since it only takes less than 10 minutes to do that part. And then for booking shows that can all be asymetrical where everyone books their show, submits it, and then the game just sims the results. Add in a notification that all shows were submitted and the show is ready to be viewed and bam, you're all set.

After watching a lot of the UUDD GM Mode stuff, and after playing it on single player, it's a really cool and fun mode that's easy to get into. It would be a blast to do a GM mode with people on here.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

It blows that the PC version is still working off of the last gen versions of the game because I would have just bought that so I could mod in entrance themes

What difference does this make? 

It sucks that the career mode is back to dumb contempt for the audience wacky shit like the 2k20 one seemed to be. I didn't think the 2k22 one was bad, although the social media stuff was annoying. The storylines were just too self-contained. They really just need to make recyclable variants of the storylines that randomly recur as options to pursue, so you can be on any brand and have it run endlessly like the Here Comes the Pain one

Edited by Firebreaker Chip
  • Like 1

It's only been a few days of playing 2K23 and I'm about ready to uninstall it. So I'm playing Universe mode as Kevin Owens. Not an exaggeration, my first 10 matches were against the Miz. Then I got the prompt to start a rivalry or something and I was like, challenge for a title. So it puts me in a title match against Seth Rollins for the WWE Championship, which I win. The next show, another singles match against the Miz. Next week after that, another singles match against the Miz on a PLE. Then on Raw it auto starts a rivalry for me with Finn Balor, which was neat. But then the next 4 or 5 matches were ONLY against Finn Balor. I win all of those matches, it gives him a title match on a PLE, I lose that match because I fucked up kicking out on an attempt to try and boost the star rating, and the next 3 shows have all been against the Miz. 

This is so fucking dumb. I don't have any interest in playing random singles matches, I don't really have the time for online mode, I played MyRise and it's the worst Vince McMahon nonsense you can think of, and so that basically leaves Universe and GM mode.

I haven't bothered to check and see if anyone else has experienced the same issue with Universe mode, but this needs a patch or something because it's beyond ridiculous. Why keep playing when every match is against the same fucking opponent?

For fucks sake, not to beat a dead horse with No Mercy, but the storyline mode there was so fucking good with multiple outcomes and branching paths. Fucking do that again. No, instead you play a dude named The Lock or you play Universe mode against the same opponent over and over again.

The other part about Universe mode, which is the same problem it's had since its inception, is that the booking for the shows makes no sense. I have seen Roman Reigns win maybe a couple times. He loses all the time to Happy Corbin or Rollins or Jimmy Uso or whatever the AI decides to put him up against. The tag titles change hands probably every other show. I haven't even seen the US or IC title get defended once and haven't even seen Gunther on any of the shows. It's all basically just the most randomized shit where there's no rhyme or reason for anything.

The female MyRise career isn't that bad. My only strike against it is having the social media thing be a focal point again, but whatever. I mean, to be honest, from what little I've seen of the male MyRise career, it doesn't look terrible either. But that's only two videos from DenkOps' channel, so.

2 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

WWE ‘23 has personality logic now?  How does it compare to, say, Fire Pro?

Couple reviews I’ve seen so far have been good, so I’ll probably buy it this weekend.  Going to do a deeper dive into reviews tomorrow or Sunday,

It's just tendency-based, so you can set various actions' likelihood on a scale of 0 to 100, so theoretically Rock would climb the top rope rarely, Rey would often and Nash never would. It's like a much expanded version of a similar feature that was in the SVR games.

There's no move sequencing logic like fire Pro, which would be a good next step for it

Stuff in WWE Smackdown Shut your Mouth but not HCTP...

The two King of Ring modes, I quit match, and the streetfight match. The limited commentary. The climbing upwards to the sets entrances prop, so the Smackdown fist and KOR and one more I am forgetting.

Removed Moves:

Abdominal Stretch 1
The old Angle Slam 1, lands flat on back with no rolling
Book End 1, the normal book end with no theatrics 
The old Cobra Clutch
Diamond Cutter 1, they sent that animation to WMX8 on the Gamecube.
One of the sidewalk slams from PS1 days
One of the Wall of Jerichos, there are 4 in the game
Jeff's Twist of Fate
One of the floor ankle locks
Few more...

Some caw parts.

The camera angles on many moves. The special finisher camera effect.

It's the last game with the groggy and tieup grapples before HCTP.

What’s the CAW community like for WWE games these days.  I haven’t played a WWE game since SVR 06.  I assume you can go online and import CAWs directly into the game?  Lol, last time I played a WWE game, I had to use a GameShark to move saves from a USB stick.

I assume you can download CAWs and edit movesets and what-not?  Movesets of in-game wrestlers are still editable, right?

How many CAW slots do you have to work with?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

What’s the CAW community like for WWE games these days.  I haven’t played a WWE game since SVR 06.  I assume you can go online and import CAWs directly into the game?  Lol, last time I played a WWE game, I had to use a GameShark to move saves from a USB stick.

I assume you can download CAWs and edit movesets and what-not?  Movesets of in-game wrestlers are still editable, right?

How many CAW slots do you have to work with?

Thanks.

There are 100 CAW slots, and if you set up a 2k account the community creations are cross-platform so you can get the best version of each wrestler/arena/moveset /title available. If you don't like the moveset the creator gave them (which I often don't) you can edit it or download a different moveset from another creator to overwrite it.

The servers on Steam have been mostly down for me since full release, but at the times where they have been up the functionality for previewing and downloading Caws has been way smoother and faster than previous years.

Also cool is people can add custom renders to the CAWs themselves this year so they already have a proper matchup screen photo as soon as you download the CAW. Last year you had to manually assign them, and there was also a bug that corrupted saves if you downloaded more than a handful.

You can edit stats, skills ("paybacks"), AI tendencies and movesets for any wrestler

Finally got some game time in today, gameplay reminds me a lot of the previous version is I have no gripes with that. 
The only thing that I wish you could do was migrate CAWs from the previous version, I get why you can’t but it’s still frustrating. I downloaded so many dope CAWS on 22 that I’ll miss playing as until my favorite creators get updated versions up there.

The Ruthless Aggression pack is fun, the Prototype, Leviathan, early versions of Brock and Orton.

I just bought that pack this evening because I decided to do a 2002 WWE Universe mode rather than wait ages for all the good AEW or WCW edits to be ready. There's a Deacon Batista alternate attire for the Leviathan on CC that I'm gonna push with Devon as a manager. WhatsTheStatus has also managed to make a 2005-era non-bald Bastista alt attire available (you attach it to the Batista '08 unlocked in Showcase) as well.

I had to do a lot of wrangling and restarting to get the first Raw show to not be gibberish booking (and Scott Hall randomly decided to make Jeff Hardy come out as his manager as an angle instead of bringing Bischoff lol), but the in-ring in this game is so great.

I had great matches with Syxx vs Hurricane (Syxx on top suckering Hurricane with a fakeout handshake, weathering a feisty comeback and tapping him out with the chicken wing after Hurricane had splatted missing a suicide dive), RVD vs Kane (RVD jumping Kane at the start to try and get an advantage, but missing both frog splashes he went for at the crucial points of the match and going down to two chokeslams in a row) and then a barn burner main event with Shawn and HHH vs Lance Storm and Test that I let the AI run.

Both sides were taunting each other and exchanging blows a lot, Storm and HBK kept on having their superkick attempts dodged or interrupted, and when Shawn finally went for a superkick with a clear-cut window on Lance, Storm quickly went for a rolling boston crab at the same time and it interrupted the superkick startup totally smoothly and locked him in the submission. There were a couple of big nearfalls off HHH's spinebuster and Test's elbow drop, the pinfalls from the main finishers got broken up and the finish was a bloody triple H running along the apron with a jumping knee to knock Test off the apron to the floor where he was KO'd, then returning to the ring to drop a bloody, kneeling, helpless Storm with a vicious right hand for 3. A pedigree would've been better, but it had a kind of All Japan "doctors about to jump in the ring as soon as the bell goes" finality to it (and Michaels was in fact revealed to have sustained a minor leg injury after the match). Then Hogan and Nash came out to laugh at them.

I don't know if it's having the "disrespectful" or "egotistical" sliders up high, but certain wrestlers taunt very often earlier on in matches, and it almost leads to a kind of story-driven aspect to AI matches where someone hits a big running attack, stops to taunt, and then their opponent pops up and hits a running move to them and does their own taunt afterwards in a tit-for-tat kind of way. And the announcers are always like "he's not going to lie there getting insulted like that!", it's kinda fun. I'd still prefer my early pace-setting to be in the form of actual chain wrestling but I'll take what I can get

5 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Does the WWE game annoyingly change camera angles every 10 seconds like the real life counterpart?

You can turn off the camera cuts and/or the shaky-cam individually. The camera cuts in the game are way less maniacal than Mr KD's though, other than the occasional one entirely taken up by a shot of the ref's ass

• Like 2

My main complaint is they still have wrestlers do moves they don't do. I'm not a sim guy luckily but I can imagine it would be annoying to be watching a sim match and both wrestlers keep doing random shit not really in their arsenal. For my first match I played as Asuka (of course), went to the top rope and did a diving hurricanrana. I can assure you that Asuka has done exactly zero diving hurricanranas in her career, should have been a missile dropkick. Maybe I'm just a nerd, who knows.