DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

On 1/5/2023 at 11:33 PM, Log said:

Sorry if this has been brought up previously (I went back a couple pages), but is there a firm release date for Fight Forever yet? Got the kids a Switch for Xmas. My son saw an ad for FF and is stoked! 

Not yet, mate.

I'm playing and simmimg SD 2 on the PS3. Bit bright and looks different. I have the PS3 on the bigger screen mode, and turned on the fliter which cuts down on the jaggies. 

Tested the game on PS2, cleans up the graphics well and better than PS3.

It's more impressive to me when Retroarch cleans up PS1 games and makes Smackdown 2 look closer to the Dreamcast Royal Rumble game. More details just pop out and even way less jaggies. Faces are very detailed.

Edited by Red King

On the one hand, what the fuuuuuuuck.

On the second hand, my friends and I always thought some more were definitely doing more damage than normal.

Man, all these years later and I'd still bet my house my friend and I could beat anyone else in this country in a ladder match with KOs turned on. Too bad EVO would never feature competitive No Mercy.

Meanwhile, according to Meltzer who says he's been asking about Fight Forever, which is usually just carny for "it's a video game, I have no idea, I'll just make up an answer," there's no timeline for the game's release. As many of us who play games would know, if it's not a game that gets churned out on a yearly basis, then the game will come out when it comes out. I would think or hope that there would be a release date announced at Revolution.

• Like 1

A wrestling game and its roster being out of date by the time of release, name a more iconic duo. It’s already changed cover art three times now, too (it’s changed again since the last time when they removed Punk and made a new one).

Yukes The Pro Wrestling, released in 2000 for Japan.  Early version of Smackdown 1 and the game came out before Smackdown 1 on the PS1. 

For exhibition, only singles matches and 4 ways exist and another special singles match type with KO only.

Characters are selected from weird art squares, most of the wrestlers are weird looking.

Only one ring (grey mat) and arena, WWF attitude era style ring but with no WWF logos of course with black Puroresu ropes and blue outside mat and rails.

The game actually has more selling. Also the leg counter on the floor is different, you get kicked and stay down and sell. Even that falling backdrop suplex on all fours sell is there at times for other things.

The Boston Crab has the slow turn before applying it, the slow turn part is not in SD1. The picking up of wrestlers is slower compared to later Exciting Pro Wresting games.

The body damage meters are also in, with another meter that changes color and shrinks when damage taken and it never goes back up.

The Champ mode exist. Beat the already made in game edits and the champion to win the belt.

Only 4 edit slots with limited edit creation parts, more limited than SD1's CAS. No female parts like SD1 has sadly.

It was a budget game anyways from the Simple series, so like the Pro Wrestling 2 compared to Smackdown 2, the game doesn't have most of the features and options from the PS1 Smackdown 1 game.

It was gonna be released in USA in english but was cancelled.

• Thanks 2

Which one had deathmatches in it? I’ve seen a screenshot on a barbwire rope match before, I’m thinking it’s the second one?

Speaking of Yukes - I’m personally curious about the WrestleKingdom series.

The second game had deathmatches, but is faster with less selling. Has some women edit parts. All the wrestlers are based on real people, but have to be edited to look like who they should be. But players can edit them into anything else, so along with 5 edit slots, 30 edits. More than SD2.

The deathmatches can be selected by chosing what's on the DM screens. So fire, no ropes, giant fight cage, electric barb wire ropes, barb wire ropes, some of those can be mixed up. The mats to chose are normal, soft straw, concrete for rates of different damages. Other optionsncan be changed.

I have to go through the edit moves for both games. They are only listed by name in Japanese. No previews.

The WK games used the engine form the WWE Gamecube games but not every function, feature, options from those Gamecube games are in. There are functions, features, options, moves only in the WK games.

Edited by Red King

Online Pro Wrestling (PS2) was published by Enix, developed by Yukes, the game is SD4 SYM reskinned with different Puroresu inspired rings and arenas.

Some stuff can only be bought by using the online shop. There been attempts by fans to make the onllne work again.

The Hell in the Cell match was removed for obvious copyright reasons. 

The ingame made up characters are based on real wrestlers, non wrestlers (Paul from Tekken for example) and some share the same names of Edits from Pro Wrestling 2.

First images from WWE 2K23 and description (From Amazon) - some in the comments are saying these are allegedly PC mods from 2K22, so grain of salt and all that:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WWEGames/comments/10j8g14/wwe_2k23_info_and_images_from_amazon/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

The champ is here! Play through an interactive sports documentary, narrated by John Cena himself, covering the key moments and toughest opponents of John Cena’s storied 20-year WWE career. And in a franchise-first, take on the role of each marquee opponent - some of WWE’s greatest of all time - as you aim to take down Mr. Hustle, Loyalty, and Respect.

As someone who is less interested in the actual GAME than I am in simming for the purposes of streaming my shows.  The AEW game is very interesting to me to break up the some of the aesthetic monotony of the 2k games.

However, a lot of the recent news about 2k23 has me very interested.  Wargames aside.  Getting advanced entrances back and the ability to compel some cut scenes in an updated universe mode sounds great. My instincts say it’s all “pie in the sky”. But I guess we will see.

2k22 subtracted a bunch of stuff I used in 2k19.  So some good options to be creative with presentation makes the new game very tempting.  Of course 2k23 might be the only option in town for awhile.

• Like 1

I really hated 2K22 mainly because it's not what I think a wrestling game should be. At first I thought, cool, this game isn't total trash. But then after spending more time with it, it clicked in my brain that the game was doing a lot of the playing for you. It's a neat way to cover up for a team not knowing how to animate or make a wrestling game. It then made me think what the reaction would be to NBA 2K or Madden if it controlled like WWE 2K22 and I think people would universally hate it.

It's not so much you're playing a game, but rather you're hitting some button presses to watch the game play out a match for you. I just couldn't get into that.

• Like 1