DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

Interesting that Kenny's been quoted as saying both "I'm not satisfied yet, it needs more polish" vs "we're close to wrapping it up" recently. I wonder if they're just coming up against the commercial reality of needing to get it out, and preferably in the late year timeslot where it's occupying the space vacated by WWE 2k moving to spring, as opposed to competing against it

I did read some hands on previews from Gamescom saying the game was jankier and had worse hit detection than the video preview suggested, but I did wonder if they'd just preserved the built-in jank of the AKI games where you couldn't interrupt the animations of guys slowly getting up etc even if you were swinging a chair or coming off the top rope

• 2 weeks later...

Some sims from TGS here. Some targeting and AI jank to hopefully tweak, but it's looking good imo, liking Rosa's moveset

Cole vs Wight was actually a p good big man vs little man match before descending into a somewhat implausible finish, shows off some weight detection and some damage selling by Cole after hitting a move himself

Also some evidence of catching springboard counters and flash roll ups as ground counters

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

Also some evidence of catching springboard counters and flash roll ups as ground counters

Those were my big positive takeaways. Really felt a lot of No Mercy throughout with the pacing of Hctp. It's pretty much what we asked for. I would like to see matches run a little longer and for it to be tougher to land big grapples early but the core gameplay looks great. To this day I don't think there's a wrestling game that does high flying better than VPW2. We saw some nice springboards in the Punk/Omega match. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

A person's thoughts in a long thread on Fight Forever after playing it recently. 

https://twitter.com/MonsterBrunch/status/1571558886964088834?t=knF2m55bxRtPO3Fqb9efOA&s=19

that review is everything i wanted to hear. pumped for this game!

there seems to be a lot of CAW fans on here, who will be your first created wrestler?

personally, i can't wait to create the Question Mark (RIP) from pre-covid NWA.

• Like 1

I'm not. It's not going to be as hyper-detailed as what you see in WWE2K games, or even Fire Pro, but that shit takes way too long anyway. CAW shouldn't take forever to finish. It should take, like, 30 minutes.

• Like 6

Don't know how new this info is, but somebody on the Cutting Room Floor site posted a bunch of cut content, etc. for Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game.

The best part of all this, aside from Adam Bomb originally being set to be in the game and having recorded a lot of his animations, is that Curt Hennig was supposed to be in the game but he no-showed the capture session!

Edited by Technico Support
  • Thanks 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
10 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Don't know how new this info is, but somebody on the Cutting Room Floor site posted a bunch of cut content, etc. for Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game.

The best part of all this, aside from Adam Bomb originally being set to be in the game and having recorded a lot of his animations, is the Curt Hennig was supposed to be in the game but he no-showed the capture session!

Gaming Hell did a fairly in-depth look into it back in January, after TCRF posted their development article, and covered why Adam Bomb was cut (mostly storage reasons).

As an aside, I love both TCRF and Gaming Hell. So much good stuff there.

This reminds of the time I went grocery shopping with my mom and spent the entire time in the magazine section reading various wrestling and video game magazines and one magazine, I can't remember which, said that if you beat the game with all eight wrestlers you unlocked Adam Bomb.  So I spent an entire Saturday afternoon doing just that to be rewarded with nothing.  I was PISSED.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Vgmastr said:

This reminds of the time I went grocery shopping with my mom and spent the entire time in the magazine section reading various wrestling and video game magazines and one magazine, I can't remember which, said that if you beat the game with all eight wrestlers you unlocked Adam Bomb.  So I spent an entire Saturday afternoon doing just that to be rewarded with nothing.  I was PISSED.

You had to do them in reverse alphabetical order.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Vgmastr said:

I don’t know how much time I spent trying to “unlock” Akuma on Genesis Super Street Fighter like a real fuckin’ moron, so I feel you.  

The internet has a lot of good and bad, but it’s probably worth it just to be able to suss out bullshit.

7 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

If the AEW Fight Forever game gets good reviews, then it is best to buy two copies to help AEW.

I appreciate the notion but like... the company is owned by a billionaire, asking everyday folks to pay "extra" to make sure they don't end up taking a loss on this feels like misplaced I guess loyalty?

• Like 3

I'm kind of guilty of doing that at first when they started TV but thankfully that stopped rather quickly.  Though I've bought so many of their figures and a couple shirts that they get my money one way or another.

For the game if it's that good (and many signs point to that being true) then word of mouth will be better so their friends get it.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 10:58 PM, username said:

I appreciate the notion but like... the company is owned by a billionaire, asking everyday folks to pay "extra" to make sure they don't end up taking a loss on this feels like misplaced I guess loyalty?

Yeah. I mean. I bought Fire Pro World on PC and PS4. I'm not buying Fight Forever twice.

• Like 3

I’ll double dip if there’s a physical collector’s edition with some cool items (and I’ll sell the physical disc). If not, I’m just doing digital since that’s the kind of PS5 I have.

MIGHT buy it on Steam if it’s SteamDeck ready and it’s fun. That’s a big maybe though.

I believe from the translation that the skills he's referring to are when your special meter reaches the SIGNATURE point where you can hit a variety of Signature moves and then from there your meter will go into the SPECIAL mode where you can hit your finisher.

So basically, just a slightly tweaked version of the AKI system where now there's that second step before you get to do your finishers and we all saw that in the videos anyway.

The more important takeaways from that interview were the earlier parts where he was admitting what sounded like no knowledge of wrestling games from the SNES and PS1 era and how wrestling moves, like a bodyslam, should actually look. That exchange was a little...weird.

Edited by Craig H