DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Man, no sharing CAWs? That's a bummer. Takes me back to when everyone would have to post their formula and moves list for their CAWs.

Man, that takes me back. Making your own or using caws.ws website.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

Think there is some Ultimate Muscle: Legends vs. New Generation in there.

Fuck, that's a great game. My roommate in college bought that on a whim being completely unfamiliar with the cartoon, while I loved the show and had no idea there was a game. We didn't fuck with Smackdown vs Raw much after that.

• Like 1

AEW Fight Forever 

While the puff your chest and withstand strikes button is in, so is the evade mechanic from early Smackdown games too.

The sig/finish system from previous Yukes games is in.

AEW licensed music in the game.
Forbidden Door might be in the game. 
No Custom Belts, but lots of belts in the game. 
CPU vs CPU is in
Future DLCs/ and support 
LB is the grapple block, RB is the strike block 
You can modify the Pro-Wrestlers attires

Can't import external music but I guess modders can for the PC version.

Keep in mind there are no mocap animations. So Yukes had to get readjusted to making animations again.

Edited by Blue Dragon

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

I always skip past entrances anyway. The only time my friends or I would ever watch an entrance is if we had wrestlers doing really dumb shit during the entrance.

As someone who always tired of the WWE games' entrances and disabled them after a while, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the "mini entrances."  Show me the main part of a dude's entrance and then get to the match.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

Have cage matches in any wrestling game throughout the years been fun? 

Smackdown vs Raw 200... 6, I think? The one that introduced GM Mode... had the difficulty to escape the cage just right in my opinion. Both singles and tag cage matches were a blast.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

May depend if you can have juice or not 

It's AEW.  Word is there's a minigame where you have to try to keep Moxley from bleeding between getting out of the car at call time and getting to the ring for that night's match.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Smackdown vs Raw 200... 6, I think? The one that introduced GM Mode... had the difficulty to escape the cage just right in my opinion. Both singles and tag cage matches were a blast.

That's the one. Love Smackdown vs. RAW 2006. In my top four wrestling games ever with Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain, Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth and Fire Pro Wrestling GBA. Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain #1 then I would have Smackdown vs. RAW #2.

Edited by The Natural

This looks decent, like an actual logical evolution of the vpw2 engine rather than just a straight 1:1 cover, nice to see that they had more flexible special moves options including the corner to centre Boom knee thing and apparently the v trigger to an opponent slumped on the middle rope. I was never actually a fan of the AKI "taunt to get a finisher for a few seconds" system as applied to American wrestling, as it takes all the surprise out of a lot finishers that are better hit as a sudden counter. Maybe there'll be a way to store a slightly less powerful one or something.

I'm totally OK with this not trying to be a "you can download every created wrestler and have custom arenas and book a whole promotion" game as a first attempt, just happy that they seem to be able to have a reasonably big, current roster and have a deep pool of signature moves available from different positions so fighting styles seem varied and matches can go in different directions

Looks like they could do with slowing down some animations and adding some more pins, ideally including some pin combos and the old slumping one armed exhausted cover

Also don't know if there has been much footage of reversals, but I assume anyone worth their salt overseeing a resurrection of the No Mercy glory days would have insisted on a good reversal system as one of the first things on the to do list

The lack of CAW sharing makes me markedly more interested/concerned with what the roster of this game actually looks like. If the game is short twenty or so people who are borderline important to the promotion (thinking of your Dustins and what have you) and the only way to take care of that is to go back to copying formulas from the internet and having to manually enter them in for a half hour each... that's rough. That's a legit big feature to not have.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, username said:

The lack of CAW sharing makes me markedly more interested/concerned with what the roster of this game actually looks like. If the game is short twenty or so people who are borderline important to the promotion (thinking of your Dustins and what have you) and the only way to take care of that is to go back to copying formulas from the internet and having to manually enter them in for a half hour each... that's rough. That's a legit big feature to not have.

I was thinking the same at first, but then I saw a video with Abadon in it.  Abadon is rare if ever on Dynamite or Rampage.  I believe I also saw one with Angelico and/or Jack Evans.  I mean if either of them are in the game the roster would have to be huge right?

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

I was thinking the same at first, but then I saw a video with Abadon in it.  Abadon is rare if ever on Dynamite or Rampage.  I believe I also saw one with Angelico and/or Jack Evans.  I mean if either of them are in the game the roster would have to be huge right?

I think the bigger issue would be *when* the roster was finalized. Like is Athena in the game? Claudio? Shafir? I think the roster will be deep and will have all the originals in it, its more of an issue if the roster is nine months out of date. Which is fine, it happens and is expected, but may be disappointing to some fans if they can't easily download a CAW for them and there isn't DLC (still unclear).

• Like 1

Don't think the signings from the last 6 months or so will be in. Id be surprised if anybody past All Out from last year makes it in before DLC starts dropping. 

Edit: free and paid DLC were confirmed during the stream. They said in the past that they didn't want this to be a yearly release so DLC was always likely to keep it at least somewhat updated. I wonder if they'll get real ambitious and add things like features and modes not originally included or if all that is saved for a sequel if that's viable. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

I know they are still working on improvements, and from somewhat following the development process of RetroMania I know that collision tweaks are something that can be made up to the last minute. There are still some technical issues with the game in regards to moves not always looking smooth when hit, things like that. I think the gameplay looks fun, so I'll no doubt pick it up, but I do hope they can tighten things up a little over the next few months.

Its interesting as like whether everyone likes things about the game or not, 2K worked REALLY hard this past edition of making the WWE game at least smooth, its 1000% less buggy/glitchy than the edition before. But they had a base to work with. My only concern with AEW is if they do the idea of just adding more wrestlers to the base game is that some maybe "first time try" glitches or poor animations will not be corrected. I'm really good at overlooking these things (hell, I beat Cyberpunk at launch) and will play it regardless but I still the smoother the action looks the better.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I know they are still working on improvements, and from somewhat following the development process of RetroMania I know that collision tweaks are something that can be made up to the last minute. There are still some technical issues with the game in regards to moves not always looking smooth when hit, things like that. I think the gameplay looks fun, so I'll no doubt pick it up, but I do hope they can tighten things up a little over the next few months.

Its interesting as like whether everyone likes things about the game or not, 2K worked REALLY hard this past edition of making the WWE game at least smooth, its 1000% less buggy/glitchy than the edition before. But they had a base to work with. My only concern with AEW is if they do the idea of just adding more wrestlers to the base game is that some maybe "first time try" glitches or poor animations will not be corrected. I'm really good at overlooking these things (hell, I beat Cyberpunk at launch) and will play it regardless but I still the smoother the action looks the better.

I'm hoping Kenny and Tony have a good relationship with the game makers and that if there is any negative feedback they can address the issues. I was reading somewhere the demo version of this game already won some best sports game award (in Germany I believe)  so lots of hope for this. 

Yeah best sports/racing game at Gamescom but the competition didn't seem too stiff. 

Was there seriously no handheld footage captured beyond the clip of Punk hitting Wight from day 1? Damn.