DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
19 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

There is a 90% chance that the overall opinion of AEW's game will not be positive (probably deserved, first time efforts rarely deliver in this genre). Wrestling fans and video game fans are both difficult to amuse, and making a good wrestling game is actively hard which is why we keep talking about games from 20 years ago. I really don't know what they were thinking, sinking so much money into something that will be hard to get their money back from and could end up being a headache if its not well received. They should have stuck to the mobile games for a bit until they stabilized themselves.

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

I think 90% is fairly high. Look, if the game plays well and it's a fun multiplayer experience and the career mode is good then people are going to look past the graphics and barren features.

If it does all that then some will look past the graphics and barren features, but some definitely will not. That's less a knock on wrestling fans than how gaming fans simply are. Also as I said before... if any major features are missing or underdeveloped they are gonna get attacked so much by people going "yet you had time for all these mini-games".

I'm not saying they shouldn't have developed the game (it is hard to say one way or another before the game is actually out), but I think it is a very fair take to say that this was a fairly high risk move to make.

Things that got me immediately optimistic:

• Separate punch and kick buttons from Def Jam NY
  • Titty blocking (it's the dumb name my friends and I coined for what blocking looks like)
  • Backstepping
  • The wrestlers do have an action figurey look
  • It looks pretty nice or basically it looks exactly like how I want my wrestling games to look. I want them to look either like this, pixelated, or really exaggerated like in WWE All Stars

I mean, it's a very short clip, but I expect to see more clips from this over the next few days. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Things that got me immediately optimistic:

• Separate punch and kick buttons from Def Jam NY
  • Titty blocking (it's the dumb name my friends and I coined for what blocking looks like)
  • Backstepping
  • The wrestlers do have an action figurey look
  • It looks pretty nice or basically it looks exactly like how I want my wrestling games to look. I want them to look either like this, pixelated, or really exaggerated like in WWE All Stars

I mean, it's a very short clip, but I expect to see more clips from this over the next few days. 

The match-up screen even has the in-game models instead of real pictures of the wrestlers.

• Like 3

I was wondering why we just had this one clip so far and today is just for people in the industry whereas it's opened to the general public tomorrow. 

That looks pretty much like exactly what I want in terms of buttons. Looks like Show doesn't even register Punk's first couple of strikes. Giant setting or? Excited for the twitch stream. I hope they don't give us too much bullshit and just dive into the gameplay. 

19 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I was wondering why we just had this one clip so far and today is just for people in the industry whereas it's opened to the general public tomorrow. 

That looks pretty much like exactly what I want in terms of buttons. Looks like Show doesn't even register Punk's first couple of strikes. Giant setting or? Excited for the twitch stream. I hope they don't give us too much bullshit and just dive into the gameplay. 

It's the AKI blocking, that's why Show isn't affected by strikes.

He noticeably goes into aki blocking later tho. 

Okay, so they showed Cole vs Omega. I like a lot of it, like up to five sigs and finishers for wrestlers, the momentum meter from aki, but the animations are all over the place. The back suplex and German suplex are just way too fast. Avalanche OWA looked great though. I know it's more of an arcade game, but a little bit of selling would be nice. Didn't love Cole going on offense pretty much right after taking the standard OWA. Overall I'm happy with it. Looks fun. 

I will get the standard digital and physical collector’s edition (if there is one)

Definitely not mad that the entrances aren’t full ones, and it’s kind of cool that you can trigger the pyrotechnics during an entrance if you want. Kind of weird a cage match isn’t in, but the failed exploding barbwire deathmatch is.

40 fuckin’ weapons, geeeeezus.

I turned it off because Uno was giving me anxiety lol. 

I'm reading on the twitter that the mini entrances are going to be expanded upon for the final version, is that right? I don't really care too much either way tbh but it'd be nice to have the option. 

It really does look like a hybrid of No Mercy and Smackdown games though. That's awesome. 

Yeah, the speed at times looks like SmackDown 1 or 2 levels of speed. Same for the selling. I mean, Def Jam was an arcadey game, but dudes in that would sell moves. I'm hoping they can adjust some of that stuff.

I really like filling up your special meter to hit your signature moves first and then being able to hit your finishers after that. That's pretty cool. The rest looks a lot like an AKI game and I can't complain about that. The one sticking point is the speed at which some of those moves land and how wrestlers sell some of those moves.

• Like 1

Yup. I'd be fine with some of the sped up moves if they'd sell a bit more and do the AKI head holding once they're damaged. Something to signify that they're in a fight and a li'l fucked up. But the main pieces sure look like they're there. 

Have cage matches in any wrestling game throughout the years been fun? 

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Yup. I'd be fine with some of the sped up moves if they'd sell a bit more and do the AKI head holding once they're damaged. Something to signify that they're in a fight and a li'l fucked up. But the main pieces sure look like they're there. 

No Mercy? The Hell in a Cell from Here Comes the Pain?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jiji said:

look man I just want to move out of the way when Cody moonsaults off the top

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Yeah HIAC rule but traditional cage matches? Probably No Mercy is the closest. Those Fire Pro escape cage matches are a living hell. 

Okay what... You can't share creations? What the fuck? Why not? Even Fire Pro World's overburdened mini team figured that shit out, man. They gotta get that sorted.